Why become a member? ×

Custom Bass Questions.

Joe 'Dingo' Wright

Hi there,

Im currently studying at university, im in my final year, and my current assignment is to build an interactive multimedia video. My subject is "Building a Custom Bass". The idea is, its got to be informative. So i thought id come here and ask people the following questions to inform my research and my assignment. It would be much appreciated if you would take a few seconds just to answer the following questions.

What information did you need to know before going ahead with a custom build?

If in an ideal world your were having a custom bass built, what information would you want to know before going ahead with the build?

What information have you or do you find hard to find on custom bass's and builds?

How did you go about the process of choising the components for your bass?

What advice would you need before going ahead with a build? (Wood choices, electronics etc) ?

Would you need information on different designs of bass (such as thru neck to bolt on neck) and the pro's and cons?

Thanks for your time and your help.

Cheers,

Joe.

Edited by Joe 'Dingo' Wright

Joe,

I've been through the custom build process a few time... I'd think about the phrasing of your questions as a few of them can easily be read as the same. I've tried to answer them best I can.

[quote name='Joe 'Dingo' Wright' post='1128346' date='Feb 15 2011, 01:51 PM']What information did you need to know before going ahead with a custom build?
--- [b]That I couldn't find a bass that felt right in my hands off the shelf in a music store, for me that was 50% of the reasoning behind going custom. The other is that by going custom you get a gorgeous instrument that looks perfect to you.[/b]

If in an ideal world your were having a custom bass built, what information would you want to know before going ahead with the build?
--- [b]The price always helps! Make sure you've seen and played examples of the Luthiers work as well, however if your at stage of having a custom build done then I expect your questions about basses have mostly been answered over your experiences of playing basses over the years[/b].

What information have you or do you find hard to find on custom bass's and builds?
--- [b]Many Luthiers tend to be pants at communication, generally as they are so damn busy. Extracting a final quote is not always easy... Oh, and getting an accurate completion date is almost impossible :)[/b]

What Information is important to you before going ahead with a custom build?
--- [b]Already answered/same as 2nd question.[/b]

What questions would you need to ask before going ahead with your build?
--- [b]Already answered/same as 2nd question.[/b]

Would you need information on different designs of bass (such as thru neck to bolt on neck) and the pro's and cons?
--- [b]I would imagine that you would of been drawn to one Luthier for one of 2 reasons. Either recommendation or because the instruments look cool. If they offer different ranges then you may want to know the main differences between sounds and functionality, although in most cases it tends to be an astestic thing. Not so much a 'design' thing but this is where you'd ask about pickups and electrics as well as wood choice if trying to achieve a specific sounds. You mention bolt on and thru neck, while there are lots of arguments over this effecting sustain, the general consensus from top Luthiers (at least those I've done builds with) is that its purely a preference and feel thing an effects the instrument sound & sustain in no way what so ever.[/b]

Cheers,

Joe.[/quote]

Make sure you alter those questions. There are basically only 2 questions above if you word them right, then you cabbage more useful questions...

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1130665' date='Feb 17 2011, 09:59 AM']Joe,

I've been through the custom build process a few time... I'd think about the phrasing of your questions as a few of them can easily be read as the same. I've tried to answer them best I can.

Make sure you alter those questions. There are basically only 2 questions above if you word them right, then you cabbage more useful questions...

Shep[/quote]

Hey Shep,

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, and pick fault with them, thats all useful stuff.
Are the updated questions more useful?

[b]What information did you need to know before going ahead with a custom build?[/b]
Confirmation of design, specification and materials to be used as well as price!

[b]If in an ideal world your were having a custom bass built, what information would you want to know before going ahead with the build?[/b]
As above

[b]What information have you or do you find hard to find on custom bass's and builds?[/b]
The approximate price of a bass before contacting the luthier. Not many have prices displayed on their website.

[b]How did you go about the process of choosing the components for your bass?[/b]
A lot of research into different components and also looking what a luthier has produced before. A lot of discussion with the luthier as well.

[b]What advice would you need before going ahead with a build? (Wood choices, electronics etc) ?[/b]
Choosing woods can be a nightmare. Lots of research and also speaking to people who have had basses built for them already. Input form the luthier is crucial as well.

