Why become a member? ×

Opinions on Orange Bass Terror....

Duarte

I have both the Terror Bass and the Little Bastard.

I love the LB and it provided the best sound I have ever achieved for recording, however it is inadequate for rehearsal with drums, especially punk. It can do a fairly loud completely broken up sound, but if you need more definition then your buggered. I mostly play in a folk band and that requires a clean sound that the LB cannot provide when competing with drums.

The OTB is super loud, I have never had it above c. 9 o'clock either master volume or gain and that includes playing outdoor festivals, it is loud.

That the OTB is much louder, cheaper and highly portable makes it the best choice. It also sounds great.

Thanks guys, these are all such useful replies.

It's good to hear from someone who has both - I loved the sound of the LB and I imagined it incredible for recording but at the price I need something that can do LOUD live stuff too. I think I've made the right choice, as I've started gigging more regularly. Maybe, MAYBE my Sterling through the Terror could be a tad aggressive for recording with my folky stuff, but we'll see. I'm not too bothered about EQ either, the active EQ on the Sterling is enough - I leave my current amp flat and do it all on the bass anyway...

I've decided to pair it up with a white matamp 2x12. It's going to sound and look absolutely SICK.

[quote name='Duarte' post='1137560' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:42 PM']I've decided to pair it up with a white matamp 2x12. It's going to sound and look absolutely SICK.[/quote]

Good choice there. Ive been thinking of that combination myself recently, should look tasty.

[quote name='Duarte' post='1137560' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:42 PM']Thanks guys, these are all such useful replies.

It's good to hear from someone who has both - I loved the sound of the LB and I imagined it incredible for recording but at the price I need something that can do LOUD live stuff too. I think I've made the right choice, as I've started gigging more regularly. Maybe, MAYBE my Sterling through the Terror could be a tad aggressive for recording with my folky stuff, but we'll see. I'm not too bothered about EQ either, the active EQ on the Sterling is enough - I leave my current amp flat and do it all on the bass anyway...

I've decided to pair it up with a white matamp 2x12. It's going to sound and look absolutely SICK.[/quote]

That will look absolutely PIMP!
Nice choice dude.

Eude

Right, I called Jeff at matamp today. He's such a friendly guy and was extremely informative - we chatted for quite a while about what would be best for me. I said that I was after a 212 and he suggested that I go for the 410. I can't exactly remember everything he said, as there was a lot of information coming my way! I am trying to work out what would be best for the Bass Terror.

He said that it is extremely important to get the right specs, which of course I know, but now I'm a bit confused.

To get the best out of the bass terror, what specs would I need in the cab? the watts and ohms and technicalities have me a bit puzzled. No experience with amps and cabs here!

The obt is 500w at either 4 or 8 ohms, theres selector switch on there for imedence. Im not sure if its possible but id im for an 8 ohm cab, so if you decided you need more speakers at any point you can just add another 8ohm cab.

In terms of power im not sure. 500w, but i get a little confused if thats rms you should spec. Norma ratings i believe are thermal. Im sure someone with a vast amount of driver knowledge wil assist better with this.

Im very envious! Try and keep the gas at bay to make sure the specs are exacty what you want, and futureproofed where possible.:-)

[quote name='Waterboarder' post='1137442' date='Feb 22 2011, 06:29 PM']I mainly play in a surf band and because the tone is so fat and punchy, I think it really fills the sound out nicely and compliments the thin, twangy guitar sound.
We do some punky stuff too, (trying to go for an Agent Orange/Man or Astroman? type sound I guess)...[/quote]

I've been thinking about getting one of these, but this response sealed it for me! (I thought I would be the only person who had heard of Man or Astoman? on Basschat.)

Sorry for the hijack, but what bass do you use for your surf stuff? I tend to use my Jazz with flatwounds, but have been toying with the idea of a Squier Jag for the looks.

I have an Ashdown 4x10, so it sounds as if I've struck lucky having a cab that suits the Orange already. Bonus!

Okey dokey, so:

The head is a 500w hybrid (switchable between 4ohms or 8ohms) - Say I order a 212 cab at 8ohms, I wouldn't be using the whole power of the head, but I would be able to get another cab (at 8ohms) later, and get the full 500w out of it? Jeff said the wattage of the cab is extremely important - I think he said that I would need a much higher powered cab to be able to use it comfortably. He said I would need a cab at about 1000w to make sure it would sound clean - is this only if I get one 4ohm cab?

