Why become a member? ×

Please Help, Need Some Advice :p

senshis

I can get one of these musima basses really cheap(around 75 pounds):
[url="http://picturepush.com/public/4874222"]http://picturepush.com/public/4874222[/url]

but they look pretty worn to me, i wonder if the hardware isn't rusted etc.
Another person has offered me a jolana galaxis bass ridiculously cheap and he says it plays good and there's nothing wrong with it, even though it's pretty old (only around 50 pounds)

or should i buy a new budget bass like some encore,cort,vintage or hohner bass? or maybe i should be saving money for like a squire or something? :)

THANK YOU! :)

My opinion is to save up and get a Squier. Better quality - I haven't heard many bad things said about the newest Squier output (Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe ranges).

The trouble with buying a cheap, old bass is that cheap old basses in the past were (on average) a lot cheaper/nastier than the cheap basses of today. It might be a diamond in the rough, but there's a good chance it'll just be rough.

For your first bass, you want something which is easy to play/look after/use, otherwise you'll be put off trying to work around all the problems.

I think there's some logic in this..Squires and Mexican/Japanese Fenders have quite a following - there must be some a good reason for it. Also there's also a good chance that you will recover much of your outlay when you sell on a £100 instrument. Lots of them available through eBay and Gumtree.

Another option might be a Warwick Rockbass which go for rediculously low prices considering what you get for your money. This would be my choice..

+1 to the above. I have two Squiers, a vintage modified jazz and a 50th anniversary precision. Both are extremely well put together and you won't find a bad word about them on here. You will however find a fair few for sale at good prices by fellow bass players who are not looking to fleece anyone. I have bought and sold several basses and amps on here people are very good to deal with.

Good luck with finding your first bass.

LC

[quote name='senshis' post='1091180' date='Jan 16 2011, 11:01 AM']I can get one of these musima basses really cheap(around 75 pounds):
[url="http://picturepush.com/public/4874222"]http://picturepush.com/public/4874222[/url]

but they look pretty worn to me, i wonder if the hardware isn't rusted etc.
Another person has offered me a jolana galaxis bass ridiculously cheap and he says it plays good and there's nothing wrong with it, even though it's pretty old (only around 50 pounds)

or should i buy a new budget bass like some encore,cort,vintage or hohner bass? or maybe i should be saving money for like a squire or something? :)

THANK YOU! :)[/quote]

If you find a Westfield, used, go for it.
They seem to be pretty good. Personally I have experience with two and both are really good.
One of my main basses is a Westfield B4000 (Fender Jazz copy) and I paid £50 for it including delivery on eBay (used).

But I'd stay away from the ones in the picture.

Even the Squier Affinity range are very good for the money (less than £200 new) as a starter instrument. Bear in mind that although they are quality basses, the CV & VM Squiers are now £300ish. That said, either the CV or VM are good enough to remain as "keepers".

This may be worth a look:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=115787"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=115787[/url]

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1091245' date='Jan 16 2011, 12:02 PM']Save up for something decent. A Yamaha RBX170 is hard to beat for under two hundred quid.[/quote]

A quick search on e bay and there is one on there for £50 starting and a buy it now fpr £90 thats the way i would go i think as a budget starter pack you see around with very cheep componants are about this price and i know which i waould go for!

I'll second the Westfield, I recently tried one along side a Squier. The Squier was a P bass with jazz bridge pickup (not sure what model) the set up wasn't great and while the output was powerful the tone was muddy.
The Westfield played beautifuly straight out of the box and the tone was superd, you could get all the fat P bass gorgeousness , turn upo the trebble and it had a prety descent slap sound, nice clear well rounded tone.
That one was (I think £99 new!)

The advantage of any squier including the affinity range is the fact you can upgrade easily and cheaply as money and ability increase, most other stuff you will find will need some degree of modification to fit. Squier of some sort for me, the P in my sig below was £80 off ebay with no problems for a beginner to worry about.

Those musema things would be over priced even if free. they'd fit in here: [url="http://www.junkguitars.com/"]http://www.junkguitars.com/[/url]
If they were a car they'd be a Reliant Robin with chickens nesting in it or a Trebant.
They've got a certain junk shop chic , but if you want a descent reliable bass look elsewhere (but not junkguitars.com)
a google search throws up lots of hits from a site called cheasey guitars.com, apparently they were East German, probably made from Bacolite to meet production quotas.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

Go Squier. Better built, better fit and finish, more easily upgradeable, better resale value if you choose to upgrade to a better bass (or quit :) ). I'd go for a Vintage Modified Jazz - fantastic bass for the money. You sometimes see them come up for sale on here secondhand for £150-200, but they're only £300 or so new.

Seems Squier is almost a unanimous choice!

Musima is in the collage of that junkguitars site near the bottom already! (musima,musema same thing im guessing?) That has given me gas for all the junk guitars now although I had a cull last year to free up space from Kay's and auditions and crap like it.

The Westfields do get some praise and Im sure if you get one mcnash could work his magic on it (east pre no doubt too :)) but you have more chance of getting a duff Westfield than a duff Squier from the ones I have tried in the local guitard shops round here. If money is tight then get a £80-100 secondhand affinity one off ebay for now and let santa bring you a CV or VM for chritsmas if you have kept up the playing. You wont outplay the affinity series in less than a year and you will end up with a good bass for taking to mates houses or leaving in a practice room etc and keep the best at home or with you all the time. Also by then you might of found gas for a different style of bass alltogether.

Another vote for a Yamaha. You can easily get an RBX170 for under £100 and they are very 'friendly' basses for a beginner. You won't lose any resale value if you get a good-priced s/h RBX170. The 374s with the big fat pickups are also brilliant budget basses IMO that punch well above their weight sound- and playability-wise given the low s/h prices they go for.
Bear in mind that the price of the Squier CV series people are so keen on puts them up in the bracket of the Yamaha BB414, rather than RBX range. Ibanez also make similarly beginner-friendly instruments. I moved Yam-Ibby-Fender and am very glad I started on the Yamaha.