[b]Would you need information on different designs of bass (such as thru neck to bolt on neck) and the pro's and cons?[/b]
This is really independent of the luthier. Experience with different basses is essential is you can make your own mind up

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Joe 'Dingo' Wright' post='1131115' date='Feb 17 2011, 02:58 PM']Hey Shep,

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, and pick fault with them, thats all useful stuff.
Are the updated questions more useful?[/quote]

Hi Joe,

Yeah I think so. Questions are more specific now… which in theory should mean you get better quality of answer and less waffle :)

[quote name='7string' post='1131199' date='Feb 17 2011, 04:00 PM'][b]What information did you need to know before going ahead with a custom build?[/b]
Confirmation of design, specification and materials to be used as well as price!

[b]If in an ideal world your were having a custom bass built, what information would you want to know before going ahead with the build?[/b]
As above

[b]What information have you or do you find hard to find on custom bass's and builds?[/b]
The approximate price of a bass before contacting the luthier. Not many have prices displayed on their website.

[b]How did you go about the process of choosing the components for your bass?[/b]
A lot of research into different components and also looking what a luthier has produced before. A lot of discussion with the luthier as well.

[b]What advice would you need before going ahead with a build? (Wood choices, electronics etc) ?[/b]
Choosing woods can be a nightmare. Lots of research and also speaking to people who have had basses built for them already. Input form the luthier is crucial as well.

[b]Would you need information on different designs of bass (such as thru neck to bolt on neck) and the pro's and cons?[/b]
This is really independent of the luthier. Experience with different basses is essential is you can make your own mind up

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Cheers! Thanks for the help its much appreciated !!!

[quote name='Joe 'Dingo' Wright' post='1128346' date='Feb 15 2011, 01:51 PM']I've been down the custom route a couple of times some many yrs ago with a twin neck Shergold 4 & 8 back in 77/78 and then a WAL custom but more recently with an Overwater last year.

[b]What information did you need to know before going ahead with a custom build?[/b]
[i]What type of bass ie 4,5,6 string fretted or fretless. An idea of what I wanted the bass to sound like and what style of music I intended using it for.[/i]

[i]As above. Also luthiers history and reviews on his previous builds.[/i]

[i]Impartial reviews are sometimes difficult. A lot of the expensive basses are pretty good quality so reviews tend to come across as "better than average bass" kind of thing. At this level you expect the quality but what are the pros & cons in a comparison against other luthiers or basses. I found it difficult hearing some of the basses before deciding who to choose.[/i]

[b]How did you go about the process of choising the components for your bass?[/b]
[i]Discussion with luthier after final decision made on who to build.[/i]

[i]You need an experienced luthiers opinion on wood choices for specific styles of bass. Certain woods work better for fretless and others for slap style. There's also the weight issue as hardwoods like Buginga etc are far heavier. If going down the 6 or more string bass route that can equate to quite a beast. (Many Yamaha 6 stringers complain of the weight issue and some have been known to change because of it) I guess that could depend on how long you are standing with it - haven't tried a Yamaha so don't know the full story or have all the facts there.[/i]

[i]Yes. I personally find thru necks feel better. That's a peronal choice based on experience over the yrs. You also have the basic look of the bass and most luthiers have a standard design which will be adapted to suit what you are looking for. Some luthiers will offer you a full custom design from scratch which will cost you an arm and a leg quite simply because its a complete one off. Others could have made same bass before however the wood finish will be different and therefore "custom" to a degree. [/i]

Cheers,

Joe.[/quote]

Hope this helps Joe.
Good luck with the project.

All the best.
Dave
:)

[quote name='Joe 'Dingo' Wright' post='1140397' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:43 PM']Hey Dave,

Thanks for having a look at the questions for me,

Your answers will definitely help me with my project.[/quote]

Remember and keep us posted on how you get on.

Have you tried contacting some of the luthiers direct with the questions. Some of these guys are very experienced and usually pretty helpful.
Just a thought. !

Cheers
Dave :)

Edited by dmccombe7

For me

I went around and played as many basses as I could...I couldn't find what I wanted

[b]If in an ideal world your were having a custom bass built, what information would you want to know before going ahead with the build? Could the luthier do what he says he can do.[/b]
After a few visits and a chat, I knew he could do what he said he could do.
Which happened to be, a better bass that I could get anywhere else for the money. He was right, IMO.

I went to see the guy and saw his work and played them.

[b]How did you go about the process of choising the components for your bass?[/b]
Toughie..as some times you can be the groundbreaker here...in that your choices of wood, headstock and little combinations might not have been covered too much prior....
I chose maple and bubinga for the look and there weren't any like that at the time..they were all wenge and bubinga, so that was my small leap of faith, IMO. Also the headstock was not available on a 5 either, IIRC.