Would I need to get a 500w, 8ohm cab to start with, and then get another one later if I need?

It's kinda tricky business...

Jeff also said I could come to the factory and try out any cab I wanted with my head, and bring a drummer and guitarist along with me and try them out in a band situation. Which would be absolutely great...but I wanna get the technicalities sorted first.

[quote name='Duarte' post='1141217' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:57 PM']Okey dokey, so:

The head is a 500w hybrid (switchable between 4ohms or 8ohms) - Say I order a 212 cab at 8ohms, I wouldn't be using the whole power of the head, but I would be able to get another cab (at 8ohms) later, and get the full 500w out of it? Jeff said the wattage of the cab is extremely important - I think he said that I would need a much higher powered cab to be able to use it comfortably. He said I would need a cab at about 1000w to make sure it would sound clean - is this only if I get one 4ohm cab?

Would I need to get a 500w, 8ohm cab to start with, and then get another one later if I need?

It's kinda tricky business...

Jeff also said I could come to the factory and try out any cab I wanted with my head, and bring a drummer and guitarist along with me and try them out in a band situation. Which would be absolutely great...but I wanna get the technicalities sorted first.[/quote]

It provides the full 500w at both 4ohm and 8ohm, I have played through a 4ohm (EBS) and an 8ohm (Orange SP212) cab with it and the difference is negligible.

Think an 8 ohm cab capable of handling 500/600 watts would be the way forward, as select the 8 ohm switch, full 500 watts. Then, should that not be enough (tho can`t think how) add another 8 ohm cab, to increase the size of the sound.

Or, just makes practicing easier, use one small cab for practices, 2 small cabs for gigs.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1141181' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:33 PM']I've been thinking about getting one of these, but this response sealed it for me! (I thought I would be the only person who had heard of Man or Astoman? on Basschat.)

Sorry for the hijack, but what bass do you use for your surf stuff? I tend to use my Jazz with flatwounds, but have been toying with the idea of a Squier Jag for the looks.

I have an Ashdown 4x10, so it sounds as if I've struck lucky having a cab that suits the Orange already. Bonus![/quote]

Hi Jac - Ive got a Squier CV Precision and just tend to use nickel 105's, as I say, our stuff is mainly on the punkier side of surf. I keep meaning to try some flats, its just the price that puts me off a bit!
A mate played his Jazz through my TB and it sounded wicked too, and from what I've read on here, you cant go wrong with those Squier Jag's for the money...

The pressure was too much! I went into PMT and did a deal on one. Teensy bit annoyed that I didn't notice I need speaker cables to connect to my cab until I got home. There's no phono option. Back into Norwich tomorrow morning, then.

By the way, if you went into PMT to get hold of a Terror Bass today, sorry. I called my local branch before I went in, but when I arrived it wasn't on display. When I asked about it, they told me it was out the back because someone had called into another of their shops and had asked for the amp to be shipped there.

Waterboarder, thanks for the info. Give flats a go! I bought an Aerodyne last week and an amp this week, so the Jag will have to wait a little while.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Duarte' post='1134971' date='Feb 20 2011, 11:59 PM']Nice demo ...cheers for the link!

I'm gonna go for it. A few days until I have the cash, then it's done.

Looking at a matamp 2x12 cab too...then I'm set![/quote]

Bloody awesome with the matamp mate..

+1 with the TB.

If you want also of flexibility of dials, don't buy it unless you have a very flexible pre amp or active bass. That said. I think you get a reasonable change tone when you adjust the mid dial.., which I think alot of people forget..

I play so many different styles and the only style it wouldn't really work for is if you want a clean very modern HiFi sound.. other go for it.. It'll be easier to shift than the Ashdown...

It's great with most cabs.. don't go near TC or simular cabs. It doesn't work, also I've never quiet got on with TC..

Orange, Ampeg, barefaced, MB cabs are great on it..

did I mention, it's more than loud enough to handle a 8x10 in a little tub :-)

Edited by algmusic