Why become a member? ×

New Shuker Buzzing

chilievans

I was lucky enough to receive a Shuker Jazz for my wife for christmas which I love. After playing it for a while I noticed a buzzing/vibrating noise on playing an open E or A which I thought was coming from the nut.
I took a samll peice of tin foil and put it in the nut slots and the vibrating disapeared.
Yesterday I took the bass To a luthier in Cardiff called Dave Dearnaley who informed me that the noise is due to the set up and that it needs a fret dress as the top end frets are slightly raised (12+).
Is ther anything that could have caused this or could it be a manifacturing defect?

Edited by chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1151251' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:44 AM']I was lucky enough to receive a Shuker Jazz for my wife for christmas which I love. After playing it for a while I noticed a buzzing/vibrating noise on playing an open E or A which I thought was coming from the nut.
I took a samll peice of tin foil and put it in the nut slots and the vibrating disapeared.
Yesterday I took the bass To a luthier in Cardiff called Dave Dearnaley who informed me that the noise is due to the set up and that it needs a fret dress as the top end frets are slightly raised (12+).
Is ther anything that could have caused this or could it be a manifacturing defect?[/quote]
Are you the first owner? Have you asked Mr. Shuker?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1151253' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:46 AM']Are you the first owner? Have you asked Mr. Shuker?[/quote]
Yes mate I'm the first owner.
I'm sure Jon would sort the problem out for me but due to the cost of posting it up to Hope From S Wales and the waiting I thought I'd be better off having it repaired locally

Dude I cannot imagine for one minute that Jon would let a bass go without a fret dress. I know you're a bit away from him but as you are prepared to pay for someone else to do remedial work why not jump in the car and head over to Jon who will sort all your woes for free. Make a day if it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1151263' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:51 AM']That's why you should speak to Jon first, IMO. If it is a manufacturing defect, I'm sure he'll do everything he can to put it right.[/quote]

True. I've already booked it in now though and I have a bass exam in 2 weeks and I wouldn't have it back in time.
I'll send him an email and see what he says

[quote name='chilievans' post='1151251' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:44 AM']I was lucky enough to receive a Shuker Jazz for my wife for christmas which I love. After playing it for a while I noticed a buzzing/vibrating noise on playing an open E or A which I thought was coming from the nut.
Is ther anything that could have caused this or could it be a manifacturing defect?[/quote]
Personaly think it would be a mistake to let anyone at it until Mr Shuker had seen it & I'm sure would correct any problems straight away.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1151267' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:53 AM']Dude I cannot imagine for one minute that Jon would let a bass go without a fret dress. I know you're a bit away from him but as you are prepared to pay for someone else to do remedial work why not jump in the car and head over to Jon who will sort all your woes for free. Make a day if it.[/quote]
It would cost me more in petrol and time bud.
I was quoted £70 to sort the set up and have a series parallel switch fitted. Not bad I thought

Like I said make a day of if. Go and have a chin wag with one of our bass-maker gods and have a gander a some of the basses he's working on.

You'll likely get your bass back there and then too if he's expecting you.

I don't want to cast aspersions on your local luthier either but "raised frets" from the 12th fret up would suggest to me a tweak of the tr is all that's needed. But hey I'm 500 miles away and he's had it in his hands.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1151267' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:53 AM']Dude I cannot imagine for one minute that Jon would let a bass go without a fret dress. I know you're a bit away from him but as you are prepared to pay for someone else to do remedial work why not jump in the car and head over to Jon who will sort all your woes for free. Make a day if it.[/quote]

+1

I'm guessing that it's probably something that a tweak of the truss rod would sort out - frets don't just 'bob up' and there's absolutely no way that he'd let an instrument leave his place in a less than 100% working order.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1151286' date='Mar 6 2011, 11:10 AM']Like I said make a day of if. Go and have a chin wag with one of our bass-maker gods and have a gander a some of the basses he's working on.

You'll likely get your bass back there and then too if he's expecting you.

I don't want to cast aspersions on your local luthier either but "raised frets" from the 12th fret up would suggest to me a tweak of the tr is all that's needed. But hey I'm 500 miles away and he's had it in his hands.[/quote]

That would make more sense to me, I've got a Shuker and the build quality is superb. I can't see your Bass needing a fret dress especially if it's brand new. Your Luthier might be charging you £70 to turn an Allen key a quarter turn.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='1151299' date='Mar 6 2011, 11:21 AM']That would make more sense to me, I've got a Shuker and the build quality is superb. I can't see your Bass needing a fret dress especially if it's brand new. Your Luthier might be charging you £70 to turn an Allen key a quarter turn.[/quote]
That will be it.....best hope its not a full turn at £280

Just to add to the comments already. I am supremely sure that Jon would not have let a Bass leave his workshop with 'top end frets slightly raised'. Jon wouldn't let me anywhere near my new Bass until he was totally sure that it was ready!

I have never heard of buzzing on open strings being caused by 'slightly raised frets'. Sorry, that is rubbish! Especially when the noise went away when you put tin foil in the nut. Those frets would have to be out by a good couple of mm's. - I'm afraid your own diagnosis appears to be better than the 'repair man'. The amount of back bow you'd need on a bass neck to make the string bash against frets 12+ is incredible - the kinda back bow on a bass that had been set up by chucking it off the top of a multistorey! heh heh heh!

To fix the problem the set up should cost no more than 30 quid by an independent luthier. - Something I could do with few tools and I wouldn't be touching the frets either!

I'm not having a go at you and you haven't been foolish posting on here - if anything you could be saving yourself some money by going in armed with the information on this thread from some knowledgeable people! Good luck - If I were closer to you, I'd come take a look for you.

Dan

I'm beginning to wish I'd asked you guys first. Oh well you lives and learns I suppose. I will also get a series / parallel switch fitted for my 70 notes. I will be mentioning what I've learned so for that I thank you. I'll let you know what happened in the week.
By the way, dood, you rock

[quote name='chilievans' post='1151251' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:44 AM']I was lucky enough to receive a Shuker Jazz for my wife for christmas which I love.[/quote]

You got a bass for your wife? That's the kind of 'For Trade' thread I need to find!!

[quote name='chilievans' post='1151808' date='Mar 6 2011, 07:43 PM']By the way, dood, you rock[/quote]

Awwwww, that's a very nice thing to say! Thank you! - I do rock, but generally back and forth with my head resting on me knees he he he! It's the madness of this place :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1151739' date='Mar 6 2011, 06:45 PM']sounds very much like the neck has bowed back slightly during shipping maybe. i cannot see jon sending out a bass that wasn't right to begin with. a fret level and dress on a brand new shuker would be silly.[/quote]

+1 on this, problems with first 12 frets is truss top twelve is bridge.

I,ve just returned from Dave Dearnaley's workshop in Cardiff and I'm very pleased with the result.
No more buzzing which wasn't a nut problem after all.It was down to the way I had set up the bass. I will potch with things I don't understand. ( I must learn how to do a propper set up :) )

Anyway, Dave gave the bass a full set up and fitted the series parallel for £75

I'm over the moon with the resluts. the bass is soooo much better smoother and easier to play that I don't want to put it down

Thankyou all for the advice