Why become a member? ×

Mastering?

theosd

You need some sort of mastering limiter.

Depends on your budget really.
But this link has a freebie...[other freebies to]
And a lot of music mags praise the Warm sounds from these plugs . :huh:
Nothing to loose....FREE.. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

T-Racks was/is great...
But if you are going to pay for the software....
Ozone is a well respected Piece of Kit..
All in one Mastering Package , with Pro results.

[url="http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/"]http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/[/url]
There is also a downloadable PDF ,
With a Fantastic Insight in Mastering ,
Well worth a look.
But at the end of the day , you still need a pair of ears :)
Cant beat a well experianced engineer.

Garry

I quite like waves. You will never get commercial standard mastering yourself but some clever compression, soft limiting and careful Eq can really go a long way whatever you use.

At the end of the day, if its too quiet the listener will turn it up, if its compressed to the point of distortion the listener will turn it off.

Good luck.

G

[quote name='BassBalls' post='134169' date='Feb 5 2008, 10:59 AM']If you normalize the audio files it will make them louder. I know adobe audition has this function, not sure about audacity.[/quote]

normalizing a track will also make the unwanted background noise louder, you need to usea multiband compressor and a mastering eq, or get a finisher?

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='137917' date='Feb 11 2008, 12:23 AM']normalizing a track will also make the unwanted background noise louder, you need to usea multiband compressor and a mastering eq, or get a finisher?[/quote]

True but you would do the compression after the normalizing. There is always going to be unwanted background noise, gating will also help get rid of this too.

You use a multiband when mastering 'cos you might want real hard compression on the lows, for example, and really soft, or no compression on the high-mids, or whatever you like. Multi-band compression tends to sound more natural, because the whole mix doesn't pump just from an extra loud kick or something, just the lows.

theosd - If you haven't got a sound you like yet, i'd love to have a crack at mastering them for you! Let me know.

Mastering plug-ins I like - Waves C4 multi comp, Waves Ultramaximizer, Waves Maxxbass(if required)

I like the tape sim that comes with cubase, but not sure what it's called.

Voxengo do a free VST stereo spectrum analyser, which is almost essential when mastering IMO. Especially if your monitors aren't that good.