Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001 bass for sale

utopiummusic

Hello everyone,

well as the title says I'm selling a very nice 1978 rickenbacker bass. It is in very good condition for it's age and the only modification that has suffered is that the tuners were mounted backwards (see pics). But the painting and everything else is ORIGINAL. The color is FIREGLO or AMBERFIREGLO, here are the pics:

The price is 1500 quid. I am Located in Paris France, but I can ship it to the UK or maybe eventually take the Eurostar and show it around London. please PM me if you are interested or if you have any further questions. I have ebay Feedback so you can verify I'm a serious person.

Thank you very much in advance!

Andy.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='128266' date='Jan 26 2008, 04:38 PM']Another 'For Sale' post with no introductions...

Where's the love? This is a Forum, not 'Loot' :)[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12201"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12201[/url] :huh:

[quote name='utopiummusic' post='128278' date='Jan 26 2008, 03:53 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12201"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12201[/url] ;)[/quote]

Haha, love it. You made it minutes after someone noticed ;) ...cheeky! :)

Edit: For Gareths Comment, couldn't have said it any better :huh: esp with the sarcasm

Edited by Pedro1020

They sell for about £800-1000 on ebay here, unless they have checkered binding aka really old school 4001 which can go for allot more depending on condition.

It's worth noting that different countries have different market values for products like this, in the US for example, the 4003 tends to go for more second hand than they cost new.... because there is a 1+ year waiting list.

[quote name='gareth' post='128312' date='Jan 26 2008, 05:01 PM']But who actually plays them in a gigging band.

I know lots of local bands and they all use fenders and stingrays - no-one uses a rick[/quote]

Good point...

If I used a Ricky (and I've tried!) it'd have to be a 4003...

I don't think there's anything better about a 4001 is there?

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='128322' date='Jan 26 2008, 05:19 PM']Gaiz, just because you don't agree with a sellers price isn't really a reason to jump on his head :/[/quote]

Yep - it's getting a bit tedious when instead of PMing the seller people jump on the bandwagon and ridicule the price/item for sale.

If members believe the price is misinformed then please PM the seller with your concerns, if they choose to ignore you then that is their prerogative.

If the cost is too high, then quite simply - no-one will buy it.

[quote name='Machines' post='128330' date='Jan 26 2008, 05:30 PM']Yep - it's getting a bit tedious when instead of PMing the seller people jump on the bandwagon and ridicule the price/item for sale.[/quote]

I disagree... it's best to have this out in the open, also there's little enough posting on the site in the last few days as it is.

I've been quite lax about it to be honest but i'm now getting bored of it. If you disagree with price someone has put their item up for, then PM them saying why you believe it is too high. Something is of course only worth what someone is willing to pay, what YOU are willing to pay may be different to someone else. If they choose to take your advice then great - if not then it isn't your problem.

If you believe the seller is purposely being dishonest about the item then please PM a moderator who will look into it.

The vigilante style self-moderation that is becoming commonplace is a nice theory, but can leads to this kind of situation. It doesn't benefit the forum and doesn't give a favourable impression of the people who are discrediting the item.

I will from now on begin to delete any posts where I believe a member is discrediting the seller for the only reason that they disagree with the price of the item.

[quote name='Machines' post='128354' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:25 PM']I've been quite lax about it to be honest but i'm now getting bored of it. If you disagree with price someone has put their item up for, then PM them saying why you believe it is too high. Something is of course only worth what someone is willing to pay, what YOU are willing to pay may be different to someone else. If they choose to take your advice then great - if not then it isn't your problem.

If you believe the seller is purposely being dishonest about the item then please PM a moderator who will look into it.

The vigilante style self-moderation that is becoming commonplace is a nice theory, but can leads to this kind of situation. It doesn't benefit the forum and doesn't give a favourable impression of the people who are discrediting the item.

I will from now on begin to delete any posts where I believe a member is discrediting the seller for the only reason that they disagree with the price of the item.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Machines' post='128354' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:25 PM']I've been quite lax about it to be honest but i'm now getting bored of it. If you disagree with price someone has put their item up for, then PM them saying why you believe it is too high. Something is of course only worth what someone is willing to pay, what YOU are willing to pay may be different to someone else. If they choose to take your advice then great - if not then it isn't your problem.

