Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Classic 450 Vs RH450

machinehead

The Classic is apparently the same sound, but here are the features the RH have as extra:

Very functional tuner
Ability to use the excellent pedal
Semi parametric EQ
Ability to store 3 different sounds (virtually everything) and recall them quickly
Headphone/aux in for practicing (I use this all the time)
Digital output on rear for recording

They both sound great, but the RH features make it for me.

Got a Classic last year as I wanted a simple amp that sounded good, inspired confidence and was compact. Wouldn't swap it for the world now as I set it at the start of a gig and forget about it. Sounds killer, is very loud and I would only end up obsessing about tweaks if I had all the other functions. Plus the price difference is ludicrous in my eyes.

For me, the tuner alone is just about justification! I know I can always use a separate tuner, but it's more bits & a battery to maintain. The fact that the tuner is *always* there and on is brilliant.

I'm also swung by the coolness of it - and the fact its settings are *so* visible in a dark venue.

The presets - wanted them, but don't use them too much.

The one slight benefit that the Classic has (other than price) is the dedicated Compressor knob, where the RH450 has it as a shift function.

Ultimately, though, my philosophy has tended to be: if in doubt, go higher end. The pain of the cost is quickly forgotten, but the benefits are there fore ever.

[quote name='Alec' post='1130700' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:35 AM']For me, the tuner alone is just about justification! I know I can always use a separate tuner, but it's more bits & a battery to maintain. The fact that the tuner is *always* there and on is brilliant.

I'm also swung by the coolness of it - and the fact its settings are *so* visible in a dark venue.

The presets - wanted them, but don't use them too much.

The one slight benefit that the Classic has (other than price) is the dedicated Compressor knob, where the RH450 has it as a shift function.

Ultimately, though, my philosophy has tended to be: if in doubt, go higher end. The pain of the cost is quickly forgotten, but the benefits are there fore ever.[/quote]

yeah, this is how i feel as well.

It was seeing MarloweDK using one on youtube, specifically seeing the tuner all lit up, that first alerted me to these heads and i think the tuner is a fantastic idea.

I like the idea of a tuner, but already having a Boss TU2, wouldn`t change my Classic for the RH. Not interested in pre-sets, as once I have a good sound, I just stick with it. I`m very much a supporting bassist.

If however I was starting out with no gear, or coming back from a lay-off, then the inclusion of this would probably swing it, as one less bit of gear (and associated lead) to carry about.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1130749' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:16 AM']I like the idea of a tuner, but already having a Boss TU2, wouldn`t change my Classic for the RH. Not interested in pre-sets, as once I have a good sound, I just stick with it. I`m very much a supporting bassist.[/quote]

Same here.
After i realised i never tune up during a gig, only the one time at sound check, i felt paying more of a built in tuner was not really practical, no matter how many lights it had on it.
As for pre-sets/EQ, although i realise the TC is different form my MB SA450 that i run almost flat, i doubt i would use more than one EQ setting at a gig.

I really wish i had taken one of the the classics's that were on here in Dec now.

Hmmm, anyone want a SA450 lol.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well, I was using a couple of different sounds on my (Programmable) BDDI for different basses (I use a passive P/J and an active Ray), so they naturally translated into presets (the input gain can be preset on the RH, which I find very handy - you really don't want to get that wrong on a busy stage). Less faffing with the controls - 1 is Passive P, 2 is Ray, 3 is for the 'softer' setting for our more acoustic numbers. I am a simple creature, and I can cope with numbers which light up. As long as there's only 3... :)

The downside of the always-on tuner is that if you play a bum note, the guitard can see what you've done... :)

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' post='1131000' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:41 PM']Well, I was using a couple of different sounds on my (Programmable) BDDI for different basses (I use a passive P/J and an active Ray), so they naturally translated into presets (the input gain can be preset on the RH, which I find very handy - you really don't want to get that wrong on a busy stage). Less faffing with the controls - 1 is Passive P, 2 is Ray, 3 is for the 'softer' setting for our more acoustic numbers. I am a simple creature, and I can cope with numbers which light up. As long as there's only 3... :)

The downside of the always-on tuner is that if you play a bum note, the guitard can see what you've done... :)[/quote]
The plus side though is that if you play a fretless you get to adjust your intonation to perfection on those slow drawn out notes :lol:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Much appreciated. I seem to be leaning towards the Classic because I honestly don't think I would ever use the extra functions on the RH so I might as well save the money.

Like dave_bass5, I tune before sound check and during the break only. Also, I tend to use one setting unless it's a reggae song and even then, I might just play at the neck.

I'll report back when the moneys been spent. Thanks again.

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='machinehead' post='1133364' date='Feb 19 2011, 01:55 PM']Thanks for all the advice everyone. Much appreciated. I seem to be leaning towards the Classic because I honestly don't think I would ever use the extra functions on the RH so I might as well save the money.

Like dave_bass5, I tune before sound check and during the break only. Also, I tend to use one setting unless it's a reggae song and even then, I might just play at the neck.

I'll report back when the moneys been spent. Thanks again.

Frank[/quote]

So what did you get in the end?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1155698' date='Mar 9 2011, 06:48 PM']So what did you get in the end?[/quote]

Nothing yet Linus. I have my LMII and an Ashdown LG1000 as backup (great amp too actually) and not that many gigs for the next while, plus money is a little tight.

Still leaning towards the Classic 450 over the RH450 but that damn Streamliner 9 is calling me as well. :)

Frank.

• 4 months later...