Why become a member? ×

RH 750

Phantomnin

[quote name='Phantomnin' post='1161046' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:09 PM']I may have misheard. And I was sitting behind the guy from TC (Ulf?) but I'm sure Mark King said he was using a new RH750.
It was definately a Reble Head and he had two 4x cabs.

The question begs for me though...isn't the RH450 load enough for most situations?[/quote]

Enough? ENOUGH?!

I should ban you for that... :)

[quote name='Phantomnin' post='1161046' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:09 PM']I may have misheard. And I was sitting behind the guy from TC (Ulf?) but I'm sure Mark King said he was using a new RH750.
It was definately a Reble Head and he had two 4x cabs.

The question begs for me though...isn't the RH450 load enough for most situations?[/quote]

Not for the stages he'd play, IMV.

For Huge venues you could run two RH450s linked (one can be a slave ot the other), that's what they were designed for (and that's what I'm pretty sure Mark was doing on the last tour).

At least it wasn't an RH500 or 550 to make me feel inadequate.

The sound my RH450 makes is huge as it is.

My point should have read though...isn't the 450 enough for most venues that mortals, amatuers etc play.

(Please don't ban me). :)

Edited by Phantomnin

[quote name='Phantomnin' post='1162444' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:46 PM']My point should have read though...isn't the 450 enough for most venues that mortals, amatuers etc play. [/quote]

Depends on what it's plugged into, how loud your band is, and how deep you like your bass sound to go. Would need to be a properly loud band for the RH450 not to be enough into a good 2x12" or 4x10" - but with an ultra-deep responding 1x12" as you see on the left you'd need more power to bring the rock!

I think they made this for the bigger bands. I like Genz but I know for a fact the RH450 hammers at the very conservatively rated 450 W. All to do with voicing and how they actually rate it in the first place.

Ill get an RH750 once I know it can make the same sound! I dont want to get it and its a different tone like the Mark Bass LM3 vs LM 800.

Im glad TC are pushing it and making new products.

In reality though if none of us go over half way on the output volume already what difference does it make? Maybe for a massive stage gig but as I have said many times before any gig where my 6.0 would be even close to flat out would be DI, foldback and/or in ear monitors anyway. I can't even imagine what two vertically stacked 8 ohm 2x12's with my 6.0 flat out would be like never mind a 9.0 or this TC 750 as comparable models. Is more really more if you are only using half what you already have?

The difference between my Thunderfunk 550 and the 750 is a much larger (solid state) power supply. The main difference isn't in the volume but the huge jump in the authority, presence and sheer quality of tone of the notes.

Does anyone know if a larger digital power supply brings the same improvements or is it just louder?

Edited by chris_b

If an amp is designed and specced to pro PA standards it shouldn't make any difference if you're running within the amp's limits - however a lot of bass amps cut corners to save cost, size and weight, hence all the discussion about so-and-so's watts being louder than thingumajig's watts. There's a lot of clever digital processing happening in the TC amps which is why they sound fairly loud for their rating - I'm sure if you used their power stage unprocessed they'd sound substantially quieter. Clever engineering.

• 2 weeks later...

Extra power: I *really* don't need that.

Tweeter-tone: Don't need it, but would be a nice to have.

Dedicated compressor control: That's the one bit of interface that has disappointed me on the RH450. I like to have a mix of compressed & uncompressed patches, and it's hard to spot where the compressor is set in the heat of battle - not too mention less than easy to tweak.

In my view, most of the comparative desirability of these high end amps comes down to functionality. For me, the built in compressor & tuner were *huge* selling points with the RH450, as they help me keep my pack simple and light, without reducing functionality. And the lights round the pots, as well as looking very cool & lovely on stage, do make it 100% clear how you're set. (would also love it if the master had indicator lights as well, just to complete the set, BTW).