Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Giants

Gust0o

I'm considering some options following iCastle's kind repair of my Hartke 3500 head. Whilst I'm considering lightening the bass collection, I'm also looking at lightening the amp too - possibly leaving the Hartke at the rehearsal space where it can do some good, and picking up something light yet powerful for playing live.

My requirements would run as follows:

[list]Light
Powerful (c.350W or more) and able to be used in small venues
Ease of use
Bag over hardcase
Good rock tone
[/list]

It was suggested that something like the Ashdown Little Giant - in either 350W or 1000W incarnations - might do the job.

Was hoping we'd have some users on the forum able to share their experiences.

I'm open to alternative suggestions, of course. Budget-wise, I'm afraid I have a loose crown - so assuming my dentist leaves me something, I'd not want to pay more than £400 either new or second-hand.

My first couple of suggestions out the box, would be look at:
Orange Terror - A shade over the 400 mark. Rock tone (in my mind), valve pre, limited eq, loud!
Galien Kreuger MB500 - a shade over £400 again - lighter and smaller than the terror, solid state, flexible tone, also loud!
Ibanez Promethean - I've no experience with this unit, but some nice reviews.

I think GK have sorted the intial problems with these that were reported on, and I love my Terror Bass, but it was a toss up between the two.

My experience with Ashdown, contrary to many round here I think, was not good. I had the superfly for a short time, which had its problems, and the customer support really didnt help, however this was 4 years ago or so.

I believe a few people here use the LG, but I havent any expeirence I'm afraid. There's probably a load of others I've missed around the price mark as well.

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Some people have found that the LG heads have the same problem as the Superfly regarding the mismatched pre and power sections. A recent thread over on Finnbass (very interesting, check it out) shows that with a boost of some sort in the effects loop even the 350w can be a decent amp with enough volume. Still quiet for it's rating though apparently.
I'd rather go for the 1000 if i had to choose though.
Also bear in mind that although the 350 works like a traditional one-sided amp (350w @ 4ohms), the 1000 is 2x500w @4ohms each.

That said, £350 will bag you a used LMII and around £250+ will get a used LM250, so there is choice at that sort of price range. Tbh i don't think Ashdown have really got the micro head thing right yet, still trying one out is the only way to know for sure.

I'd go with a used LMII personally as it has bags of power and is a bargain second hand, also ultra-reliable.

[quote name='Gust0o' date='Mar 28 2011, 11:36 AM' post='1179290']
I'm considering some options following iCastle's kind repair of my Hartke 3500 head. Whilst I'm considering lightening the bass collection, I'm also looking at lightening the amp too - possibly leaving the Hartke at the rehearsal space where it can do some good, and picking up something light yet powerful for playing live.

My requirements would run as follows:

[list]Light
Powerful (c.350W or more) and able to be used in small venues
Ease of use
Bag over hardcase
Good rock tone
[/list]

It was suggested that something like the Ashdown Little Giant - in either 350W or 1000W incarnations - might do the job.

Was hoping we'd have some users on the forum able to share their experiences.

I use a LG1000 occasionally, I was given it! the preamp is a great sounding one, sounds very much like a trace elliot series 6, the eq is really easy to use once you get your head round it. Flat its middish, typically tracey series 6 sound, which would give you a rockish tone, but its pretty clean, with a great deal of fidelity. Has two presets a deep, which turns it into a very old school thump, very warm (well for a valve less ABM ish sound) then it has the typical trace type preshape i.e boosted lows, scouped mids, boosted attack. The problem with the preamp is you have to feed a pretty strong signal into it, so when I use it with older jazz basses I usually boost the input signal with a Art valve mic preamp, sounds great.

Now onto the power amp, I have not tried the 350watt but the LG1000 does not feel like 1000watts, I would say with both side of the power amp up into diff cabs (they cannot be bridged) it feels like 300 watts amp max, this is with most other cabs I have tried in rehearsal studios etc (obviously I don't run it like this, but in the interest of science and what not). But I have found this with all of the lightweight stuff I have tried, it doesnt have enough transient response for me, but for rock it should be ok. Having said all this if you can find one or two of the superfly cabs, they are a fantastic little setup, I have a Superfly 484 which is basically 2 x 8 cabs in one cab 500 watts a piece fantastic. I think these drivers have a very high SPL. I have since tried it in a old Ampeg 8x10 which BP102's in it sound great and as loud as you like, but hey I guess thats pretty pointless. All I am saying is you need a good high spl cab to go with it.

