Why become a member? ×

Whats better than a Shuttle 6?

Linus27

I currently have a GB Shuttle 6 which really is a cracking amp. I run it through 2 x Aggy GS112's and its very warm and punchy. However, I am thinking about having either a backup amp or have the Shuttle 6 as the backup and something else as my main amp. Anyone got any suggestions on what an upgrade over a Shuttle 6 would be? I like the look of the Aggy AC500SC and I hear great things about the TC Electronics RH450 or Classic 450 but are they pretty much the same as the Shuttle 6 in terms of build/quality/tone etc? The other option would be to just buy another Shuttle 6 or look at the GB Streamliner.

Also, whats the difference over a Class A and Class D amp?

Edited by Linus27

I have a Shuttle 9, although I haven't tried a 6, I've read it's a warmer and fuller sound. Perhaps a 9 max if you need more flexibility? I like the 9 because it gives me 500 watts@8ohms into a Midget T for small gigs.......good thing is it covers larger gigs as well and is really portable. I have a Tecamp Puma 1000 ,which I really like, but I find I'm taking the shuttle to gigs at the moment.

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' post='1140361' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:12 PM']I have a Shuttle 9, although I haven't tried a 6, I've read it's a warmer and fuller sound. Perhaps a 9 max if you need more flexibility? I like the 9 because it gives me 500 watts@8ohms into a Midget T for small gigs.......good thing is it covers larger gigs as well and is really portable. I have a Tecamp Puma 1000 ,which I really like, but I find I'm taking the shuttle to gigs at the moment.[/quote]

I was just looking at the Shuttle 9 but its 900W @ 4 ohm and 500W @ 8 ohm. My Aggy GS 112 are rated at 300 watts each at 8 ohms. So if I run one cab, thats going to be 500W into a 300W cab. Likewise, if I run 2 x cabs, thats going to be 900W at 4 ohms going through the two cabs. So is the Shuttle 9 not going to be a bit too powerful for my cabs?????

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1140409' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:54 PM']RH450 or Genz Streamliner 900.

The RH450 total volume is huge....very honestly rated. Head to head it will push ahead of the 6.0 and match the 9.0.[/quote]

See my reply above though. Are my cabs not powerful enough to take a Shuttle 9?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1140315' date='Feb 24 2011, 07:28 PM']Also, whats the difference over a Class A and Class D amp?[/quote]

Most of it is related to how the signals are processed within the amplifier.

Class A amps are the 'bog standard' amplifiers that we've all seen/owned/used.
Big box with a dirty great transformer to run the power supply inside which is switched on the whole time the amp is in use.

Class D amps essentially switch parts of their output stage on and off depending on the signal being passed through them - the power supplies are smaller as they don't need to be on the whole time, therefore allowing smaller and lighter units to be built.

[quote name='icastle' post='1140416' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:58 PM']Most of it is related to how the signals are processed within the amplifier.

Big box with a dirty great transformer to run the power supply inside which is switched on the whole time the amp is in use.

Class D amps essentially switch parts of their output stage on and off depending on the signal being passed through them - the power supplies are smaller as they don't need to be on the whole time, therefore allowing smaller and lighter units to be built.[/quote]

Ah ok, cool, thank you.

As long as you are not maxing the amp, it will be fine :)

Most amps could damage any cab, it's just a case of not cranking or boosting the bass really high.

The Streamliner is much more 'a fully clean tube amp in a small box' and it will let you get musical distortion at any volume. That would be nice ying yang to the Shuttle.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I gave the TC Classic 450 a go and to be honest, I really do not like it. Its a beautiful looking amp but sound wise it is just muffled and dull. Very dissapointing as I had high hopes for it. It seems the Shuttle really is so good and right for me. So I will send it back to Thomman for a refund. I now need to decide if I should get a Shuttle 9, Streamliner 6 or another Shuttle 6.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1168844' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:08 PM']Well I gave the TC Classic 450 a go and to be honest, I really do not like it. Its a beautiful looking amp but sound wise it is just muffled and dull. Very dissapointing as I had high hopes for it. It seems the Shuttle really is so good and right for me. So I will send it back to Thomman for a refund. I now need to decide if I should get a Shuttle 9, Streamliner 6 or another Shuttle 6.[/quote]