See his previous efforts and play them, but as I said, you may be the first to request such things.

I had points of view available and none was conclusive, and still isn't regarding neck-thru..IMO.

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1141070' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:20 PM']Remember and keep us posted on how you get on.

Have you tried contacting some of the luthiers direct with the questions. Some of these guys are very experienced and usually pretty helpful.
Just a thought. !

Cheers
Dave :)[/quote]

I have actually, im in contact with Jon Shuker of Shuker bass's he's given me some helpful info, and ive also bought a book on building solid body guitars, and i also have a haynes manual for the fender strat, so hopefully, ive got some good conclusive info.

Il keep you posted on how i get on, and the final result.

Cheers

[quote name='JTUK' post='1141098' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:34 PM']For me

I went around and played as many basses as I could...I couldn't find what I wanted

[b]If in an ideal world your were having a custom bass built, what information would you want to know before going ahead with the build? Could the luthier do what he says he can do.[/b]
After a few visits and a chat, I knew he could do what he said he could do.
Which happened to be, a better bass that I could get anywhere else for the money. He was right, IMO.

I went to see the guy and saw his work and played them.

Toughie..as some times you can be the groundbreaker here...in that your choices of wood, headstock and little combinations might not have been covered too much prior....
I chose maple and bubinga for the look and there weren't any like that at the time..they were all wenge and bubinga, so that was my small leap of faith, IMO. Also the headstock was not available on a 5 either, IIRC.

See his previous efforts and play them, but as I said, you may be the first to request such things.

I had points of view available and none was conclusive, and still isn't regarding neck-thru..IMO.[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to read through and answer these questions. Its all helpful info.

Cheers!!

Hi Joe,

Who is your DVD aimed at and what is the purpose? If you are offering information about options and basically educating the viewer about the many variables involved in choosing a custom bass then you just need to break down the variables into sections then clearly explain the impact of the choices.

The issues are that there are SO many variables with something as 'insignificant' as fretboard wood (that's in inverted commas because it obviously isn't insignificant).

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1144157' date='Feb 28 2011, 08:46 AM']Hi Joe,

Who is your DVD aimed at and what is the purpose? If you are offering information about options and basically educating the viewer about the many variables involved in choosing a custom bass then you just need to break down the variables into sections then clearly explain the impact of the choices.

The issues are that there are SO many variables with something as 'insignificant' as fretboard wood (that's in inverted commas because it obviously isn't insignificant).

Dan[/quote]

Hi Dan,

Im aiming it at the bassist that requires a package of information about custom bass's, but because its a relatively small assignment to the rest of my uni work, i think my main focus will be the woods, as it seems to be the sketchiest area about custom bass's, il be mentioning other things to, like the differences in designs, like thru neck and so on, il mention other variables but not in great detail.

Cheers mate.

I guess you've come to the same conclusion your lecturer would point you to: 'Be specific'.

I would suggest focussing on 5 main body woods, their tonal properties and their organic nature that leads to their tonal properties; then perhaps some visual examples of facing woods but without any analysis.

You'd cover a lot of the choice and be able to find both scientific and aesthetic pointers which should gain you marks on thoroughness on creativity. I would echo 3below's request on your marking criteria too.

It sounds like a great project and I am rarely a pedant but I think you've asked for help and we can do it.... the plural of bass is [b]basses[/b]. A quality belonging to a bass is a [b]bass's[/b] quality.

Dan

PS I'm sorry if you found that patronising, but I'm a teacher who does his best to help his students get the best marks possible.

[quote name='Joe 'Dingo' Wright' post='1143385' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:08 PM']I have actually, im in contact with Jon Shuker of Shuker bass's he's given me some helpful info, and ive also bought a book on building solid body guitars, and i also have a haynes manual for the fender strat, so hopefully, ive got some good conclusive info.

Il keep you posted on how i get on, and the final result.

Cheers[/quote]

Another great luthier is Alan Cringean of ACG. Definately worth looking up, goes by the username 'skelf' on here.

Others which I have spotted on here are letts and biarnel (? I think).

I didn't order a custom bass yet, but I am considering having a bass built for me.

Lots of things. Based on the experience with various basses I've played over the years, I think I pretty much know what I like in a bass and what I don't, in terms of woods, neck joint, scale length, neck profile, body contours (both in terms of aesthetics and looks), pickups, pickup placement, electronics. But a luthier may well have different thoughts on this, based on my description of the tone and tonal options I'm looking for. And of course, when comparing basses, there's often more than one variable that's different so you can't really pinpoint what variable is the most decisive in creating the tonal differences between the two. So before pulling the trigger, I would have to talk to a luthier about the specs to share our thoughts, and to make sure we agree about this before I place my order.

