Why become a member? ×

Pickup combinations

ead

Just having quite a severe attack of GAS looking at the Overwater Aspiration basses in BGM (tempered by what I could afford), but I'm not sure what a combination of MM/J bass might sound like. Any thoughts/experiences out there?

I've owned a Sandberg JM4 for about five years. The MM/J arrangement is very versatile, especially when you have a coiltap on the MM (like mine). You can get a very good approximation of a jazz bass, plus the Stingray sound, or a good ballsy sound with both on :)
An active/passive option might be worth thinking about as well(like mine).

Nige

[quote name='yorick' post='1111959' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:17 AM']I've owned a Sandberg JM4 for about five years. The MM/J arrangement is very versatile, especially when you have a coiltap on the MM (like mine). You can get a very good approximation of a jazz bass, plus the Stingray sound, or a good ballsy sound with both on :)
An active/passive option might be worth thinking about as well(like mine).

Nige[/quote]

+1. My Shuker has MM/J with a coil tap on the MM. Just about the most versatile pickup combination you can go for IMO.

The musicman pickup on my Lakland has 2 pickups under the cover and a switch which lets you choose between neck and R/H MM, which I believe is a 70's Jazz tone, neck and L/H MM, which is a 60's Jazz tone and just the MM pickup. That's looking down when you're playing it. There is a pan control to move the volume balance between the two pickups. I don't know what you can do to get more flexible tone controls.

[quote name='yorick' post='1111959' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:17 AM'].......The MM/J arrangement is very versatile, especially when you have a coiltap on the MM (like mine)...............
..............An active/passive option might be worth thinking about as well(like mine).

Nige[/quote]

Thanks people. I'm not clear about what a coil tap is and does :) so would welcome some help there.

Also what do you gain from an active/passive option? I have a couple of passive instruments and one active (Spector PJ) bass, but as they all have different pickup combinations it's not easy to make a direct comparison.

[quote name='ead' post='1114888' date='Feb 4 2011, 08:01 AM']Thanks people. I'm not clear about what a coil tap is and does :) so would welcome some help there.

Also what do you gain from an active/passive option? I have a couple of passive instruments and one active (Spector PJ) bass, but as they all have different pickup combinations it's not easy to make a direct comparison.[/quote]

Coil tap is when one of the coils of a humbucker is taken out of the circuit, meaning you're left with a "single coil" pickup. Usually done via a switch or push/pull potentiometer.

If you want the lower end of the market, try my bass, the Cort GB74. Not the last word in sonic excellence but has a real variety of sounds available because of the 3-way switchable coils and a low-mid boost switch.

Add to that the volume switch also acts as an active/passive push-pull.

For sound samples, check out youtube for GB74/75/94 and there are a few more examples on wikizic.org

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

I've got the same set-up in my MTD Kingston Heir 5, which also have the Active/Passive option.

You get a good range of tons from it. I tend to play finger work over the neck J for the bluesy moments, yet get a reasonable approximation of an MM from picking at the bridge.

I'm wondering if anyone is close enough for you to try?

[quote name='ead' post='1119753' date='Feb 8 2011, 09:37 AM']Is there a material difference between an MM and a Humbucker?[/quote]

Well, a MM pickup [i]is[/i] a humbucker but so are the soap bars you see fitted to allot of basses and also pickups like the double Jazz and the G&L. A precision split coil pickup is technically a humbucker too. Even forgetting the Precision pickup, they all sound fairly different so if you want a MM sound you'd best go for a MM humbucker or one specifically designed to imitate it. You can still mess around with coil switching but be sure of that classic Ray sound.