If I had to buy this kind of thing I would be looking at a 300 watt shuttle prob best of what I have tried (of course there are high powered ones but £). Orange terror is also ok but £

I've said this before on here, but I'm afraid I'm in the "Not a Big fan" camp re: the Little Giants. I waited 7 months to get hold of one of the first of the amps-if not THE first-in the country back in 2009(So I stumped up the deposit back in 2008). Finally got it. It sounded great through the music shop's Warwick 4x10". Thought it'd be the perfect replacement for MY Hartke HA3500. After that, it got increasingly worse over the course of the year. At one gig, Some the buttons fell off & the DI didn't work. 9 months later, It packed up at a rehearsal a few hours before a gig. 3 months after that, the same thing happened at an audition.

I could have just had a bad one, but I wouldn't recommend one without you at leats trying it first. Even THEN, I say go for one of the MANY other small amp options.

[quote name='indiegrungesound' post='1179745' date='Mar 28 2011, 05:03 PM']I've said this before on here, but I'm afraid I'm in the "Not a Big fan" camp re: the Little Giants. I waited 7 months to get hold of one of the first of the amps-if not THE first-in the country back in 2009(So I stumped up the deposit back in 2008). Finally got it. It sounded great through the music shop's Warwick 4x10". Thought it'd be the perfect replacement for MY Hartke HA3500. After that, it got increasingly worse over the course of the year. At one gig, Some the buttons fell off & the DI didn't work. 9 months later, It packed up at a rehearsal a few hours before a gig. 3 months after that, the same thing happened at an audition.

I could have just had a bad one, but I wouldn't recommend one without you at leats trying it first. Even THEN, I say go for one of the MANY other small amp options.[/quote]

Mine has seen at lot of use, you must of had a dodgy one......, but i echo your comments they are low rent items (cheap parts) but produce a decent sound, if you can get over their inherent design defect (pre power amp loading) and you treat them with kid gloves they are pretty good. What I cannot understand is the little giant and for that matter the superfly were partnered with the superfly cabs , which where high end UK made cabs of good quality, that were expensive, bit of a mismatch. Would have been better to do a good quality lightweight head like everyone else as the Preamp on the LG is pretty good, then they would have a bench mark. But I guess they don't care as the LG /Superfly sold pretty well. If I had to buy a lightweight I would be looking at a genz shuttle or mark bass secondhand. Cheap gear is a false economy, my LG1000 has been retired from front line rehearsal duty unless i have to get the tube, for the most part I use a 1992 series 6 trace Elliot head, bought it new, never had any problems with it apart from a few dry joints, reckon I have got my coin out of that, quality counts, but quality costs money

So, is the consensus that these are ok - but with some horryfing exceptions - but that there are definitely better options available in the lightweight space?

Assuming I would need to scale my budget up/stop drinking coke to fund, with the usual suspects being GB, Orange and Markbass? £600-£700?

You could pick up a s/h TC Classic around that ballpark £, and for rock tones, I'd rate the Classic/RH450 above the MB stuff. The Tubetone works really really well - even better to my ears than the actual tube in the Shuttle stuff. Ticks all the other boxes re. small, light and LOUD.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1180651' date='Mar 29 2011, 12:08 PM']You could pick up a s/h TC Classic around that ballpark £, and for rock tones, I'd rate the Classic/RH450 above the MB stuff. The Tubetone works really really well - even better to my ears than the actual tube in the Shuttle stuff. Ticks all the other boxes re. small, light and LOUD.[/quote]

No experience myself with the TC but from what ive read i would also suggest the Classic. In fact im hoping to replace my MB SA450 with one when i can sort it all out.

Since I own both a LG1000 and a LMII I'll chip in with a comparison.

LMII. Top quality solid build. Warm and very useable sound and very loud. Excellent all-round gigging amp. I love mine. Hard to beat as a used buy at the current £350 to £400 they seem to sell at these days.

LG1000. Just okay build. Will stand up to gigging if you are gentle with the controls as they seem flimsy. I'm a careful owner and have no problems.

It's a much better sounding amp than most people seem to think. I wonder how many peeps have actually used one in anger? Full volume on the preamp and EQ to your taste and these things sing. And the volume is good but slightly less than the LMII. Still pretty loud though.

I reckon these are great value if you're on a tight budget or want a cheaper back up at around £200 used.

I'm happy using either. The LMII is my favourite but it comes at twice the price. Your choice.

Frank.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1180629' date='Mar 29 2011, 11:49 AM']So, is the consensus that these are ok - but with some horryfing exceptions - but that there are definitely better options available in the lightweight space?

