Why become a member? ×

Stringray Question

Dave D

Hi Guys (and gals).

This is my first (of many stupid) posts. I'll do an intro next by the way.

I'm about to upgrade to a new bass, and had really not given a Musicman any thought, preferring 'through neck', Ibanez shaped basses. Realising that this wasn't really the best way to spend my money, i took a trip to my local shop and played a few different makes.

The guy, Russ, suggested i try a MM Stingray 3eq in trans red (probably the last colour i would have chosen, but now my fave). He set me up with an Ashdown rig the same as my own, and the Stingray was a dream to play. The range of sounds, action, feel, everything was just right. I'm a bit of a cynic, though, because most things sound good at the shop, but i've pretty much decided that a Musicman will soon be joining me on stage.

So anyway, down to the question.
Personally, i prefer the look of the Sterling. I'm sure that the chrome control panel is something that many others prefer on the Stingray. But can you get a Stingray without the panel (as per the Sterling). And what are the main differences between the Stingray and the Sterling? I think the Sterling is smaller, but as for sound/playability? Alternatively is the Sterling available with a 3eq set up?

Well thats it for now.
Thanks for the replies that i'm sure will follow, and look forward to becoming a regular on this great forum.

Dave

Sterlings have slightly narrower necks (think J vs P) than a Stingray, the pickup has ceramic magnets compared with Alnico in the Stingray, they've also got a neat series, parallel, coil tap switch, with the coil tap working with a phantom coil to give humbucking while sounding like a single coil.

I A/B'd a Stingray against a Sterling for more than an hour before buying the Stingray... they're both awesome, but the fatness of the stingray won it for me.

Calling all the usual MM guys!........ou7shined, musicman20, mcnash

Firstly Hi and secondly yes there is a rear routed stingray but its the 20th anniversary model with a fancy top etc although one went on the site last week funnily enough and for what I think was a very fair price too.

The main differences between the sterling and stingray are the width of the nut/neck with the Ray being fatter similar to a P bass and the Sterling more of a J bass width, Personal choice really IMO.
The Sterling I think has the ceramic pickup which has more mixed reviews than the Rays alnico one and the reason the earlier Ray5's dont always get the same love as their 4 string siblings as they too have the ceramic pickup which has now been changed since 2008 to be the same as the Ray4 for that reason. Again you may prefer a Sterling for sound too I beleive most people say its a bit more gentle where a Ray rips yer face off!

I will see what the others say but thats a start.

I like the Sterling, as it's so well proportioned and sounds great. It sounds as though you're at the stage where buying the best player is more important than obsessing over different types of magnets! A 'Ray aficionado will have a preference, as will more experienced both players. But they'll both be fantastic instruments that you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of!

Hi Dave

I apologise in advance for my bias :)

I have bought & sold approximately a dozen Music Man Stingray basses over the years, after rueing the day I sold my 1st one of 25 years!
The reason they were not kept is that they did not have the same tone as the Pre-CBS models.
I bought another '79 Pre-CBS and I can tell that I smile like a "cheshire cat" when I play it.
IMHO - you should check one out before you decide and yes they will find them @ Vintage Prices.
There was one up for sale on ebay earlier for £1795.00 or Best Offer, which has been there for a while.

[attachment=69040:IMG_0981.JPG]

Happy bass hunting

Perry

Sterling - Ceramic pups, more aggressive modern middy sound but basically a MM tone, jazz type neck, very comfy neck heel and body shape.

Stingray - Classic alnico pups, more fat smooth tone, P ish neck but very easy to play, larger body.

Both VERY nice. Ray is classic, Sterling is for those who fancy something a little bit different.

Have owned both, I love the feel of a j neck and have tried sterlings, always end up with the switch in the position closest to the sound of a 'ray
Play a 'ray now most of the time, tone to die for , cuts thru anything. feels good on a strap, sterling felt small and the neck difference is an easy one to get over

Tony

Thanks everybody.

The sound was really good. And the eq seemed to cover most of my needs.

I've never been too much into slap, but even that seemed easier. The guys in the band will be pleased. they've got a list of RHCP numbers to do.

Just need to decide for definite on the colour now. It was defo black before i started to look, then trans red when i played it, and i've just seen a teal one on the forum!!
And a black scratch plate or something a little more colourful? But defo a maple fretboard, but then again the rosewood does look good with the black..............!!!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1091848' date='Jan 16 2011, 09:21 PM']Not much I can add here but I wonder why the 3eq was recommended to you over a 2eq which is generally more loved in the community.

(yybass : I think you had a wee brain fart there buddy. :))[/quote]

I wouldn't say that the 3eq was exactly 'recommended'. It was just what happened to be hanging on the wall. Is the 2eq preferred then?

[quote name='DrDave' post='1091871' date='Jan 16 2011, 09:42 PM']Great!!

So now i don't know which colour, which fretboard, which scratch plate or wheather t choose 2 or 3 eq!!!

Looks like i'll have to spend another day touring the music stores of Essex

Wish me luck[/quote]

Easy look at my sig! 4&5 strings too, I even have a teal one like the one you were looking at in the fs section. My pre CBS sounds the best and has the slimmest neck profile and nut width. Oh no we may have a new in joke guys? Pre CBS :)
No rosewood yet though......where's martthebass.......ha

Edited by stingrayPete1977