Why become a member? ×

Tom Jenkinson/Squarepusher

ThomBassmonkey

Just saw Cairobill post a link to a video of his in the for sale forum. Any other fans here?

I've been telling my friends for years what an awesome bass player he is, as well as the awesome music he makes. He also seems like a nice chap!

Two videos, first one's a special thing he did for the guardian. Second is an interview for the BBC with him playing at the end.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1119818' date='Feb 8 2011, 10:49 PM']Yeah some of his work is inspired, some of it is a bit too much for me though. Great player and very down to earth.

Great taste in basses too![/quote]

have you read any of his 'interviews' in the print media LW? I'm not familiar with his music but the written word is interesting in how he explains his approach.

Not that much, i don't think he's done too many interviews to my knowledge. He seems a bit leftfield in the was he creates music i think, which i like.

He's put up the odd video on youtube (or someone else has for him), there was one linked here a while ago of him jamming with his new drummer. Tbh i watched the drummer more on that one as he was so good!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1119986' date='Feb 9 2011, 01:35 AM']Not that much, i don't think he's done too many interviews to my knowledge. He seems a bit leftfield in the was he creates music i think, which i like.

He's put up the odd video on youtube (or someone else has for him), there was one linked here a while ago of him jamming with his new drummer. Tbh i watched the drummer more on that one as he was so good![/quote]

potentially generalizing a bit here but he seemed to be philosophically opposed to the idea of even having an interview.
I guess this struck me as quite interesting, also about how he explained why he chooses to not listen to music in his writing 'process'.

[quote name='risingson' post='1120124' date='Feb 8 2011, 02:30 PM']I really love Squarepusher, but not really for his bass playing as much as his music that he produces. That said he's clearly a good player![/quote]

+1

Not too fond of his bass tone, but musically I love almost everything he does, ever since I happened upon the 'Budakhan Mindphone' ep in '99.
He's the only artist where I make the effort to buy all of his new releases.

Great live too

From a bass player's perspective, an interesting track is 'The Modern Bass Guitar' from the album 'Hello Everything' - I think it's bass guitar given the mental midi Squarepusher treatment, and the results are superb imo

He produces truly original music - a rare thing these days

[quote name='Conan' post='1119812' date='Feb 8 2011, 09:46 AM']Can't honestly say that I like all of his stuff, but some of it is incredible! Amazing player and a very talented guy.[/quote]

I [i]love[/i] Squarepusher! I kind of like the fact that I can't possibly like everything he does...it's impossible to like everything he does! He pushes everything as far as it can go: his creativity, his technical ability, my listening, my preconceptions. Whatever it is, he pushes it. Thanks for bringing him up, OP!

Two great tracks:

[i]Tundra [/i]from [i]Feed Me Weird Things[/i] - no bass playing but stunning percussion programming and composition:

[i]Chunk S[/i] from [i]Music Is Rotted One Note[/i] - BADASS bass playing in a more conventional but still kind of twisted way.

The difference in approach to those two tracks blows my mind. Same dude though...only 2 years and a handful of albums apart. Brilliant.

Edited by leroybasslines

He's mind blowing - the bass work is amazing but it's the computer manipulations of beats and sounds that are truly gob-smacking - no one in my opinion has taken things THAT far with elasticating time and rhythm... Hello Everything is cool and I really like the new album as well.

[quote name='Huwberry' post='1121381' date='Feb 9 2011, 02:08 PM']One of my biggest inspirations, both as a bass player (even if I'll never be able to match his technique) and a musician/composer. If push came to shove, I'd say my favourite tune is this:

[/quote]

I can't describe how much I love that particular tune.