Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a combo...

Jerry_B

I've started looking around for a combo recently and was wondering if there were any recommendations for something in my price range (the most I can go is about £300-325)? I'm after something that is a bit of an all-rounder, that can cope with punky plectrum-playing stuff as well as fretless playing.

At the moment I've got my eye on the Fender Rumble 150, but is there something better out there that may suit my needs...?

A very versatile combo that I had was a Marshall MB4210.
Has two channels, modern, with compressor, and classic, with gain and boostable gain function. Both channels can also be blended.
300 watts on its own, and you can add in another speaker, which puts it up to 450 watts.

I`d also check out the for sale section on here, as for your budget, you`ll get much more this way than going new. Always some Trace Elliot & Hartke gear about, and you can`t really go wrong with either of those.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1118311' date='Feb 6 2011, 09:34 PM']Hmm - interesting! Must admit I'd not considered a 2x, because of the size - but it's a nice idea. Any 1x combos in my price range that fit the bill?[/quote]
well I know that I was very lucky,got my gk 150 for a gnats cock under £300,
just a case of keeping your eyes peeled and being ready with the wonga

A lot of the secondhand 1x15 Trace Elliot combo's would be inside your budget. Theres also Behringer if you want to take a punt. Some go in no time others last for ever. Theres a 1x15 combo in a venue we play in thats been going strong for the last 2 years. Gets about 7 hours work a week average so its not exactly under used.

The Hartke Kickback line might be worth a look also.

How about this...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118536"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118536[/url]

Or indeed this...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120944"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120944[/url]

Older TE gear is nigh on indestructible and had great tone (IMO). Weighs a ton, but in some ways that can be quite reassuring!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1118198' date='Feb 6 2011, 08:17 PM']I've started looking around for a combo recently and was wondering if there were any recommendations for something in my price range (the most I can go is about £300-325)? I'm after something that is a bit of an all-rounder, that can cope with punky plectrum-playing stuff as well as fretless playing.

At the moment I've got my eye on the Fender Rumble 150, but is there something better out there that may suit my needs...?[/quote]
Got a Roland DB 700 with effects and HP socket 15" speaker lot of combo for £250 ono.In superb condition with wheels and a cover

I've got the Rumble 350 which I'm aware is out of your price range especially as Fender prices have gone up quite a lot recently. However, they do sound good, very good. I've only used it at practice but it cuts through and I've not had it past 2 1/2. In fact I was told 'bit loud on that last number' the last time.

A guy in a guitar shop near me was quite taken aback with how loud the old Rumble 2x10 100w was and really rated it.

I'd probably go for a second hand TE though

Only reason I got new was where I live it's a right royal pain getting to where people are selling gear which is usually 200 miles away:)

Line 6 are generally very good within your budget. However when it comes to resale you'll generally struggle. I think there's are 300pro for sale somewhere on here and they're great amps. Also VERY VERY loud (and sound alright with a guitar too on a random side note...)