Why become a member? ×

FS DBX 266 XL Dual compressor/gate 1u £50 posted *SOLD*

Decent rack comp and gate. Just bought a rather silly valve version so this is now surplus to requirements. Live, bass goes through one channel, kick through the other. Does the job just fine

£50 posted

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1139373' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:16 PM']Is this my old one?[/quote]

No, that left about a week after I bought of from you! At the time I was using compression as an effect as opposed to a dynamic controller, and having been using a Nomad Bassman to that point, I was a little disappointed by the DBX. Then I learned what you're supposed to do with a compressor and bought this one about 6 months back. I now have too many.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1139385' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:23 PM']No, that left about a week after I bought of from you! At the time I was using compression as an effect as opposed to a dynamic controller, and having been using a Nomad Bassman to that point, I was a little disappointed by the DBX. Then I learned what you're supposed to do with a compressor and bought this one about 6 months back. I now have too many.

C[/quote]

Haha 2 years on I still have no idea what to do with them.

I do have a rather spiffing compressor button on my amp :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1139390' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:25 PM']Haha 2 years on I still have no idea what to do with them.

I do have a rather spiffing compressor button on my amp :)[/quote]

Maybe next SE Bass Bash I'll do a completely practical hands on "how to set up compressors" rather than my effort last time that may have just veered slightly into the realms of the far to f***ing theoretical by half.

The added advantage being it will take about ten minutes to do, rather than an hour.

Some said last year's was one of the most entertaining talks on compression they'd ever witnessed (which begs the question how many times have they sat down to be bored senseless by a prat with a compressor before), especially since I gather no one actually went away confident that they would be able to set up a compressor afterwards (epic fail by me then).

Maybe I wont bore everyone again though.... :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1144643' date='Feb 28 2011, 04:54 PM']Maybe next SE Bass Bash I'll do a completely practical hands on "how to set up compressors" rather than my effort last time that may have just veered slightly into the realms of the far to f***ing theoretical by half.

The added advantage being it will take about ten minutes to do, rather than an hour.

Some said last year's was one of the most entertaining talks on compression they'd ever witnessed (which begs the question how many times have they sat down to be bored senseless by a prat with a compressor before), especially since I gather no one actually went away confident that they would be able to set up a compressor afterwards (epic fail by me then).

Maybe I wont bore everyone again though.... :)[/quote]

I'm sure it was a great talk mate, your help on my studio thread shows just how much you know about the area.

What I find amazing about compression is the huge amount of overly complex stuff talked about it in text books, magazines and websites, that collectively give the impression that compression is some sort of black art acquired only through years of dedicated learning. It's really quite simple; there's not that many parameters compared to other aspects of music performance, and especially to recording, and a little trial and error goes a long way.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1144652' date='Feb 28 2011, 05:01 PM']I'm sure it was a great talk mate, your help on my studio thread shows just how much you know about the area.

What I find amazing about compression is the huge amount of overly complex stuff talked about it in text books, magazines and websites, that collectively give the impression that compression is some sort of black art acquired only through years of dedicated learning. It's really quite simple; there's not that many parameters compared to other aspects of music performance, and especially to recording, and a little trial and error goes a long way.[/quote]

Well enough people complain about having more than treble mid and bass and volume on an amp!

The concept is simple, hearing it is difficult!

And it is a black art....

:)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1144643' date='Feb 28 2011, 04:54 PM']Maybe next SE Bass Bash I'll do a completely practical hands on "how to set up compressors" rather than my effort last time that may have just veered slightly into the realms of the far to f***ing theoretical by half.[/quote]
Could you do a posting on it in BC as well? Might give me ammunition to stop my guitarist suggesting that a compressor is what's needed because sometimes he can hear me and sometimes he can't.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1146979' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:26 PM']Could you do a posting on it in BC as well? Might give me ammunition to stop my guitarist suggesting that a compressor is what's needed because sometimes he can hear me and sometimes he can't.[/quote]

He may be right....

Or it may be eq, or him stepping 2' closer to his amp sometimes.

Compression can do a lot more than just iron out the levels, and thats where bassists can often get the most from it. I set up Silverfoxnics compressor for him afterwards and he loved the difference it made to his bass sound, it wasnt so much evening out the levels as accentuating some attack and getting some more punch behind the attack phase of the note. It was quite subtle compression on the ear, but allowed him (he later reported) to hear his bass completely differently at that nights gig. The rest of the band really heard a difference too apparently (in that they could all here the bass now), yet in no way did it sound like the usual Tony Levin ultra squished sound.

If more bassists knew how to get a compressor to do that then there would be less bassists complaining they cant cut through a mix....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='tauzero' post='1146979' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:26 PM']Could you do a posting on it in BC as well? Might give me ammunition to stop my guitarist suggesting that a compressor is what's needed because sometimes he can hear me and sometimes he can't.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30431&view=findpost&p=1148269"]Compression 101[/url]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1139684' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:23 AM']I don't think he likes my compressor button.[/quote]
Engineer: "Well Wayne, for recording on this song we're going to use a bit of compression on your bass. I'm planning on using a tube optical outboard unit on the signal prior to AD conversion, and then once digitised I'll use a few plugins, perhaps a bit of multi-band and a good limiter."
Wayne: "DON'T WORRY. I HAZ COMPRESSORS BUTTON!"
Engineer: [Facepalm]