Have you seend Ed Friedland's videos on YouTube for the Streamliner? They might give you a good sonic reference if you have a good set of headphones or speakers.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1168844' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:08 PM']Well I gave the TC Classic 450 a go and to be honest, I really do not like it. Its a beautiful looking amp but sound wise it is just muffled and dull. Very dissapointing as I had high hopes for it. It seems the Shuttle really is so good and right for me. So I will send it back to Thomman for a refund. I now need to decide if I should get a Shuttle 9, Streamliner 6 or another Shuttle 6.[/quote]
Ah some sense for a change :) I didnt know there was a streamliner 6....Interesting.....If a shuttle 6.0 came my way at the right money while I was feeling flush I would have it just for a rainy day you know.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1140315' date='Feb 24 2011, 07:28 PM']I currently have a GB Shuttle 6 which really is a cracking amp. I run it through 2 x Aggy GS112's and its very warm and punchy. However, I am thinking about having either a backup amp or have the Shuttle 6 as the backup and something else as my main amp. Anyone got any suggestions on what an upgrade over a Shuttle 6 would be? I like the look of the Aggy AC500SC and I hear great things about the TC Electronics RH450 or Classic 450 but are they pretty much the same as the Shuttle 6 in terms of build/quality/tone etc? The other option would be to just buy another Shuttle 6 or look at the GB Streamliner.[/quote]

A left of field suggestion. The SH SWR 500 on here.

SWR and a Jazz is a great match, IMO..

I have played recently Markbass and Ampeg and the SWR is far warmer, IMV... and just a far better amp, full stop, IMO.
It has great EQ but with a good sounding bass should fire straight up pretty much flat.
The old ones had great build QC IME..so I would check out the newer ones, but doubt it would be any worse than what is currently the norm. Not implying the current standard is bad..just that SWR may have over-specced their original SM's

Or the SM900..SM400, SM400s any of the SM series.

I am also looking for a backup.. so have the same issue, but I already have the SWR

As you've discounted the TC I'd say the Shuttle 9 would be your best bet. It's supposed to have a bigger fuller low end than the Shuttle 6. I would expect that you'd run the 9 at the same volume as the 6 so the extra 300 watts wouldn't be an issue. The benefit of the 9 is the better tone and the extra headroom.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1169338' date='Mar 20 2011, 11:39 AM']As you've discounted the TC I'd say the Shuttle 9 would be your best bet. It's supposed to have a bigger fuller low end than the Shuttle 6. I would expect that you'd run the 9 at the same volume as the 6 so the extra 300 watts wouldn't be an issue. The benefit of the 9 is the better tone and the extra headroom.[/quote]

This appears to be more [u]Basschat myth and legend [/u]:) I knew the 6.0 had a low end shelf but wasnt sure what it was, Its 80 Hz in the manual which is where the myth started as we were correctly informed by someone in another thread that the 9.0 can go down to 38Hz which will be required for a 5 string especially if you like a low A. Thats all true and correct, the myth part being that[b] both amps are the same 80Hz [/b]on the active EQ low with the shelving being removed [b]down to 38-67 Hz with the L.F button engaged.[/b]

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=manuals"]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=manuals[/url] the page and specs are the same for both amps lets stop the myth :) the extra headroom is there but only if you get some cabs to take it thats why I have a 600w 4 ohm 2x12, it would blow away a 9.0 with lesser rated cabs or an 8 ohm load no problemo. :lol:

[quote name='chris_b' post='1169338' date='Mar 20 2011, 11:39 AM']As you've discounted the TC I'd say the Shuttle 9 would be your best bet. It's supposed to have a bigger fuller low end than the Shuttle 6. I would expect that you'd run the 9 at the same volume as the 6 so the extra 300 watts wouldn't be an issue. The benefit of the 9 is the better tone and the extra headroom.[/quote]

Yep, it looks like a Shuttle 9 is going to be on the cards for me I think. It would be nice to have that extra grunt if I ever need it which may be required later in the year.

[quote name='icastle' post='1140416' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:58 PM']Most of it is related to how the signals are processed within the amplifier.

Class D amps essentially switch parts of their output stage on and off depending on the signal being passed through them - the power supplies are smaller as they don't need to be on the whole time, therefore allowing smaller and lighter units to be built.[/quote]

your lucky to get over 20W with a class A output stage to. They sound awesome though

Also whats better than a shuttle? get a big doom valve amp ;>

Edited by umph

I love my Shuttle 6.0 Tried a 9.0 couldn't tell the difference between the 6.0 & 9.0 so went with the one that was a cuppla hundred $$ less & has PLENTY of volume for my needs. Superb as a gig bag back up.... come to think of it- I wouldn't mind another. Think I'll wait till ppl start selling their Streamliners...will see!