Why become a member? ×

Fender CIJ Precision '62 Reissue Fiesta Red

faceman

Not happy at all to have to be selling this but I just can't afford to keep it. I sold my beloved Rickenbacker to fund my higher education in London and made a stupid mistake by purchasing this for an audition. It is a fantastic bass, one of the best Precision I've ever played but I just can't afford to keep it. My plan was to turn it into something similar to the Pino Palladino Custom Shop but alas, it is not to be.

It is a 2005-2006 Crafted in Japan Fender '62 reissue Precision Bass in Fiesta Red with white scratch plate. It has a few little scratches but nothing major at all. Serial number S029944. I purchased it from John Blackman of Far East Guitars on 3rd February and it has only been out of the house once.

Sound wise, it is fantastic. Deep, crisp and cuts through a mix like butter. Played it for several hours last weekend and the tone just keeps on coming and coming. Much fuller than the Squier CV I have owned in the past and easier to play than a USA Precision. Neck is glossy but not over the top.

I'd like to get back exactly what I paid John for it two weeks ago - [s]£550[/s] now [b]£500[/b] picked up from Central London or £570 shipped anywhere in the UK. Happy for cash on collection or bank transfer. I've got plenty of feedback from past sales, so I'm someone you can trust!

I'd prefer a pickup as it is easier but am happy either way. Comes with all original tags and paperwork, along with Fender gig bag. Questions? You know where I am!

[b]UPDATE[/b]: This is now sold guys, thanks for all the interest!

Edited by faceman

[quote name='Jigster' post='1132373' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:50 PM']hey nice bass indeed - I noticed you've said the bass is MIJ in the title, but it's actually a CIJ in the description and pics - could make a difference in persuading people taking a peek??[/quote]

Am I being ignorant in not knowing what the difference is? (I looked at the post regardless.)

others will probs give you a more defined answer, but the basses Crafted in Japan (CIJ) were made almost exclusively for the Japanese market and considered to be better quality than those Made in Japan (MIJ) which, although still excellent machines, were made for export..

bump, might as well now I'm here

[quote name='Jigster' post='1133119' date='Feb 19 2011, 10:06 AM']others will probs give you a more defined answer, but the basses Crafted in Japan (CIJ) were made almost exclusively for the Japanese market and considered to be better quality than those Made in Japan (MIJ) which, although still excellent machines, were made for export..

bump, might as well now I'm here[/quote]

I was under the impression that the change was due to a different factory being given the task of producing them.
Seem to remember it changed about mid-nineties.

Have a bump.

I've got one of these, also in red, but with a tort scratchplate a la budget Pino - think mine is a 2004. If its anything like mine, whoever buys it wont be disappointed. Lovely neck to play.

Edited by nick

Thanks guys, you are right! The MIJ are made for the export market, whereas the CIJ are the ones that they don't sell internationally because they would damage the MIA sales. Corrected the title, thanks for the spot. A rather nice play to play and listen to.

Sunday afternoon bump! Had a trade offer but looking for cash. Throw your offer my way for a fantastic bass!

[quote name='Jigster' post='1133119' date='Feb 19 2011, 10:06 AM']others will probs give you a more defined answer, but the basses Crafted in Japan (CIJ) were made almost exclusively for the Japanese market and considered to be better quality than those Made in Japan (MIJ) which, although still excellent machines, were made for export.[/quote]

[quote name='karlfer' post='1133598' date='Feb 19 2011, 05:07 PM']I was under the impression that the change was due to a different factory being given the task of producing them.
Seem to remember it changed about mid-nineties.[/quote]
... and I was under the impression that the CIJ/MIJ was simply a change in title made in a particular year; in other words (and I may have this the wrong way round) you will never see a CIJ after a given year (say 95 for convenience), likewise you'll not find a MIJ pre this same date! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1134424' date='Feb 20 2011, 03:56 PM']... and I was under the impression that the CIJ/MIJ was simply a change in title made in a particular year; in other words (and I may have this the wrong way round) you will never see a CIJ after a given year (say 95 for convenience), likewise you'll not find a MIJ pre this same date! :)[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Starless' post='1134461' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:20 PM']MIJ 1982 - 1997
CIJ 1995 - 2008
MIJ (again) 2007 onwards

Makes no difference anyway. All of these models are superb. As good as the over-priced Made in USA (with no QC issues) and far superior to any Mexican made model.[/quote]

Thanks mate for clearing that up. Think this must have been one of the last CIJ basses.

[quote name='Starless' post='1134494' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:40 PM']...and... Export or Not-For-Export, not a blind bit of difference. This was purely business politics. The basses themselves were all of the highest quality.[/quote]

I don't believe that's true either. Neither does John Blackman, who knows a heckuva lot more than I do about this.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1138764' date='Feb 23 2011, 04:16 PM']I don't believe that's true either. Neither does John Blackman, who knows a heckuva lot more than I do about this.[/quote]
I agree too. Exports are different and usually have Japan pups, basswood bodies etc.

Nobody's yet mentioned the three types of CIJ lettering either :)