Why become a member? ×

Youtube

Pete Academy

Its an interesting way of doing it as a promotional thing, people can see what you look like, as well as what you sound like.

We did a video a few years ago but as with a demo, some people think if its a bit half decent its all done with studio trickery.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1094344' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:15 PM']Can we see it Pete?[/quote]

Quite a few on YT. Maybe I'm being harsh...initial reactions and all that. The OP was asking if anyone likes insolicited vids of their band/performances.

I think the problem with bass is that it just doesn't get represented on a cheap recording.

I think it depends on the nature of the problems you have with the recording, punters are more understanding of video limitations than they ever were for audio-only recordings - and that applies to the sound off the video as well. Probably because lots of people have used their phones to record at gigs with crap results, and also because it's easier for an untrained eye to pinpoint visual recording limitations than an untrained ear wrt audio.
Post a link and we can all get judgemental!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1094309' date='Jan 18 2011, 07:58 PM']Someone filmed us at a gig a couple of weeks ago and decided to post the clips on Youtube. The quality is awful. It doesn't represent us live whatsoever.[/quote]

I've been in the same boat, having had lots of videos posted of our band which I've never been too keen on. The reality is you're probably your own worst critic, and unless it is a diabolical performance which I'm sure it isn't, then it's probably worth not worrying about. Being hypercritical of your work is both good and bad; good in that you'll always strive for perfection and ironically, bad for the same reason.

EDIT just watched your link. I've seen a sh*t load worse! The video quality is poor, but the playing far from.

Edited by risingson

Yeah, the quality isn't the best, but someone obviously thinks you're worth the time and effort to put it on YouTube for others to see, that's pretty cool.

If he'd posted it with the title 'f***ing sh*te band I saw the other night' or something, it'd be a different story, but as it stands I reckon it's a pretty good advertisement for you. I'm sure lots of people with see this and google you, which will lead them to your website, which may in turn lead to more people at gigs. Win.

The sound quality is pretty bad - there are moments where the distortion makes it sound like it's all off key. I know it's the distortion throwing up all sorts of wrong harmonics. Not everybody viewing this will. However.... what does come over is the musicianship of the band, you can tell the underlying performance was correct ('correct' doesn't even begin to cover it in my humble opinion :) ). Quality will show itself, and it does.

I wouldn't worry too much about the video content - it's a typical unfocussed (in all ways) snapshot. Everyone will get that.