Why become a member? ×

part of my bass resonates when I play some notes

civictiger

Hey guys, a part of my bass, right near the bridge, resonates when I play some notes, even with only a small amount of force - particularly the open A string makes the most racket!

does anyone have any idea what it might be that is causing this??

I have tried holding down my bridge with one hand and plucking with another and it still happens, tried holding down my strap pegs, the battery plate on the back, the control plate on the front.. even the springsthat are on the saddle's and I am lost! maybe its a saddle itself I am unsure, but its really annoying!

I have an American Fender Jazz Deluxe if that helps diagnose this error!

Could be that one of the adjustable 'legs' on one of the bridge saddles is not quite making contact with the flat part of the bridge? If you've the right size allan key, just give them all a tiny tweak to feel if they are loose. It doesn't take much!

I've tightened all the screws on the bridge, and made sure the legs are completely sitting..
but still, resonation city!!

im thinking it may be the truss rod like someone posted, I did just downgrade from a heavy gauge string to my beloved mediums (I used heavy for a project I was in but just left).. this may very well be it?
if so, any thoughts on a fix?

[quote name='civictiger' post='1111229' date='Feb 1 2011, 04:38 PM']I've also just tried pressing down REALLY hard past the nut, so that an A# is produced and this solves the problem, whereas tuning the string to A# does not..
So im thinking the string needs more tension, possibly?[/quote]

Sounds like the A string hasn't been wound far enough down the post, producing the problem because of the shallow break angle over the nut?

Another possibility I've experienced before when downgrading from heavy gauge strings is that the slot in the nut has worn slightly bigger than it originally was due to the heavy gauge strings. When you then go back to standard gauge, because the slot is slightly too big, it can cause the string to"rattle" ever so slightly in the slot.

I spent a while scratching my head trying to figure out where it was coming from!

Try packing the slot out a little with some paper or thin card, and see if the buzz disappears. If it does the trick, you'll either have to get a new nut or live with the piece of card (which I did in my Jazz for about 6 years!).

Hope this helps.

you can check nut groove rattle by pressing a fingernail down directly on teh plaing side of the nut.

go over the whole instrument with a screwdriver and jsut check everything's tightened right up.

if no improvement, check if there's any tension in the truss rod... if it's completely slack, give it a tweek until you just start to feel the nut "bite"... it'll make no tangible difference to the setup, but will stop the rod nut/rod rattling.

[quote name='fonzoooroo' post='1112077' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:56 AM']you can check nut groove rattle by pressing a fingernail down directly on teh plaing side of the nut.

go over the whole instrument with a screwdriver and jsut check everything's tightened right up.

if no improvement, check if there's any tension in the truss rod... if it's completely slack, give it a tweek until you just start to feel the nut "bite"... it'll make no tangible difference to the setup, but will stop the rod nut/rod rattling.[/quote]

I just put my fingernail down in the nut slot where the A string sits, and this pretty much stopped mostthe resonating, there is a TINY bit but there always wil be a tad I reckon.. so I think this may be the problem
I guess a new nut may be needed.. althought I really wouldnt be comfortable doing this myself.. Do you think if I go to get my bass a decent setup that they would do this for me for an extra cost? The most suitable place I can think of would be a music shop called Sheehans - I dont know of any private people that do anything as such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fonzoooroo' post='1131306' date='Feb 17 2011, 05:30 PM']Did you get this sorted?[/quote]

I did thanks Fonzo :) well, I know the problem, atleast..
sorry for the late reply, been really busy!

basically the higher gauge strings I used previously somehow degraded the groove in the nut where my A string sits, so I need a new nut.
I'll have to wait around 5 months til I can afford one tho!