Mostly the tonal characteristics of different species of wood. There is a lot of information on this subject, but most written descriptions of tone are somewhat vague and describe the writer's view and taste, which I don't always share.

Based on experience with other basses. And part is a bit of a gamble, really.

I'm open to any type of advice. I place a lot of trust in the skill and experience of a good luthier.

Yes, would be greatly appreciated. Right now I favor bolt-on necks, but if something else would work better for the tone I'm looking for, any good advice is welcome. I like a traditional look and feel but I like both modern and classic tones and preferably in the same instrument, so there may be a bit of a challenge in combining all my wishes in a single instrument.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1145198' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:56 PM']I guess you've come to the same conclusion your lecturer would point you to: 'Be specific'.

I would suggest focussing on 5 main body woods, their tonal properties and their organic nature that leads to their tonal properties; then perhaps some visual examples of facing woods but without any analysis.

You'd cover a lot of the choice and be able to find both scientific and aesthetic pointers which should gain you marks on thoroughness on creativity. I would echo 3below's request on your marking criteria too.

It sounds like a great project and I am rarely a pedant but I think you've asked for help and we can do it.... the plural of bass is [b]basses[/b]. A quality belonging to a bass is a [b]bass's[/b] quality.

Dan

PS I'm sorry if you found that patronising, but I'm a teacher who does his best to help his students get the best marks possible.[/quote]

Yea im focusing this project on 5 woods, and some differences between a thru neck and a bolt on neck bass. So far ive acquired these woods and recorded the tones of them, using a contact mic into the computer, so the user can click on the 'wood' and hear the sound back, ive used a pen to tap the woods to get there 'sound'. I know it isnt ideal, but at least it will give the user an idea of the characteristics of the wood.

In terms of a question, the criteria for my study, is very basic and vague. The only criteria i have to meet are, for the assignment to be informative, easy to navigate, and for the main focus to be on the sounds, as my course is a sound orientated degree. and thats about it.

Thanks !!!!

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='1146186' date='Mar 1 2011, 06:17 PM'][b]What information did you need to know before going ahead with a custom build?[/b]
I didn't order a custom bass yet, but I am considering having a bass built for me.

Lots of things. Based on the experience with various basses I've played over the years, I think I pretty much know what I like in a bass and what I don't, in terms of woods, neck joint, scale length, neck profile, body contours (both in terms of aesthetics and looks), pickups, pickup placement, electronics. But a luthier may well have different thoughts on this, based on my description of the tone and tonal options I'm looking for. And of course, when comparing basses, there's often more than one variable that's different so you can't really pinpoint what variable is the most decisive in creating the tonal differences between the two. So before pulling the trigger, I would have to talk to a luthier about the specs to share our thoughts, and to make sure we agree about this before I place my order.

Mostly the tonal characteristics of different species of wood. There is a lot of information on this subject, but most written descriptions of tone are somewhat vague and describe the writer's view and taste, which I don't always share.

Based on experience with other basses. And part is a bit of a gamble, really.

I'm open to any type of advice. I place a lot of trust in the skill and experience of a good luthier.

Yes, would be greatly appreciated. Right now I favor bolt-on necks, but if something else would work better for the tone I'm looking for, any good advice is welcome. I like a traditional look and feel but I like both modern and classic tones and preferably in the same instrument, so there may be a bit of a challenge in combining all my wishes in a single instrument.[/quote]

thanks for taking the time time to answer these questions!

[quote name='Biarnel' post='1152166' date='Mar 7 2011, 08:31 AM']Yep, here I am :)
Feel free to ask questions![/quote]

Hey there, thanks for posting.

So when a customer 1st comes to you, and there talking about a particular sound or tone, im guessing they describe what they'd like the bass to sound like, and you'd explain to them, the choices available to them in terms of woods, and the possibility of a thru neck?

I have the basic understanding that, harder woods have a brighter tone, and that thru necks transmit vibrations to the bridge better, but thats about it really.

Can you help?

Cheers!

Hi guys and girls,

Thanks for all the interest and support you've all shown, you've al really helped, and im sure my grade will benefit from your input.

My submission has since been handed in, so i no longer require any one to answer the questions, but if however you feel the need to do so, then knock your self out.

Cheers people!!!!!