Why become a member? ×

Happy Jack's band finally crack Chiswick

Happy Jack

[attachment=73133:Gangster.Dog.flyer.jpg]

We've played all the music pubs in Chiswick except the one that really matters, the George IV. Now we've landed two gigs there, and the first one is in two weeks' time.

If you want to know what we play, follow the link 'Band' in my sig below. The pub is a 3-minute walk from Turnham Green tube.

[url="http://www.pubandbar-network.co.uk/pubs/venue_london_chiswick_george%20iv%20(w4)_381.html"]http://www.pubandbar-network.co.uk/pubs/ve...20(w4)_381.html[/url]

We'll be playing three 45-minute sets from 9:00pm, and obviously I'd love to bring along a bit of a crew.

As a special enticement, any Basschatter who makes it to the gig will NOT be expected to buy me a drink. Can't say fairer than that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1160895' date='Mar 13 2011, 07:35 PM']Played a blinder HJ. Great atmosphere. You're perfect for this venue.[/quote]

+1 good gig, good beer. Finally made it to the pub despite TFL trying to thwart us at every stage.

Nice to have a natter with Low End Bee too.

Delighted you could both make it - we rated that as one of the most 'fun' gigs we've ever played.

Simon, don't think of it as being late, more as managing to avoid the biggest and most conspicuous cockup I've ever committed live on stage. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1161009' date='Mar 13 2011, 08:48 PM']Simon, don't think of it as being late, more as managing to avoid the biggest and most conspicuous cockup I've ever committed live on stage. :)[/quote]
A slap version of Smoke on the Water? :)

Sorry couldn't be there Jack and hope to make your next 'residence gig' at the George IV

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1161009' date='Mar 13 2011, 03:48 PM']Delighted you could both make it - we rated that as one of the most 'fun' gigs we've ever played.

Simon, don't think of it as being late, more as managing to avoid the biggest and [b]most conspicuous cockup I've ever committed[/b] live on stage. :)[/quote]

do tell.

Intro to [i]Why Did You Do It[/i], the whole band came in - as expected - on the C except the bass, which for some inexplicable reason decided to play the song in Bb.

It got worse. The bass didn't realise that it was wrong, and assumed that someone else had screwed it up, so it remained on the Bb for the next two bars while looking around in consternation.

Luckily, this was all the bass doing it by itself, so when I realised that my bass had lost the plot I quickly took it off auto-pilot and moved up two frets.

I don't think anyone noticed.

Apart from the lead guitarist.

And the slide guitarist.

And even, God help me, the drummer.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1161345' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:23 AM']Intro to [i]Why Did You Do It[/i], the whole band came in - as expected - on the C except the bass, which for some inexplicable reason decided to play the song in Bb.

It got worse. The bass didn't realise that it was wrong, and assumed that someone else had screwed it up, so it remained on the Bb for the next two bars while looking around in consternation.

Luckily, this was all the bass doing it by itself, so when I realised that my bass had lost the plot I quickly took it off auto-pilot and moved up two frets.

And the slide guitarist.

:)[/quote]

Just call it Jazz!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1161345' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:23 AM']Intro to [i]Why Did You Do It[/i], the whole band came in - as expected - on the C except the bass, which for some inexplicable reason decided to play the song in Bb.

And the slide guitarist.

I sincerely hope that 1) you spent the first few bars glaring at the band letting them know that THEY had all screwed up and 2) you didn't admit to any mistakes.

Edited by farmer61

And the slide guitarist.

I only noticed a bit.

Don't worry it was a [b]level 1[/b] mistake as we call it in my band.

Level 1 - Only noticeable by the band, muso's in attendance and maybe sober audience members who really know the song well.
Doesn't detract from the show.

Level 2 - Noticeable by all but the drunkest present. Still not enough to stop the song and you should all be able to get back together and finish it.

Level 3 - Really quite bad but you are able to finish the song somehow and move manfully on with the set.

Level 4 - So painfully wrong you there is no other option than to stop and start again.

Luckily we haven't had a level 4 and only one level 3. The drummer played the intro and song at half speed and we decided to do a 'stoner' version as it was too late to stop. He's never done it again.
Luckily I have only ever witnessed other bands level 4's so far. Touch wood.....

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1161345' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:23 AM']....Intro to [i]Why Did You Do It[/i], the whole band came in - as expected - on the C except the bass, which for some inexplicable reason decided to play the song in Bb....[/quote]
It was mentioned on BBC News24!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1161571' date='Mar 14 2011, 11:31 AM']It was mentioned on BBC News24![/quote]

"Bb horror in West 4" hundreds feared confused by inappropriate key fiasco.

"I was so upset I nearly spilt my barley wine. Hanging's too good for 'em I say. I thought they were playing jazz the dirty bas...."
Distressed eye witness Mrs Evadne Bigot of 23 Gadaffi Towers, Acton.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1161602' date='Mar 14 2011, 11:52 AM']The Daily Mail added it was "disgusting" and "shamed the nation"[/quote]
Bass Guitar Player magazine commented "didn't notice I was at the bar at the time"

basschat.co.uk added "what's a wrong key"

Close!

Our lead guitarist lives in Chigwell (north of London) whereas the rest of us are west London or west of London, so there's always the possibility that we might land a gig in, say, Farnborough and he'll decide it's too far.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1161602' date='Mar 14 2011, 07:52 AM']The Daily Mail added it was "disgusting" and "shamed the nation"[/quote]

there was a blurb in the papers over here about it. took me a second to realize it was HappyJack

"MPs call for West London investigation"

we've all been there. our little pop combo is good for at least one Level 1 clam per member per gig. one never knows when, where or how, but we all know it's coming. we've hit a few Level 2s and 3s, but never a Level 4. the train might be tipped and riding on one rail but we keep going.

we have a particular habit of royally screwing up one of the singers tunes. almost every time. last gig we played it right. and the singer screwed up the second verse. :)

[quote name='duke of prunes' post='1163313' date='Mar 15 2011, 04:54 PM']there was a blurb in the papers over here about it. took me a second to realize it was HappyJack

"MPs call for West London investigation"

we've all been there. our little pop combo is good for at least one Level 1 clam per member per gig. one never knows when, where or how, but we all know it's coming. we've hit a few Level 2s and 3s, but never a Level 4. the train might be tipped and riding on one rail but we keep going.

we have a particular habit of royally screwing up one of the singers tunes. almost every time. last gig we played it right. and the singer screwed up the second verse. :)[/quote]

Does this mean my Level 1-4 cock up measurement scale is now an industry standard. Excellent. :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1163326' date='Mar 15 2011, 04:59 PM']Does this mean my Level 1-4 cock up measurement scale is now an industry standard. Excellent. :)[/quote]
I presume you didn't notice the Level 1 cock-up at our gig on Friday where the drummer played the right time but completely the wrong drum pattern (he had two songs confused)? Threw me a bit but I just got on with it and strangely it worked, not that I want him to do that again

Yep, the new industry standard, Adam :)

Edited by Clarky