Why become a member? ×

Home studio

MoonBassAlpha

Originally intended for somewhere to keep my drums out of the way, it's just big enough to rehearse with my 2 3-piece bands, cosy, all fine and good.

Now, at the Mrs. request(!), my Zoom multi-track, amp and speakers are all in there too, so it needs to be able to act as a mix room and recording room all in one.
Currently, it is 9mm ply over 2" (compressed) rockwool, thus ultra bright. Almost a cube at 2.4 x 2.6 (x2.4H)

Any suggestions welcome for making it better for listening to mixes and playing in. It's only really going to be for rough demo/learning tunes, not any kind of "finished" product.
How about positioning the speakers? No room for floor stands. Shelf or brackets?

I realise these are complex issues, and I may have done things differently if I had set out to do this, but it's done now, so I'd like to do something to help it acoustically.
Cheers
Jules

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='1137061' date='Feb 22 2011, 01:22 PM']Not sure what monitors you have but they usually recommend that they are positioned away from walls and especially corners. Headphones may be a better option ?[/quote]
Just looked up the monitors and they're recommended against the wall (they are bookshelf speakers really, AR18s), so that answered my own question.
I didn't think headphones were normal for mixing on, mixes tend to come out sounding bass-light on regular kit.
Any thoughts on what I should put on the walls, and ceiling?

erm. the rockwool goes on the outside. air/space in between the outer and inner wall is the best for sounproofing. whats on the ceiling? also stuff quilts in the corners, although this is for bass trap probs, it's still pretty standard issue. you can listen to where the highs are being reflected and fix with soft stuff. soft stuff is the key to most room/ambience problems.

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1137330' date='Feb 22 2011, 05:12 PM']I didn't think headphones were normal for mixing on, mixes tend to come out sounding bass-light on regular kit.[/quote]

You need proper studio headphones to mix on as they give an uncoloured, true sound. Something made by Beyerdynamic such as the DT770 or DT880. The AKG K240 II or Shure studio headphones are good. They may cost a bit more, but they're worth it.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='1137385' date='Feb 22 2011, 05:46 PM']You need proper studio headphones to mix on as they give an uncoloured, true sound. Something made by Beyerdynamic such as the DT770 or DT880. The AKG K240 II or Shure studio headphones are good. They may cost a bit more, but they're worth it.[/quote]
akg :) but you should never mix purely in headphones. only really usefull for fixin bits.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1137340' date='Feb 22 2011, 05:19 PM']erm. the rockwool goes on the outside. air/space in between the outer and inner wall is the best for sounproofing. whats on the ceiling? also stuff quilts in the corners, although this is for bass trap probs, it's still pretty standard issue. you can listen to where the highs are being reflected and fix with soft stuff. soft stuff is the key to most room/ambience problems.[/quote]
The rockwool is between the ply and the outer brick wall. The ceiling is also ply with rockwool on top.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1138160' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:43 AM']The rockwool is between the ply and the outer brick wall. The ceiling is also ply with rockwool on top.[/quote]
yea i understand mate. i thought rockwool was used as an acoustic tile. brick, plasterboard, air, plasterboard, rockwool. just hang up some quilts on the large hard surfaces. and stick some tiles around the ceiling and you should have a cool little studio.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1138246' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:10 AM']is it that you're getting loads of reflections? I guess there's no room for bookshelves etc but you could buy some proper diffusers.[/quote]

There are some great videos knocking around on-line [just google] about making your own.
I have just a small room for Media Music writing, and i was knocked out how diffusers made a difference to listening.
knocked up my own with a short trip to Wicks. Not up to big boy standard i know, but none the less made a difference.
All for about £60.00

Garry

[quote name='drewm' post='1138293' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:45 AM']Pop something like these in the corners.

[url="http://www.studiospares.com/bass-traps/acoustic-corner-trap-bass-absorber-grey/invt/465010/"]http://www.studiospares.com/bass-traps/aco...ey/invt/465010/[/url][/quote]
yes, but for lows. not highs. dunelm mill for quilts on the large flat areas. thanks mum!

2.4m cube?

ooof, er basstraps.

Everywhere....

Corners (supoerchunks are the way to go) and where celining meets wall, millions of examples of these on gearsluts. Here is one to give you an idea [url="http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/439981-my-bass-trap-build.html"]clicky linky[/url]. Note his corner superchunk traps are very small, they really ought to be much much wider (about 2 feet)

mid range absorbers on all the walls to catch first reflections, less dense rockwool - use a mirror, when sat in your mix position have sioomeone put a mirror flat against the wall, have them move it until you see the monitor on that side, thats where an absorber goes, then have them move it until you see the other monitor, you need to cover that as well.

cloud on the ceiling. Small space like that this is a must!

It wont fix it completely, but it will help, you are going to have enormous node build up somewhere with such similar dimensions.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1138443' date='Feb 23 2011, 12:24 PM']AR18s? I didn't think these were 'studio monitors'.
I used to own a pair, with a NAD amp back in the day .
Nice bookshelf speakers yes, but studio monitors ?[/quote]
I know that, it's just what I've got around (at the moment!) but they're quite neutral and I can listen to them for a good while without them making me head hurt.
Could I get much for under a ton s/h that would be [u]that[/u] much better?