Why become a member? ×

Excessive postage

neepheid

Just finished* an email exchange with an eBay seller in the USA wanting $60 to post an EMG 40P5 pickup to the UK. I think that's completely ridiculous considering I've had a 36 5/16" long, 3 1/16" wide, 1" thick neck blank sent to me for $40.

Anyone else agree with me, or am I being unreasonable?

* I assume it's finished - I haven't heard back after I told them that I thought they were taking the mick, in firm but slightly more polite terms.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='134522' date='Feb 5 2008, 05:12 PM']if you don't like the postage, don't buy it.[/quote]

I won't be. The jumped up charge completely negates any saving over buying locally once you take tax into account, which was the whole point.

[quote name='neepheid' post='134475' date='Feb 5 2008, 04:20 PM']Just finished* an email exchange with an eBay seller in the USA wanting $60 to post an EMG 40P5 pickup to the UK. I think that's completely ridiculous considering I've had a 36 5/16" long, 3 1/16" wide, 1" thick neck blank sent to me for $40.

Anyone else agree with me, or am I being unreasonable?

* I assume it's finished - I haven't heard back after I told them that I thought they were taking the mick, in firm but slightly more polite terms.[/quote]

Yup
That's excessive
SX basses only cost 80 dollars (£40) - that's a whole bass - by US Postal Service from Rondo ..

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='134621' date='Feb 5 2008, 08:09 PM']The USPS do a flat rate International envelope that costs 'a flat rate' (not surprisingly) $11 for up to 3 or 4lb in weight (can't remember exactly which)[/quote]

Cheers for that info. Don't think it'll matter in this case - looks like the seller's in the huff now :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='134656' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:08 PM']Cheers for that info. Don't think it'll matter in this case - looks like the seller's in the huff now ;)[/quote]

Recently bought a set of EMG jazz pickups and all the gubbins from the states for £48. He charged 25 dollars for postage. I thought that was ok considering it still only came to £60 for the lot!

Still hasn`t arrived though and that`s been nearly 3 weeks :huh:

It`s only a bargain if the bugger turns up! :)

Ask the seller for the weight and dimensions of the package and do your own calculation. For something that small, USPS will be cheaper than $60 for sure.

I had the same problem with someone sending me a Hicks Mender from Canada - he wanted me to part with £40 for postage but I logged onto Canada post and paid him £10 recorded delivery. In his defence though, I don't think he was trying to rip me off, he was just stupid.

[quote name='Dodge' post='134702' date='Feb 5 2008, 10:48 PM']Ask the seller for the weight and dimensions of the package and do your own calculation. For something that small, USPS will be cheaper than $60 for sure.

I had the same problem with someone sending me a Hicks Mender from Canada - he wanted me to part with £40 for postage but I logged onto Canada post and paid him £10 recorded delivery. In his defence though, I don't think he was trying to rip me off, he was just stupid.[/quote]

Hicks!