Why become a member? ×

Thread On Tb...

bubinga5

Firstly, let me say that the action on my keyboard is a little high, so I may make a few typos.

The bloke is comedy gold. It's not so much his playing, which is infinitely better than mine, but his belief that he is much, much better than he is. If he gets paid to do what he does, fair play to him.

I think, however, that the videos at the bottom reveal just what sort of a person he is, especially the one on the bottom left: does he actually contribute anything?

[url="http://www.jaxsn.com/"]http://www.jaxsn.com/[/url]

And let's not forget his acting:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-qTxAyx0s&feature=player_embedded#"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-qTxAyx0s...layer_embedded#[/url]!

Now, I'm just a R&5ths plodder, and not a particularly good one at that, but even I know that timing is a fundamental part of a players repertoire; does this bloke know it exists?

So, there ya go, my criticism. My constructiveness: (re)visit the basics.

Oh, and thanks for the laugh. :)

270dgrz.cm

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096079' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:16 AM']Delusion or desire to continue playing the bass? Kicking the SH1T out of some ones confidence, misplaced or other is going to do nothing for him as a player, or us as a community of musicians.[/quote]

See the mistake you've made here is confusing confience with delusion.

If he had confidence in his actual ability then there would be no thread about him, however the guy has confidence in abilities he just does not possess - that's delusion.

IMO he should be told about it, not in the way some TBers have done (nobody deserves that, it's just plain rude) but he's already making an ass of himself on the www and if he doesn't take the blinkers off then it's only gonna get worse. If it were me i'd appreciate it.
He should stop giving lessons and start getting some himself - that's what i'd do.

Tbh some of the replies he's given on TB are so arrogant and so self appreciative that it's hard to like the guy, no matter what his playing is like. Even if he was a great player i'd struggle to put up with all his yapping about religion, desire and swords. The fact that he hasn't got anything like the skills to back it up just confounds the problem.

As i've already said, the threads are really about what an ignoramus the guy is, not his awful playing.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1096222' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:27 PM']See the mistake you've made here is confusing confience with delusion.

If he had confidence in his actual ability then there would be no thread about him, however the guy has confidence in abilities he just does not possess - that's delusion.

IMO he should be told about it, not in the way some TBers have done (nobody deserves that, it's just plain rude) but he's already making an ass of himself on the www and if he doesn't take the blinkers off then it's only gonna get worse. If it were me i'd appreciate it.
He should stop giving lessons and start getting some himself - that's what i'd do.

Tbh some of the replies he's given on TB are so arrogant and so self appreciative that it's hard to like the guy, no matter what his playing is like. Even if he was a great player i'd struggle to put up with all his yapping about religion, desire and swords. The fact that he hasn't got anything like the skills to back it up just confounds the problem.

As i've already said, the threads are really about what an ignoramus the guy is, not his awful playing.[/quote]

I think you're right.

I also think that some of the reaction on BC is down to us Brits being deeply inhibited (why do you think we drink so bloody much?) and reacting badly to people who display no humility or realistic appreciation of their own skills and ability while bragging their arses off.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096035' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:48 AM']If you dont have anything constructive to say, leave it alone and move along dont point and laugh at the musicians you dont appreciate.[/quote]

Alright then.....

Rhythmically he is all over the place.Whenever he goes for anything even remotely complex his time seriously drifts and he ends up doing those big slides while he gets himself back together.
Harmonically,everything is very simple and based around the minor pentatonic,with his slap playing being limited to E and occasionally A minor pentatonic.
Technically,he gets a lot of fret buzz and he often trips himself up because he is trying to execute ideas that he can't pull off.
He has a lot of confidence in what he is doing,which because he is unable to back it up with his playing,manifests itself as ego. He could be a much better player if he spent some more time in the woodshed rather than producing ego boosting videos of himself.

Constructive enough?

[quote name='270degrees' post='1096218' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:19 PM']Firstly, let me say that the action on my keyboard is a little high, so I may make a few typos.

The bloke is comedy gold. It's not so much his playing, which is infinitely better than mine, but his belief that he is much, much better than he is. If he gets paid to do what he does, fair play to him.

I think, however, that the videos at the bottom reveal just what sort of a person he is, especially the one on the bottom left: does he actually contribute anything?

