Why become a member? ×

Cheap Basses question

alhbass

Anyone have experience with Hofner basses? I've heard they're good value, given their low price, but would be interested to get some BC feedback on that one..

Also / alternatively - I'm thinking of buying a Danelectro to have as a spare instrument (don't have a backup at all at the moment), and quite liked the second hand Longhorn I tried the other day - but can anyone out there tell me whether it's available in a longscale version? I know other Danos come in both long and short scale versions (eg the 63 RI), but I've not seen a Longhorn longscale so far....

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='1171615' date='Mar 22 2011, 12:38 AM']One of my students has one of the chinese Hofners.
The built quality is awesome especially considering the price point. It isn't a one off either, i've played another one of the hofners in a friends shop and it was also as good.

For the cash i think they'd be hard to beat[/quote]

Thanks guys - that's what I needed to know!

[quote name='alhbass' post='1171512' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:10 PM']I know other Danos come in both long and short scale versions (eg the 63 RI)[/quote]
Not for much longer apparently. According to April's 'Guitarist' mag Danelectro are discontinuing all their basses bar the Longhorn and the 'dolphin nose' 56. Madness.

[size=1]Totally wrong-looking Dan in black. [/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

As a huge Beatle and McCartney fan, I bought a Hofner contemporary series violin bass. It sounds great in having the thump sound, but I'm not overly impressed with the bridge adjustment. I like a low action and I can't really get there with this bass.

General build quality is good though. I use it for about 10% of live gig songs (mainly Beatles or 60's of course!)

[quote name='sussexbassman' post='1172825' date='Mar 23 2011, 12:43 AM']As a huge Beatle and McCartney fan, I bought a Hofner contemporary series violin bass. It sounds great in having the thump sound, but I'm not overly impressed with the bridge adjustment. I like a low action and I can't really get there with this bass.

General build quality is good though. I use it for about 10% of live gig songs (mainly Beatles or 60's of course!)[/quote]

Personally I'm not really interested in violin basses - I only asked about the Hofners because I thought the last one i looked at (kinda Jazz style) in a shop seemed pretty good and I wondered what the general thinking was about them. Now I know!

Would still be happy to hear more about Danelectros tho.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1171532' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:21 PM']As far as I'm aware, there is no long scale Longhorn. Long scale options for Danelectro are the DC, the Hodad and the '63.[/quote]

Agreed re the Longhorn. Shortscale (30.5" I believe?)only.

Current copperburst ones are made in China, and from my experience vary a bit in the playability stakes.
One sold recently on here for £110 - bargain or what! Average new price would be around £240.
I've had previous models made in Korea - a blueburst and also a metallic blackburst, both excellent instruments if
you readily accept their erm..design limitations. Great thumping basses - only one great useable sound but its a belter!
The Korean models (late 90's era) are getting a bit harder to find now, and are slightly better built/specced than the current ones,
although perhaps not as vintage accurate. I love them - great for roots rock n roll / country / blues etc.

Happy to give you more Dano info/pics, PM me if you want 'em.
Cheers
Pete.