Why become a member? ×

Looping

drewm

For my birthday yesterday, the missus very kindly gave me a Digitech JamMan Stereo looper. It's great fun and I've been getting started with some simple patterns, percussive noises and chords.

Are there any particularly good resources for learning how to make the best use of looping techniques, or even just inspiration?

[quote name='drewm' post='1137632' date='Feb 22 2011, 08:16 PM']For my birthday yesterday, the missus very kindly gave me a Digitech JamMan Stereo looper. It's great fun and I've been getting started with some simple patterns, percussive noises and chords.

Are there any particularly good resources for learning how to make the best use of looping techniques, or even just inspiration?[/quote]

YouTube pal. Lots of Wooten etc. I just got an rc 50 boss. Great for practicing the trick is finding songs that you can do the bass, rhythm,drums and melody with a bass. Higher ground is a good one.

I've had an RC20-xl for ages now,and love it.

I often set up a loop of anything from a simple ii-V vamp,to a full chorus taken from the real book. I'll play the melody and then blow over the changes-sometimes using ideas I've been practicing and other times,just playing.
I also like to play a melody into the looper and experiment with various chord voicings underneath.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Wm9URfBnY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Wm9URfBnY[/url]
Aaaaaand
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dge5jSF6oyM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dge5jSF6oyM[/url]
These two have both got fantastic loopage video's (both have quite a few)
I got my boss rc2 about 3 months ago, its so much fun.

[quote name='drewm' post='1137632' date='Feb 22 2011, 08:16 PM']For my birthday yesterday, the missus very kindly gave me a Digitech JamMan Stereo looper. It's great fun and I've been getting started with some simple patterns, percussive noises and chords.

Are there any particularly good resources for learning how to make the best use of looping techniques, or even just inspiration?[/quote]

Looping... crazy :)

I just swapped a pedal I wasn't using for a Boss ME-50B, just to see whether I could make a couple of presets to allow me to leave my pedalboard at home sometimes... anyway, I find there is a basic looper there. 2.8 seconds. And I've been having much more fun than it's reasonable with that thing.

So I'm looking at maybe something a bit more versatile. The JamMan Stereo looks great. I also liek the idea to use it to trigger samples live, for instance in one song we do we have some police noises in teh recording we made but we don't do that live... I hadn't thought of that.
However I'd really like the ability to have maybe 3 difefrent loops I can work with and/or trigger at different points. Essentially giving me the ability of generating a song with 3 parts: a verse, a chorus and a bridge... that I can trigger at different times.
I believe the Boss RC50 can do exactly that. Am I right?
And the RC50 can import audio from my PC and use it as I described above to trigger teh "police" soudns live etc... is that correct?

I was looking at the Boomerang but it seems far too complicated for what I need. The RC50 seems a lot simpler.

Hmm, it may be time to sell a couple of toys to get one of tehse machines...

I usually start with a click then layer 2 of 3 main parts: bass in the 1st 5 frets, accompaniment in frets 7-12 and melody beyond.

The remaining part becomes my focus for the composition/practice.

I then can spend literally hours playing about, and throw in a few effects and that can turn to more time than I have available. I heart looping.

Dan

[quote name='drewm' post='1137632' date='Feb 22 2011, 08:16 PM']For my birthday yesterday, the missus very kindly gave me a Digitech JamMan Stereo looper.[/quote]

I have one too!

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1141313' date='Feb 25 2011, 03:11 PM']...I heart looping.

Dan[/quote]
Yep, me too!

I haven't spent as much time as I would like with the pedal as I find I have other stuff to do and sort out - but I'm really impressed. I've got a few ideas that I have been meaning to YouTube which could be helpful - but as I say, I just haven't found the time to slot the recordings in! It really depends on the piece I am playing as to how I go about presenting it (say to a listener). The simplest way to describe how I like to attack the pedal is the 'Tony Hart method' (ha) - You know how he'd draw a load of seemingly random lines on a piece paper then in a final flourish it'd all come together as an amazing picture? I like doing that - else I can't help thinking that the audience will get really bored of listening to 16 bars of a rhythm on it's own whilst I work out what to do next!

The only thing I really would like in a looper, but my budget wasn't going to allow it - would be to be able to set different loop lengths for each layer. I have a free software looper that can do this and I prefer the freedom this allows. For example - a 4 bar 'drum' turnaround looping with an 8 bar bass line and so on. but as I found out, for a hardware looper of this kind (such as looperlative) things get a bit more expensive.