Why become a member? ×

flatwound strings

daniel collin

[quote name='daniel collin' post='1174003' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:31 PM']hey peoples,

just wondering what the main difference is between the flat wound strings to the normal strings

i you could give me some info that will be most appreciated

dan[/quote]

As for me a flatwound string is normal, i am wondering what you mean with normal :)

If you mean the difference between flatwound and roundwound..just take a guess what the difference may be!?
soundwise, in my oppinion the rounds seem to have more bite, more highs, more piano.
Flatwounds played alone without a band, may sound boring as a first impression to you, but if you start playing in the context with your band for example,
you will learn to love them, as you have a better assertiveness and punch.
Like sound always is, just a question of taste.
Give your ears some examples on youtube and you will get a good impression about the main difference

for this file i used flats on a p, if you wanna listen for an impression
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4194859/lc%20vitjo.mp3"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4194859/lc%20vitjo.mp3[/url]

Edited by 73Jazz

I've just popped flats on a new bass.

First obvious difference was much higher tension (although the other strings were VERY floppy). Next, plugging in - all the clank and clang has gone (forget popping) and instead there's a woody bassy punch.

On a soft-toned bass they'd sound flabby, but on a crisp bass they sound punchy and rounded.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1174044' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:54 PM']First obvious difference was much higher tension[/quote]

That has nothing to do with flatwound.
As on rounds, just a matter of set and brand. Thomastik Infeld for instance have no high tension.

[quote]First obvious difference was much higher tension[/quote]

That's not a quality unique to flatwounds - I use Thomastik Flats and they are very, very low tension strings. Almost like rubber bands. I guess it comes down to the materials used.

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1174048' date='Mar 23 2011, 10:57 PM']That has nothing to do with flatwound.
As on rounds, just a matter of set and brand. Thomastik Infeld for instance have no high tension.[/quote]

Beat me to it!! :)

I'm not sure anyone has made it clear to the op what the difference is? Flats are made from flat wire wrapped around an inner core so the feel smooth like coated washing line for example where as rounds are the same but because the outer wire is round you call feel all the ridges between each wind around the inner core, does that make sense OP?

(I know my description isn't a full breakdown of every make and model of string ever produced, it was meant to be a simple answer to the main difference between the two types before I hear about how DR's aren't like that etc :) )

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='daniel collin' post='1174003' date='Mar 23 2011, 10:31 PM']hey peoples,

just wondering what the main difference is between the flat wound strings to the normal strings

i you could give me some info that will be most appreciated

dan[/quote]

This may help :) [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:strings"]Click Me[/url]

& if you can't be bothered reading, then just go & buy a set of TI Jazz flats & be happy :)

Main differences are rounds are usually zingy & bright, flats are usually more bass & mid & hardly any zing (a good thing to me) & flats usually last many years longer than rounds do!

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1174017' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:40 PM']As for me a flatwound string is normal, i am wondering what you mean with normal :)

If you mean the difference between flatwound and roundwound..just take a guess what the difference may be!?
soundwise, in my oppinion the rounds seem to have more bite, more highs, more piano.
Flatwounds played alone without a band, may sound boring as a first impression to you, but if you start playing in the context with your band for example,
you will learn to love them, as you have a better assertiveness and punch.[/quote]

As a recent convert to flats, I completely agree. They're great in a band context, but can seem a little dull when practicing or playing solo. Love 'em in the band, and my poor old fingers do too, far less wear and tear.

[quote name='watchman' post='1179042' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:48 AM']As a recent convert to flats, I completely agree. They're great in a band context, but can seem a little dull when practicing or playing solo. Love 'em in the band, and my poor old fingers do too, far less wear and tear.[/quote]

Although, Rotosound flats are quite rough and can be hard on your fingers if you slide around a lot. As I discovered on Friday when we played Teen Spirit for the first time in ages.

I must confess it's the kind of question that will get you loads of different answers. So sticking my oar in, Flats are more old school tone compared to the brighter sound of roundwounds. If you like older music or play fretless they are definitely worth trying. I wish I'd taken the plunge about 10yrs before I did!

I know it's been said before but...

[quote name='daniel collin' post='1174003' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:31 PM']just wondering what the main difference is between the flat wound strings to the normal strings[/quote]
Flats are the norm in my World too! :)

I've got a set of Chromes (flats) on my Ric 4003.

Agree on the above that with practice, or through a little practice amp, they sound very dull indeed.

But crank them up with a decent amp in a band/volume context, and the difference is immense.

I used to find my Ric tone a bit 'bottomless' - put on the flats, upped the treble settings a little, and now it sounds superb....very bass-y at the top end as well.

It's really up to the individual - I for one prefer the J+P tones with rounds - but the Ric just needs the flats!

Maybe try some half-wounds first to see if you like them? That's what I did - took the plunge gradually!

Edited by spongebob