Why become a member? ×

Hum eliminators

gafbass02

Any got any thoughts on these?, i know theres the ebtech and the EHX, will they cure the buzz i get when my dimmer switches are on?
Any one got any experience with em?

Or should i just get a belkin pureav 8 way mains adaptor thing?

Edited by gafbass02

I can't comment on the eliminators, but I cure the dimmer switch issue by turning the lights up full and moving away from the light switch!
Failing that, I turn the main lights off and put a lamp on!
I assume that this is a domestic/practice issue. Not wany people have dimmer switches in their live pedalboards. Although I've heard that they can be converted to make a good Wah.... :)

Edit- Are any basses or settings worse than others? I find Single Coils are (naturally) most susceptible. Humbuckers seem fairly immune.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Its a HUGE hum the goes away when i touch metal parts and only occurs when any one of the several dimmers is on in the house even if its up full!
Its not there on any of my fully active basses with active pups and preamp, i.e. Status jazzbastard, and streamer, but the basses with passive pups and a pre amp its really bad on, ie my ray and my KSD, its there but not too bad on my squier VM.
Sounds like earth hum but is a pain in the ass!
I tried the belkin pure av from work and it did nothing at all, gutted!

If it goes away when you touch metal parts it indicates an earth problem. Active pickups have lower inductance and are far less susceptible to interference, which could be why you're not getting any problems with your active basses.

If your passive basses are grounded properly then it points to an earth problem in your amp, power lead or mains circuit which will need sorting pronto. If you've got other amps or mains leads you could try swapping them (as well as any extension lead you might be using), and the mains can be checked with a Martindale tester.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='gafbass02' post='129284' date='Jan 28 2008, 03:02 PM']Its a HUGE hum the goes away when i touch metal parts and only occurs when any one of the several dimmers is on in the house even if its up full!
Its not there on any of my fully active basses with active pups and preamp, i.e. Status jazzbastard, and streamer, but the basses with passive pups and a pre amp its really bad on, ie my ray and my KSD, its there but not too bad on my squier VM.
Sounds like earth hum but is a pain in the ass!
I tried the belkin pure av from work and it did nothing at all, gutted![/quote]

re: Its a HUGE hum the goes away when i touch metal parts -

does that include touchig the strings / bridge ?

[quote name='rmorris' post='210803' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:22 PM']re: Its a HUGE hum the goes away when i touch metal parts -

does that include touchig the strings / bridge ?[/quote]

sorry - I meant 'touching' - problem with my wireless keyboard

Try one of these, we use these little babys on all our audio chains before the amp inputs, doesn,t need a battery and works like magic.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pli01_line_isolation_box.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pli01_line_isolation_box.htm[/url]

Thanks mate, might be worth checking out, what does it do?

RE the safety thing, the hum has been with various amps/basses and with or without FX so im pretty sure its the house rather than any of my gear which all behaves just fine elsewhere and indeed in the house too, when the dimmers are off.

It depends where the hum is entering into the system.

If the hum is coming in on the AC power line then the "line isolation box" suggested might help. It essentially uses a transformer to prevent ground/earth problems and eliminate hum.

If, however, the hum is being picked up through the air (by your pickups) then this won't make any difference. You can check if this is the case by moving the bass around - different positions, different angles etc. If the hum CHANGES as you move around then it is being picked up by the pickups. If it stays constant then it's probably coming in on the AC power line.

The fact that it only happens on some basses makes me think it might be airborne interference. You can sometimes use the bass as a "direction finding antenna" to locate the source of the noise. As you get nearer to the source the noise will get louder.

Typical culprits are - lighting dimmer switches, fluorescent lights, energy saving lights, CRT computer monitors.

Those little palmer boxes can cure all sorts of weird noises that you can come up against, we recently hada problem with a click from our sequencer coming thru to the monitor desk which appeared to be coming from our drummers mixer altho there was no signal being sent from his end exept for a bass drum signal from his roland drum pad and it turned out that the signal was getting thru due to an earthing loop.
I took my plo1 from my effects chain and put it befrore his input into the monitor desk and poof ! it was gone.
you notice as well just how quiet your signal is with one of these last in line of your signal path before the amp input.
we luv ,em.

Something else that is cheap to check out is whether the problem is caused by your amps being on the same circuit as the dimmers. Take/borrow a long extension lead and take a power feed from the other end of the hall. If that cures the problem then you need to find which circuit the lights are on, and try and find a socket back-stage that is on a different circuit.