Why become a member? ×

Slap Bass - Video/Audio goodness

Sawtooth

I personally, being more of a meat and potatos fingerstyle kinda player, am not big on slap bass, I can't play it at all.
Having just read Clarky's thread about it's overuse at the London Bass Show [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126873"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126873[/url] and do agree there is a [i]lot[/i] of fret w*nkery in slapping/tapping etc.
I also do feel there must be some quality tunes that I've maybe missed over the years.
Don't get me wrong, one of the 1st gigs I went to was Level 42 at the Manchester Apollo in the '80's, where during 'Hot Water'', Mark King flew over the audience on wires during a bass solo - stuff of legend when your in your teens!
I'm also a huge Funk fan, but more the fingerstyle of late '60's/ early '70's. I'm also used to be a huge fan of the Chile's, saw them live - amazing! I also Love some Squarepusher, quality stuff.

[i]BUT[/i] I really don't 'feel' a lot of it. I appreciate some playing for it's astounding rhythmical complexity and technique, but it's not always something I'd listen to for enjoyment.

I'm open minded and would like to be educated please...

I can think of a couple of examples that I do Love below :

Any pointers would be most welcome. :)

You seem to be into the same sort of groove and playing that I like (late 60's, early 70's playing). I reckon you'll like these! The first tune is Jermaine Jackson with Nathan Watts on bass (Stevie Wonder's bass player). It's got a great feel, totally ballsey but not excessive.

This one's 'Get On the Floor' by Jermaine's younger brother Michael! Louis Johnson playing bass. It's another great slapped part, rhythmically interesting and fits the tune very well. In fact as far as I can recall the entire tune was actually built around the bass line which is fairly rare and a testament to Louis Johnson's playing as Quincy Jones wouldn't let just anyone come up with any old part!

Prince 'Let's Work' - think it could be Prince playing bass on this one. Cool groove.

Freddie Washington on bass with Herbie Hancock, 'Just Around the Corner', such a great part.

@risingson - some really nice tunes there, thanks. Especially like the Michael Jackson track, damn that's funky! I must dust down 'Off The Wall' again, what an album.
I'm sure I read an interview with Louis Johnson in a bass mag years ago where he said he chooses to wear fingerless cycling gloves to moderate and slow down his slapping to retain the funk - you gotta Love that! :)

[size=2][font="Verdana"]If you can find an old VHS vid on ebay Great Rhythm Grooves for electric guitar by Alex Weir he has Louis Johnson supporting him with some great slap playing

[url="http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Great-Rhythm-Grooves-for-Electric-Guitar/2953685"]Alex Weir[/url]

saw The Brothers Johnson at Birmingham Town Hall mid 70's they opened the show with Louis and George groovin' from the stage lift rising to stage level awesome, sat behind Lenny Henry funnily enough.

H[/font][/size]

Edited by Hutch82

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1159834' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:43 PM']I can think of a couple of examples that I do Love below :

Any pointers would be most welcome. :)[/quote]

It's funny, but I'm pretty sure he's not slapping in this song! Certainly, if the video is live then you can see it's fingerstyle. :)

Maybe that's why you love it?!

[quote name='chaypup' post='1160299' date='Mar 13 2011, 11:05 AM']It's funny, but I'm pretty sure he's not slapping in this song! Certainly, if the video is live then you can see it's fingerstyle. :)

Maybe that's why you love it?![/quote]

I kinda disagree with you there, although he is not thumbing and popping with todays accepted 'slap technique', I'm pretty sure Graham invented the slap sound with
his "thumpin' and pluckin" - plus my ears tell me it ain't regular fingerstyle.

[quote name='chaypup' post='1160299' date='Mar 13 2011, 11:05 AM']It's funny, but I'm pretty sure he's not slapping in this song! Certainly, if the video is live then you can see it's fingerstyle. :)

Maybe that's why you love it?![/quote]

The video isn't live, IMO.
The track is definitely slapping in Larry Graham's style.
His thumb isn't so much bounced in the modern style, it is almost a downward pluck or strum but the fingers pull off the top notes.
This might be an extention of how he learned the bass when at that time, the notes were played with a thumbing motion akin to a plectrum action.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1160440' date='Mar 13 2011, 01:25 PM']The video isn't live, IMO.[/quote]

? ... if this isn't live, then I must be dead.

Edit: but i suppose on re-listening it could maybe be played over a backing track, and sung over live? But it still pushes and pulls like live playing though.
I dunno anymore. Were musicians really that good back in the day or are we just conditioned to think that everything is mimed?

Edited by Sawtooth

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1160453' date='Mar 13 2011, 01:41 PM']? ... if this isn't live, then I must be dead.[/quote]

A common practise would be for the band to send in or spend some time in the TV studio doing the backing tracks prior to the live screening. That way the program could manage the sound, the time and and virtually every thing about the pre-recorded song.
The vocals would be live to give it a 'Live' feel but IME, the backing track would be flown in so the playing is mimed.
It takes a lot of risk and other problems out of the live screen but they do it this way as it is obvious you aren't hearing the CD..as would be the case in a lot of shows. This has the backing group playing live on the track but pre-recorded.

I have a Larry Graham Star Licks video..but can't find the track on You tube.
Subsequent videos of LG show he has embellished his technique with a more conventional action but we are talking about this track with Sly and must date around late 60's..I would think.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='1160472' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:00 PM']A common practise would be for the band to send in or spend some time in the TV studio doing the backing tracks prior to the live screening. That way the program could manage the sound, the time and and virtually every thing about the pre-recorded song.
The vocals would be live to give it a 'Live' feel but IME, the backing track would be flown in so the playing is mimed.
It takes a lot of risk and other problems out of the live sreen[/quote]

Ah, that makes sense. It doesn't sound like the recorded version, but yet seems to 'polished' to be live. Thanks. :)

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1160477' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:04 PM']Ah, that makes sense. It doesn't sound like the recorded version, but yet seems to 'polished' to be live. Thanks. :)[/quote]

And the good thing is that the band HAS to play it live in some form, which of course, Sly could do, but even at that time, I would think this was a lot of work to get to that situation. I can recall a whole day in the TV studio getting a decent backing track right.
Nowadays, it would be so much simpler and cheaper and less time consuming but some bands today just wouldn't be able to expose themselves in that way..so would mime to the stock CD.

I applaud live shows and live TV but some artists just can't afford to risk it ha ha ..you know where this is going so apologies in advance.

[quote name='chaypup' post='1160299' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:05 AM']It's funny, but I'm pretty sure he's not slapping in this song! Certainly, if the video is live then you can see it's fingerstyle. :) \[/quote]
Look closely and you can see he does the pops by pulling the string between his thumb and index finger so it snaps back against the fretboard. I don't think he is slapping with his thumb though.

I think there's a difference between convention/show/bedroom/showoff slap bass, and the slap bass that makes it onto good songs/albums....as TM Stevens noted in his LBS clinic. Unfortunately the former is more prevalent.

Si