I will from now on begin to delete any posts where I believe a member is discrediting the seller for the only reason that they disagree with the price of the item.[/quote]

+2. Agree 100% with all of that.

Well said machines!

Back in the days of bassworld I was selling a MIM Jazz, newish with case, strap, straplocks, new strings, extra strings etc and posted was I believed was a fair and honest price. Before I knew it, forumites were flashing up posts knocking the price all over the place. It got a bit heated as I requested such comments to be PM'ed and we could discuss their concerns. Instead they chose to publically berate my selling methods. The bass sold a few days later for the asking price and the buyer was very happy with his package. Those knocking the price were not even in the market for a MIM Jazz so it was pretty much a waste of effort on their part.
Makes me wonder who many of the price knockers on here are actually in the market for a 4001? I can only presume 'none' as they would have PM'ed the seller to negotiate a deal.
Personally, Ricks are not my bag although I can appreciate their beauty and unique tonal qualities. Is this one overpriced? Possible, maybe not. What I won't do, however, is trample all over this thread spouting my 'valued' opinion.

Good luck with the sale Andy, and welcome to Basschat.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that it's a free market, and that goes for [b]opinions[/b] (some of which are learned, others less so) and to [b]prices[/b].

It comes back I think to a basic divide; on one side the members who like a very moderated environment, like to be told what to post and where...

And others who value a more free environment. Discounting the obviously abusive posts I can't see the problem with discussing a bass and it's value.

Most of the discussion in this thread has been about Rickys, rather than the posted asking price of this example. Interesting points have come up...

To me this is a [b]discussion[/b] forum, not a [b]free ads site[/b]. If someone has an opinion, why on earth not hear it. Who benefits from deleting opinion?

On the basis that every forum members opinion is of equal value, here's my 2p:

1. If the price is wrong in some way people won't buy - no loss.
2. If I had got a price too high I would appreciate a friendly pm (this has happened to me on a couple of occasions, and in both cases I have appreciated the advice), however I probably wouldn't have appreciated having my 'ignorance' broadcast in the open forum.
3. If someone didn't like the item I was selling - I would prefer they kept their opinions to themselves or put their opinion in a different thread.

Live and let live guys let's not spoil a generally friendly and open forum.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='128638' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:42 PM']My opinion (for what it's worth) is that it's a free market, and that goes for [b]opinions[/b] (some of which are learned, others less so) and to [b]prices[/b].

It comes back I think to a basic divide; on one side the members who like a very moderated environment, like to be told what to post and where...

And others who value a more free environment. Discounting the obviously abusive posts I can't see the problem with discussing a bass and it's value.

Most of the discussion in this thread has been about Rickys, rather than the posted asking price of this example. Interesting points have come up...

To me this is a [b]discussion[/b] forum, not a [b]free ads site[/b]. If someone has an opinion, why on earth not hear it. Who benefits from deleting opinion?[/quote]

Totally agree on the whole David... the point I was trying to make is about manners. If you personally think a seller has overpriced would you post it on the forum or PM the seller, allowing him the chance to listen to your concerns and possibly amend the price.
Most posters on here who are experienced in the second hand/vintage market would recognise a rip-off sale straight away and the Mods have stated that they will take the necessary actions against such sales.
This sale appears to be moderately (in everyone's opinion) overpriced and not an attempt to scam anyone. He's now invited offers, so those genuinely interested have a chance to get a great bass at the price they feel warrants their interest.

[quote name='tombboy' post='128647' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:59 PM']Totally agree on the whole David... the point I was trying to make is about manners. If you personally think a seller has overpriced would you post it on the forum or PM the seller, allowing him the chance to listen to your concerns and possibly amend the price.
Most posters on here who are experienced in the second hand/vintage market would recognise a rip-off sale straight away and the Mods have stated that they will take the necessary actions against such sales.
This sale appears to be moderately (in everyone's opinion) overpriced and not an attempt to scam anyone. He's now invited offers, so those genuinely interested have a chance to get a great bass at the price they feel warrants their interest.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd agree wholeheartedly on discussions [b]purely[/b] about price, I just think that these threads can and do throw up other related (or even not so related) issues... And I would reiterate your point:- if manners/respect/empathy go out the window, the forum is doomed... and that cvan't happen, it's just too good a place to be :)