Why become a member? ×

Gig Amp

Looper

Hi, wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced amp for doing small pub gigs? I've been looking at 300w 1x15" amps, but don't know if thats too much or too little.
I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that can play clean and loud.
Any suggestions or advice welcome.
Thanks all.

Thanks dannybuoy, I'm in the west of Ireland, no-where near anything. I'd probably have to buy on-line, so I'd be looking at new.
I'm playing in a cover band, the guitarist is playing an electro-acoustic, and the percussion is a bodhran player. Doing a mix of stuff, beatles, kinks, stones, that kind of easy going stuff.
My budget is whatever I have to spend to get something thats up to the job, if I can get something good for around £300 I'd be pleased.
Thanks again.

Edited by Looper

300W is fine - you can always turn down if necessary! There are combos from Ashdown, Trace Elliot, Line 6, Peavey and Fender that wil all do a fine job and you can often pick them up dirt cheap from the for sale forum here, gumtree or eBay.

It would also help if you told us where you are, whether you're after new or used, what your budget is and what music you play! :)

Edited by dannybuoy

I have been using using a Roland DB 700 combo for 10 years for these types of gigs, with PA support, or not. I think if you have a sensible drummer, who is trying not to be the second coming of John Bonham, you should be ok. The Roland is not lightweight, and , if that is a concern, GK makes some nice lightweight combos in that range.

I've just bought the Fender Rumble 350, I've yet to use it in anger but if it's not loud enough then something's wrong somewhere :). It's a 2x10, not particularly light, just a straight forward sort of thing that makes a nice sound.

EDIT: sorry forget, they're now about £400. They've not been around long really so unfortunately not many 2nd hand ones.

Edited by Marvin

Thanks, I think both the roland and the fender would be out of my price range.
Anyone got an opinion on the Ashdown MAG C115-300-EVO 2 Bass Combo?
Or the Behringer BXL3000 Ultrabass Bass Amp?
Any ideas why the behringer is £100 cheaper, are they £100 inferior?

They have a behringer combo at a jam I go to it's terrible! Can't cut through even at low volumes. I have had a better bass sound from the cheaper Ashdown combos than my old top of the range early uk built Evo series one! I'm not a massive fan of the ashdown tone anymore but for the budget it will do a good job for the situation the OP describes, it's easy to say they sound crap compared to something like what many of us have but they cost ten times the budget! So for a change I'm saying ashdown big as you can get combo.

The line 6 Lowdown LD150 is one to look at. Its a 150w 1x12 and it has no problems keeping up with my punk band without PA support. I don't know if they are over your budget or not (My guitarist got it for £280 new a fey years ago) but its definately one to look at. The effects are pretty useable too, if you desire them, except the synth.

Liam

[quote name='Looper' post='1093968' date='Jan 18 2011, 03:42 PM']Any thoughts on the Laney rb8 combo?
If not it looks like the ashdown will be the way to go.
Thanks all.[/quote]

I have the Laney r3h seperate head (I presume basically the same beast?) as a backup for weddings and it works but it [i]stays in the van[/i], Poor thing :)