[url="http://www.jaxsn.com/"]http://www.jaxsn.com/[/url]

And let's not forget his acting:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-qTxAyx0s&feature=player_embedded#"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-qTxAyx0s...layer_embedded#[/url]!

Now, I'm just a R&5ths plodder, and not a particularly good one at that, but even I know that timing is a fundamental part of a players repertoire; does this bloke know it exists?

So, there ya go, my criticism. My constructiveness: (re)visit the basics.

Oh, and thanks for the laugh. :lol:

270dgrz.cm[/quote]
:)

I like the bit where he says his "fans" have requested he demonstrate some funk and slap improvisation :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1096245' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:45 PM']Alright then.....

Rhythmically he is all over the place.Whenever he goes for anything even remotely complex his time seriously drifts and he ends up doing those big slides while he gets himself back together.
Harmonically,everything is very simple and based around the minor pentatonic,with his slap playing being limited to E and occasionally A minor pentatonic.
Technically,he gets a lot of fret buzz and he often trips himself up because he is trying to execute ideas that he can't pull off.
He has a lot of confidence in what he is doing,which because he is unable to back it up with his playing,manifests itself as ego. He could be a much better player if he spent some more time in the woodshed rather than producing ego boosting videos of himself.

[b]Constructive enough?[/b][/quote]

No. You have not utilised the constructive feedback sandwich. Positive / Negative / Positive

You could, for example, have mentioned that his slapped double stop slides did in fact remain diatonic. And that he demonstrated some awareness of the concept of the ONE.

[quote name='silddx' post='1096256' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:52 PM']No. You have not utilised the constructive feedback sandwich. Positive / Negative / Positive

You could, for example, have mentioned that his slapped double stop slides did in fact remain diatonic. And that he demonstrated some awareness of the concept of the ONE.[/quote]

Right ok....I was unaware of the sandwich concept.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1096263' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:58 PM']Right ok....I was unaware of the sandwich concept.[/quote]

It is very useful in conveying negatives while giving encouragement. Most teachers should use this concept when giving feedback to students.

However, in this case I was being :)

Cheers Paul

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1096222' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:27 PM']See the mistake you've made here is confusing confience with delusion.[/quote]

I'll bow to your telepathic Psychological analytical power, or your in depth knowledge of the man or his music.

How do you know its not supposed to sound like that, if he is happy with the performance, then it is.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1096245' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:45 PM']Alright then.....

Constructive enough?[/quote]

Well tell him not us. I, nor anyone else will benefit from your peer based assessment of his performance

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096288' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:22 PM']Well tell him not us. I, nor anyone else will benefit from your peer based assessment of his performance[/quote]
And who are you to judge who will benefit or otherwise?

You seem to be all sweetness and light one minute, and abrasive and all-knowing the next. You also seem to like telling people what to do and what not to do based on your personal perception of what's right and wrong.

How many personalities do you actually have?

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096288' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:22 PM']Well tell him not us. I, nor anyone else will benefit from your peer based assessment of his performance[/quote]

He can read it if he wants.
You could benefit from it,to a point,if you take on board the problems pointed out and work on them yourself. I do this all the time.

[quote name='silddx' post='1096293' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:27 PM']And who are you to judge who will benefit or otherwise?

You seem to be all sweetness and light one minute, and abrasive and all-knowing the next. You also seem to like telling people what to do and what not to do based on your personal perception of what's right and wrong.

How many personalities do you actually have?[/quote]

You obviously are misinterpreting my posts. I am simply at a loss to understand the barrage of negative comment relating to this guys playing.

It doesn't portray this or any other forum in a good light having the sneering bile and derision displayed to some one who post videos, which they are obviously proud of. Does it really offend you that he enjoys his playing and composition of his music.

Im also sorry if you feel I have an audacity for disagreeing, or offering retorts in a manor they were engaged but that does not mean I have multiple personalities, pretty infantile comment, suites the school yard attitude of some of the posts.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1096295' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:28 PM']He can read it if he wants.
You could benefit from it,to a point,if you take on board the problems pointed out and work on them yourself. I do this all the time.[/quote]

Yes that is called reflection, however it only truly works as part of a complete learning cycle as in Kolb. ie taking part in all of the experiences which is'nt applicable as i did not play or compose the piece of music in question so therefore the value of your critique is little.