Why become a member? ×

How closely does your backup bass resemble your main player?

ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='1173909' date='Mar 23 2011, 09:24 PM']Main bass = stingray. Back up = another stingray. Only take 1 bass to gigs as they're mega reliable[/quote]

Funnily enough, snapped strings aside, the only time I had a bass mysteriously pack up on a gig only to be fine again afterwards at home was: a stingray. :-/

I'm another one that always takes a back up bass; both mine are very similar indeed.

[quote name='Duarte' post='1174124' date='Mar 24 2011, 12:40 AM']I only have 1 bass, so that's not a problem.

I've been playing 9 years and can't remember EVER breaking a string...

Who breaks strings!?[/quote]

I do! * Strapping on another instrument halfway through a tune is a much quicker process than fitting another string and avoids losing the impetus of the set.Back up instrument is essential,also being able to get to it...The one time I broke a string at a gig my spare was tucked away totally out of reach.Never again.Plus having a spare on a stand looks damn cool.
Back to the original question,my main bass is a 78 Precision,and my spare is a Tokai Precision,so it resembles it closely.

*Damn you Rotosound!!

With 4 very different basses (acoustic upright, WAV, Jazz defret, Warwick fretless) I generally just take whatever I think is the one for the night.

Mind you if I get it wrong and end up playing a night of thrash metal on the acoustic upright the end result can be more than a few blisters...

Generally the WAV is the safe option - I've gigged and recorded everything from metal to trad jazz on that little sucker, and it always fits the bill. And it don't need no steenkin' batteries :-)

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

I always carry two basses. One of them is always my main Fender Jazz,the other depends on my mood but is often a Fender
Jazz 5 or my Shuker 5. Sometimes the 5 sits as a backup if I feel like using the 4 string Jazz,other times it's the other way
around. Either way,I have 2 basses at a gig and one is always my Jazz. Even on an upright gig,the Jazz is there just in
case.

I didn't used to bother with a backup as I only ever had one bass at a time.

Both basses get equal use. Whichever one I pick up at the start of the night is the one I gig with for the whole night.

I don't remember the last time I broke a string either but itll be pricey if I do cos both basses have Rotosound flats

I carry two basses to gigs, but mainly for tonal differences. My main bass is a thru neck spector with EMG's and my other bass is a USA P bass with maple fretboard. I use different strings on them too, D'addario pro steels on the spector and rotosound rs66's on the fender. I love the P bass but working in a covers band i tend to stick with the spector the majority of the time as its just a bit more versatile with the EMG's and the tone pump,it's also got a Hipshot D-tuner fitted which i haven't got round to doing to the P yet, so most of the time the P bass is just there in case i need it.This obviously didn't go down too well with an older guy at a recent gig who told me after the show in his best angry drunken voice " you need f***ing shooting for leaving the precision sat on it's stand all night"!!

My main bass is a white MIM Jazz with a Gotoh 201 bridge, SD Basslines Hots and a Hipshot D-tuner. My backup is a sunburst MIM Jazz with exactly the same setup, so almost identical! I never take the backup to rehearsal, and only occasionally to gigs if we have a long set, but it gets a lot of home use.

Obviously going to sound a bit over the top, but for my last gig I took my Fodera Monarch Yin Yang as the main bass and my '86 Monarch as a back up - this was a for a small hotel birthday party gig paying me about £75.

I do also have an 'interesting' Fodera Russian clone that I recently picked up so will probably use the '86 as main bass & the Russki clone as back up :)

I often have 2 very similar basses on the go as I sometimes have to leave one at the rehearsal rooms.