Why become a member? ×

The Little Bastard

Thurbs

Just took delivery of my new Little Basterd and what a little bastard it is!

Having previously owned only SS gear (sometimes with a valve pre-amp) I wasn't sure that (a)30w wouldn't be much louder than my 15w practice amp I bought when first starting out and (:) surely valves are not that much better sounding are they?

I am now a total convert. It sounds awesome and goes much louder than I ever thought possible (and strangely sounds louder than a 300w SS amp I had). I have a gig in a week or so with a huge 3kw PA so will DI in to it from the handy outlet at the back and use it for stage monitoring... I will let you know how I get on.

I can see the disadvantages in packaging, size, weight, price etc, I guess with everything there is a compromise somewhere. However, bring on 1920's technology, this bassist is now going old skool!

BTW, I am running it through a ABM115, going to try the MAG410 later...

[quote name='phatbass787' post='1161853' date='Mar 14 2011, 03:07 PM']Did you get the limited edition Star Trek version? ;-)[/quote]
:D :)
It's just a subtle way of reminding me to turn the bloody power off when I leave the room!

The Little Bastard has no 'Power on' indicator, so unless you catch the glow from the valves through the cooling slots, it's all too easy to leave it on Mute but still powered up, which is good for keeping your pie & chips warm if you leave it on top, but no good for the electric bill :), global warming & probably the life of the valves :lol:

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1161946' date='Mar 14 2011, 04:10 PM']How loud are these little darlings?? Am thinking of trying out the fliptop version soon but not sure it'll be loud enough.
S[/quote]

Mine easily goes over 100 - on the VU meter - hope this helps :)

Mine comfortably goes up against £3.5K Roland V-drums + Roland 30? amp, Strat through a Blackstar (10or15 Watt) & Tele with a pukka AC30, but that's in a small old village hall 'rehersal scenario'. Oh - & we all know how to use the knobs :) especially the volumes :lol: but then we're all over 60! :)

I've never pushed it to the limit, but with the 2 cabs there's plenty of clout, would do for many small venues I'm sure.

Thanks guys, also can't find any weights on the Ashdown website. Is it heavy??

I play in a 6/9 piece wedding function band - live drums, not too noisy guitar. We can play on some largish stages.
I'd like to still get the feeling I'm moving some air, but don't expect it to match my current rigs. But do hope it will be lighter !!

You guys are the bestest !
S

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1162030' date='Mar 14 2011, 05:23 PM']Thanks guys, also can't find any weights on the Ashdown website. Is it heavy??

I play in a 6/9 piece wedding function band - live drums, not too noisy guitar. We can play on some largish stages.
I'd like to still get the feeling I'm moving some air, but don't expect it to match my current rigs. But do hope it will be lighter !!

You guys are the bestest !
S[/quote]
16kg so pretty light. About the same as my 500w ABM.

As long as the volumes are not crazy, you will be fine for most gigs. Any large venue should have a decent PA which you can DI out the back from anyway.

Deffo for keeps this one.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1162035' date='Mar 14 2011, 05:25 PM']Just noticed they've stopped making the LB212 cab, I wonder why? It looked like a perfect match for the head![/quote]

I thought that too but then found it in the new VS cab range

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=dt&ID=257"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.as...n=dt&ID=257[/url]

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1161946' date='Mar 14 2011, 04:10 PM']How loud are these little darlings?? Am thinking of trying out the fliptop version soon but not sure it'll be loud enough.
S[/quote]

I have had my Drophead 30, 1 X 15" Combo (featuring the Little Bastard Head) since Nov 2010 and I have played it on quite a few particular gigs with a "part-time" band I have recently joined, that it's still only a project but soon to become a Carlos Santana tribute band, and we are talking about the late 70's Santana style not the recent one with hip hop singers and sh|t. We don't even have an apt name for it, so... suggestions are welcome :) The guitar player has some serious licks with just a Gibson SG and an Hayden 30W amp, the whole thing relies on his talented playing / singing, I need my bass sound to be spot on, and so the sound I am aiming to obtain needs to be warm and ballsy with just a little bit of saturation curdling on the top, for which a digital s/state amp just won't do. So this Ashdown Drophead / Little Bastard is just the ticket. But... is it loud? Believe it!

I'll explain how this amp works: the amp has 3 voicing switches, from left to right: Mid Shift, Bass Shift and Bright, now these 3 little switches allows you 9 different combinations, and each is enhanced by the relevant knob under it, Mid, Bass and Treble, these 3 tone knobs work interactively with each other, so enhancing one will also affect the other two, making the sound shaping possibilities almost endless, infact everytime I find a particular setting that I like I have to write it down pretty quick otherwise I'll forget it and never find it again, hence I carry around with me little cards like this:

With these 9 combinations turning the tone knobs will increase or decrease the volume [b]more than the actual volume knob itself [/b]and that is thanks to the way in which the tubes work, as a result the volume knob acts more like a master volume. The Little Bastard does not have a gain knob but the three tone knobs can be all be considered as 3 individual gain knobs, each dedicated to a particualr frequency, and that my friends is where the beauty of this amp is.

Volume is very much subjective to the way the 3 switches are positioned and how much mid, bass and treble is addedd or removed.

Every good home should have one.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

This has made me think. I currently use a hybrid Hartke HA5500 (500w) but REALLY want a go at valves. Looked around and now really gassing for a Fender Bassman 135. My only worry is that 135w wont be enough. Sure for a gig i can mic up but at rehearsal im worried that i wont cut through our beast of a drummer and the guitarists marshall slash stack. Do valve watts really sound louder than ss/hybrid?

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1164303' date='Mar 16 2011, 12:28 PM']This has made me think. I currently use a hybrid Hartke HA5500 (500w) but REALLY want a go at valves. Looked around and now really gassing for a Fender Bassman 135. My only worry is that 135w wont be enough. Sure for a gig i can mic up but at rehearsal im worried that i wont cut through our beast of a drummer and the guitarists marshall slash stack. Do valve watts really sound louder than ss/hybrid?[/quote]

You get lots of compression which will help perceived volume and headroom, but the main thing is lots of big cabs.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1162626' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:03 AM']I have had my Drophead 30, 1 X 15" Combo (featuring the Little Bastard Head) since Nov 2010 and I have played it on quite a few particular gigs with a "part-time" band I have recently joined, that it's still only a project but soon to become a Carlos Santana tribute band, and we are talking about the late 70's Santana style not the recent one with hip hop singers and sh|t. We don't even have an apt name for it, so... suggestions are welcome :)[/quote]

How about Samba Party?