Why become a member? ×

'I just want to get back what I paid for it'

Martin E

certain basses will just never stop being worth a certain amount.. a US fender for instance will hit its bottom shelf of say around 500 quid, and always be worth that until something mad happens to the market or something drastic happens to the instrument.

obviously someone saying "i just want to get back what i paid for it" with a custom instrument they just ordered is going to be disapointed

What I like about here is that the 2nd hand stuff has a reasonably stable price range. I can pick something up for a good price, try it out (the Markbass Super synth which arrived today) and if it is not my flavour then I can just toss it back in to the pool and someone else will take it. If you live in gear deserts then this is incredibly useful.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1122911' date='Feb 10 2011, 05:29 PM']If you see two 1962 Fender Precisions for sale, similar condition. The first bass 20 previous owners, the second only one previous owner - you would still expect to see them priced about the same.
Number of owners is irrelevant - It's all about the condition.[/quote]

Not necessarily, it is fairly common that a mint "under the bed find" 50 year old instrument is probably going to be a dog , hence never being played much. The really good players will usually get played to death in the meantime, and command less money, but be absolutely magical, even after 3 refrets, new bridge and losing 70% of the paint :)

I don't like to see that phrase,to be honest.
Just state the price and leave it at that. How much you paid for it is totally irrelevant. If it's a good price and someone
want's it,it'll sell.
If I see some one saying 'I paid £XX,and want to get back what I paid',my first reaction is 'no-I want it for less',but if just the price
is stated I might be happier to pay it.

+1

It's a completely new transaction and all the ones before are pretty much irrelevant, plus there are a whole new bunch of things to consider; current condition, current market, potential new buyers - one of whom might have been waiting for 10 years to buy that final bass for their collection. Anyway, what about a bass that's had twently previous owners and been played to death . . . er, by every famous bass player you could think of - shouldn't be worth much more than £100 then? :)

If age and number of previous owners always drove down prices, I'd have a house filled with fine antiques and old masters.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1123482' date='Feb 11 2011, 02:25 AM']If I see some one saying 'I paid £XX,and want to get back what I paid',my first reaction is 'no-I want it for less',but if just the price
is stated I might be happier to pay it.[/quote]

Despite feeling that it is slightly unfair, I'm inclined to agree with this. No idea why!

As others have said, it's all about the [i]current[/i] state of the market - what you paid for that item even six months ago is irrelevant (except maybe as a guide price), but to rigidly stick to your guns on a price that may have been rather arbitrarily arrived at by the previous seller is pointless and short-sighted IMO.

If it sells, be glad. If not, you may have to drop your price! Not complicated is it? :)

[quote name='owen' post='1123385' date='Feb 10 2011, 11:13 PM']What I like about here is that the 2nd hand stuff has a reasonably stable price range. I can pick something up for a good price, try it out and if it is not my flavour then I can just toss it back in to the pool and someone else will take it. If you live in gear deserts then this is incredibly useful.[/quote]

Exactly. I find that this is increasingly prevalent at the higher end of the price scale. People buy stuff expecting to be 'wowed' by it, and when they are not, might feel let down and slightly embarrassed that their judgement was in error. Selling the gear on can help to alleviate this sense of guilt and embarrassment.

Now if only I could find someone who'd done that with a five string Status series II! :)

I think its perfectly OK to wish for a state the comment in a for sale ad

1. Its honest, regardless if you are selling for higher, lower or the same, you are simply stating this is what I paid X time ago, and this is the price its up for

2. Some gear, will hang around at a certain value for years, once its had its initial drop from new price, before perhaps climbing in value

If the item is worth it , perhaps the owner could ask for more than they paid, but is offering it the same to be fair to other basschatters

At the end of the day, if its not the right price it wont sell, and as long as comments are honest, then what is wrong with people making them

Id only have issue with deception of history, prices and reasons why

^^ i think reasons for people selling is a shady one. Sooo many times you see people selling their 'pride and joy' due to bills that need to be paid etc, but yet the next week they have a new, more expensive bass :)

The people that actually use phrases like 'its not for me' or simply saying they don't like it are the people i am most comfortable buying off!

Of course the vast majority of people, myself included more often than not, will exaggerate on how they feel about the bass, but i don't have time for people that lie to make a sale seem more appropriate.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' post='1124447' date='Feb 11 2011, 10:18 PM']^^ i think reasons for people selling is a shady one. Sooo many times you see people selling their 'pride and joy' due to bills that need to be paid etc, but yet the next week they have a new, more expensive bass :)

The people that actually use phrases like 'its not for me' or simply saying they don't like it are the people i am most comfortable buying off!

Of course the vast majority of people, myself included more often than not, will exaggerate on how they feel about the bass, but i don't have time for people that lie to make a sale seem more appropriate.[/quote]

I had often wondered on this one too. I guess we all sort our finances and priorities out differently.

I don't think I used that phrase in my sale threads but I may have. I have bought a number of items on here that if i had been inclined I could have easily sold off at a profit. Therefore one of the benifit of basschat is that often items can be under the going rate- because people will sell to a forum member for less. There is then a understanding that buying just to sell at profit is a moral abuse of the goodness of people selling cheaper on basschat.
The flipside to this is that people will buy stuff and want to sell it on and their guide price, cleanly stated, will be "this is what it cost me, this is what i want back". nout wrong with that.