Why become a member? ×

Moving from Rock...

Jamesemt

Start off by saying that I cut my musical teeth with Guns n Roses but am happy to listen to anything without prejudice (is that called getting older??!!)

Anyways, just wondered if anyone had any experience of playing in a non traditional music setup? For some strange reason a Black Eyed Peas tribute really appeals! Anyone played bass behind a Boyband tribute or the like? I'm presuming that type of thing is mostly backing tapes? Been listening to some Dr Dre recently, who if I remember rightly always tries to use 'proper' bass...and an Octaver unless my ears deceive me!

Maybe I just want to diversify a bit, but I'm not clued up for Jazz! If I am being honest, the big draw to moving from guitar to bass was the fact that mostly anything can have bass on it...

[quote name='chris_b' post='1110762' date='Feb 1 2011, 11:53 AM']Paul Turner plays bass [b]JUST FOR THE MONEY[/b] for Take That and I've seen him playing for Ronan Keating, so go for it![/quote]

Edited that for you! :)

[sub]I'm sure he doesn't really. He does those gigs because he loves the music and to increase his street credibility. [/sub]

[quote name='matski' post='1110878' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:33 PM']Edited that for you! :)

[sub]I'm sure he doesn't really. He does those gigs because he loves the music and to increase his street credibility. [/sub][/quote]

Or more likely because he's a pro who doesn't have any prejudice regarding gigs,and will be
killing it regardless of the artist.

Although,obviously it's better to have 'integrity' and not get high profile gigs. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1110894' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:46 PM']Or more likely because he's a pro who doesn't have any prejudice regarding gigs,and will be
killing it regardless of the artist.

Although,obviously it's better to have 'integrity' and not get high profile gigs. :)[/quote]

Nah... he's deffo doing it for the money.

If money was no object do you seriously think he'd still do it?

I've recently gone from playing rock music to pop/hip hop/soul etc. And i can say that its the best move i've made so far in my bass playing life. I feel rock music isn't as challenging anymore, and other genres like pop etc are much more fun to play (however cheesey). And you tend to get better audiences playing more popular tunes. My favorite tune i play in my band atm is Material Girl by Madonna. Which this time last year ide have been embarrassed to play but now i've realized how fun that song is to play. Its also made me a better player too. I recommend to everyone to make the same move!

I'm sure that I would never really have the chance, but I think it would be great fun to join a backing band for a talented vocalist, even a rap group or hip-hop act, just to back any popular outfit. Great way to travel, play to large crowds and just go along for the ride. Having always been in an original band with a good deal of creative control I imagine that it must be difficult to just play for someone else, but the idea still attracts me.

My early bands were more in the spirit of Guns N Roses. I did Glam & Punk stuff. The last few have seen me play upright bass at times with banjo, mandolin, pedal steel & fiddle. No real advice, I just roll with things as they happen. I wouldn't have guessed the last ten years of my playing if I'd have been given a million pounds but it's just the way my tastes have changed. I could go off tomorrow & play in a 60s Psych band or a folk act - as long as I like the band I'll give it a go.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1111243' date='Feb 1 2011, 05:50 PM']The last few have seen me play upright bass at times with banjo, mandolin, pedal steel & fiddle.[/quote]

:) Sometimes the transition from rock isn't such a good idea though... :)

When I was in Sixth Form, I played in a hip hop tribute group at school to help out the students that were actually studying music (there were no bassists on the course!) and I found it really really fun! Less definitely is more and you get a chance to play around with some wick effects without sounding totally out of place or looking like a pretentious twat. Great fun, I'd recommend it to anyone for a laugh.

Truckstop

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1110977' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:48 PM']....he's deffo doing it for the money. If money was no object do you seriously think he'd still do it?....[/quote]
You mean he wouldn't want to be playing good songs, in a successful band with great players, in big venues which are full of enthusiastic fans and being noticed as a guy who can “cut it” at that level by many other artists, bands and musicians who will ask him to join their projects?

Nah, you're right. Who in their right mind would want to do that?

[quote name='chris_b' post='1111330' date='Feb 1 2011, 05:37 PM']You mean he wouldn't want to be playing good songs, in a successful band with great players, in big venues which are full of enthusiastic fans and being noticed as a guy who can “cut it” at that level by many other artists, bands and musicians who will ask him to join their projects?

Nah, you're right. Who in their right mind would want to do that?[/quote]

Paul's a great player, I admire him for his playing skills and the fact he's made a good living for himself doing what he's done. As far as I was aware though he hasn't been the Take That tour bass player for a while, Lee Pomeroy was the last time I saw any live footage, and I can't say I rated him too much, he didn't seem too right for the gig. I'm sure all the big session guys do gigs like the one you described for the reasons that you mentioned, but there really is no denying the financial rewards of playing with such a massive and well funded tour like Take That... I'd do it in a heartbeat.