Assuming I would need to scale my budget up/stop drinking coke to fund, with the usual suspects being GB, Orange and Markbass? £600-£700?[/quote]

Yes they are ok for the 'money' I have learnt by bitter experience over the years just not to bother with cheap gear, when I didn't have quite enough money ha ha I went through quite a few bass amps, no names mentioned, what I should of done at the time (a long time ago hahah) is just buy the best, the best at the time (that i liked) solid state was trace elliot. If I tot up all the money of these other amps compared to the trace, i prob spent double or triple the cost of the trace unit. I still have this bass head a Trace Elliot A200 Series 6, it still works great after 20 years......

Higher end stuff is generally more reliable, even more important, fixable and when you have had enough of it floggable and you will suprised how little you loose on residual value. I would get your Hartke repaired, then if you really want light go uber, you want Aguilar, Eden, SWR. Genz (higher spec models) Markbass, etc yes I would be honestly looking at £6-700 minimum. I would prob go for the eden trav or something like that. But also never order online, if you spend a day going to Bass Blah whatever you will be able to try em obviously, but also you will be able to haggle some serious discount!!!

The LG were out for a couple of years ask around how many people are still using them, I wonder why as they sound pretty good............

I still think the GK and Orange are a great bank for the buck, reliable and more affordable than a lot of the competition out there. Both the orange TB and GK MB500 can be had for £419. They are great heads from reliable manufacturers. Second hand and more comes into play. I dont agree that a minimum of £6-700 is neccessary to go for a decent micro.

Definitely play them though before deciding. I thought I'd be going in for a TC, and walked out with a terror bass, after a toss up with the MB500.

[quote name='dan670844' post='1180742' date='Mar 29 2011, 01:29 PM']The LG were out for a couple of years ask around how many people are still using them, I wonder why as they sound pretty good............[/quote]

That's it i think. I actually really like the sound of my Superfly and it gets daily use (it's my practice and rehearsal head). If Ashdown had got it right and not compromised on the design and build then it would be such a great little amp.
Unfortunately the LG have had the same reports of flimsy controls and weak mismatched preamps, shame really as they represent a missed opportunity to get a little lightweight head at entry level prices.

Has anyone used these yet?
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ba500h.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ba500h.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ba250h.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ba250h.htm[/url]

Sorry, to make clear, I've had the Hartke repaired - by Basschat's own iCastle, who did a great job - it's simply heavy as sin and ageing, hence my thought to get myself some options. I think it will happily sit in the rehearsal space.

I have a Little Giant, and I've been very happy with it. It gets no special treatment, and I've done around 25 lengthy gigs with it using a variety of cabs. The constant is that I have always run it pretty much full up, or certainly at the point where it was working hard. No trouble yet. Blew up my previous Ashdown (the cheap 300w 1x15" combo), but that was pretty much a case of sending a boy to do a man's job. I find the Little Giant very clean, and run it flat - more or less - with the deep button engaged. I paid £270 for it new, and if it dies tomorrow then I shan't be in tears. Good amp in my opinion, although doubtless there's better stuff for more money.

As regards input level, I agree that it is not the most sensitive amp in the world there. Fortunately I play a BB414, which I tend to have to use on the active input if I'm really going to hammer it, playing power chords and so forth. Basses with less output, and I'm looking at you Fender P or at least the ones I have had, might reward a bit of boost on the way in. Interesting that someone mentioned the ART valve mic preamp here. I have a couple of these 50 quid wonders and use them for all sorts of stuff. Great valve overdrive for a guitar, for example. I will now proceed to try one between a P-Bass I currently have around the place and the Little Giant.

I've heard the Little Giant has had reliability issues, and every single Superfly (predecessor) that my local music shop sold blew up, so what can I say? Mine's alright so far. No quibbles with the sound at all, I like it. I suppose it will come down to whatever you are prepared to pay and what you're expecting for it. I tend to regard cheaper gear as cashflow help, not a long-term solution. But then sometimes it surprises.

I’ve been using a Little Giant 1000 for 12 months and have had no problems. But one thing some users may overlook is that the underside gets quite hot in use and since the amp is supplied without any feet on the underside, this surface is in direct contact with top of your speaker cab. This is bound to prevent efficient cooling, which is not a great idea for longevity. To get round this I just put some self-adhesive feet (available online from Maplin) on the underside of my LG, giving a gap of around 1cm below the casing to allow better airflow.

When deciding how much to spend on an amp, my view was that even an expensive amp can break down (and posts on this forum confirm that they do), so however much you spend, it’s still wise to have a backup - at least if you're gigging regularly. Much as I’d like a high-end amp, my worry was that if it goes wrong, is it going to cost more to repair – a bit like owning a BMW as opposed to a Ford? The Little Giant and the Superfly that I have as a backup cost me £240 and £199 respectively and at this price level, if one of them breaks down I would probably consider just ordering a new amp as an alternative to waiting/paying for a repair.

Hopefully just some food for thought.

Edited by Krysbass