Why become a member? ×

Bilbo Jazz Recordings......

Bilbo

A few recordings we did to produce a demo for getting function band gigs (hence the short tunes and excerpts). The band played together once and hadn't played three of these tunes together before this session (which took 3 1/2 hours). The piano player is singing. I am on double bass on all but Black Friday (the Wal). The 'studio' was someone's front room and this was all done using Cubase and with the double bass DI'd using a K&K pick up (the Wal went straight in) . Guerilla recording!! I have to say, I am really happy with the results; no two handed tapping, no double thumbing, nothing flash, just journeyman bass playing.

Oh, and I have called the band Whither Then?

Nicely done sir, i absolutely LOVE Monk tunes, so that for me is worth the price of admission. The only critique I have is that the sax (probably alto) on 'straight, no chaser' has a bit to much vibrato at the end of the phrase. Other than that it's the best thing I've heard all day ( and I've been listening all day). You guys put real energy into your performance.

I really hope that the sax comment doesn't make me come across as a bit of a buzzkill, because I'd rather encourage people than bring them down, and i genuinely did like what I heard, it's just that one single thing that took some of the icing off your cake for me.

Great sounding (and above all, authentic) recording. I'd much rather hear a good recording of a live performance than a perfectly polished 'hatchet job'.

Brownie points all round.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1099400' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:36 AM']I'd love to have a listen to these alas wma files are of no use to me... :)
Any chance of converting a couple to MP3 mate
Jake :)[/quote]

This works Jake,
And its free. [for playback anyway]

[url="http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents"]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...er/wmcomponents[/url]

Good one Bilbo.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1099455' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:23 AM']This works Jake,
And its free. [for playback anyway]

[url="http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents"]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...er/wmcomponents[/url]

Good one Bilbo.

Garry[/quote]
Cheers Garry, It worked.
So thanks for the PM Bilbo but heard it now.... nice work!
Jake

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1099499' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:52 AM']Thank you Bilbo for posting these. An absolute pleasure to listen to. :)[/quote]
+1 lovely tunes

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1102539' date='Jan 25 2011, 06:48 PM']I listened to em all[/quote]
me too

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1103225' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:51 AM']Great stuff! From a recording pov, particularly impressed with the drum sound, given that it's someone's front room - how was the kit mic'ed up?[/quote]

Two mics, as I recall. Not sure which. It was a nice sounding room, tho'. Wood panelling on the walls helped soften the sound.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1102514' date='Jan 25 2011, 06:30 PM']Interesting to see that 78 people have opened the first excerpt (Straight No Chaser) and then the number of listeners goes down as the list progresses. Are you guys trying to tell me something :)[/quote]

I started at the top and worked my way down.
My way of thinking was - The files are smaller so less chance of a Drum solo!

Garry

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1104305' date='Jan 26 2011, 08:11 PM']Two mics, as I recall. Not sure which. It was a nice sounding room, tho'. Wood panelling on the walls helped soften the sound.[/quote]
Two mics - keep it simple and let the kit do the talking. It has to be a good kit mind, and played by someone who knows the kit and it's dynamics inside out. No problem there then. [s]I'd have preferred the bass just a tad up in the mix, but that's probably me[/s]. After a proper sit-down listen through my big system - the bass is balanced nicely in the mix, warm and solid. By 'eck Bilbo that does sound good. :)

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

• 2 weeks later...