Why become a member? ×

Warwick advert

Doddy

Has anyone else noticed the double page Watwick advert in the March issue of Bass Player?
It's interesting to see Steve Bailey in there- what with him having the Fender signature model-and surprising to see Larry Graham posing with a chrome Streamer with pink strings.

Havn't seen it but I think they must be having a big over haul at the moment. When I went on Warwicks website yesterday for the first time in a while they seem to be branching out in their model range, e.g. cheaper solid body bootsy infinity sig. hardly any one seems to stock anything above the standard series now all quoting prices going up too much, so something must be going on in a sales drive

I know what you mean Doddy. IMO a signature bass should be [i]their[/i] tried and tested bass, and it seems a bit rude and insincere to then change brands.
Mark King: There was an article in BGM about how hard Ashdown had worked to get the perfect amp for the Mark King signature, only to read the next month that he's gone on tour with a TC rig!
Flea: He went from playing a Stingray for years to suddenly bringing out a signature Modulus, then going down the vintage Jazz route.
There are other players where I'm a bit cynical about their motives.

Of course, everyone has the right to try new stuff and switch brands, but IMO putting out a signature bass should mean "this is my go-to bass, it's a major part of my sound and has helped make me the player I am today" rather than "I quite like this one at the moment"

At the moment i can only think of two players (who are still alive) that deserve to have their own signature model this being their go to bass that they play 90-95%
of the time and thats Steve Harris and Marcus Miller maybe Geddy Lee as well, there are probably others but not many id say

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1166462' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:14 PM']Anyone know what the rewards are for having a signature bass? I assume you get a couple on the house, but do you get paid too?[/quote]

Some guys do get payment from their signature models.

[quote name='frank' post='1166437' date='Mar 17 2011, 11:00 PM']At the moment i can only think of two players (who are still alive) that deserve to have their own signature model this being their go to bass that they play 90-95%
of the time and thats Steve Harris and Marcus Miller maybe Geddy Lee as well, there are probably others but not many id say[/quote]

Probably Billy Sheehan too.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1166333' date='Mar 17 2011, 09:50 PM']Of course, everyone has the right to try new stuff and switch brands, but IMO putting out a signature bass should mean "this is my go-to bass, it's a major part of my sound and has helped make me the player I am today" rather than "[b]I quite like this one at the moment[/b]"[/quote]

Doesn't that sound like a lot of us? :)

I know I've had about 70 basses so why should a pro be any different, especially because most, if not all of them are getting them for free. :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1167207' date='Mar 18 2011, 02:35 PM']I know I've had about 70 basses so why should a pro be any different, especially because most, if not all of them are getting them for free. :)[/quote]

Pros shouldn't be any different, but anyone who has a signature should be.

A player with a signature bass should be saying "this is a bass that represents what I want from my bass". Obviously some companies reproduce cheaper "copies" of the bass, but they should be the same with slightly cheaper components or more lax QC.

I heard a while ago that the reason Flea stopped using EBMM basses was because they refused to do him a signature model. He used rays for so long and they were such a massive part of his sound, I think that if that is true, it says a lot that he'd change tone over something so stupid.