Why become a member? ×

Best pickups for graphite neck?

Smash

[quote name='clauster' post='1088584' date='Jan 13 2011, 08:57 PM']A good while ago, someone (Crazykiwi?) recommended Bartolinis for a graphite necked bass I think.[/quote]
Yes I did hear good things about these and maybe Wizard 84s hmmmm decisions

[quote name='clauster' post='1088584' date='Jan 13 2011, 08:57 PM']A good while ago, someone (Crazykiwi?) recommended Bartolinis for a graphite necked bass I think.[/quote]
Yep, had a soapbar in a modulus fretless and it took the edge off the sizzle. Wouldn't otherwise normally recommend them - too woolly. Also consider an SWR head with it if you like clean (but not hi-fi) scooped jazz bass sounds.

I'd go with Bartolinis - got them in both my graphite necked Zons & they sound superb (well, to me they do).

If you want a darker sound maybe active pickups isn't the way to go - a good passive Jazz set might be more suitable.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' post='1089176' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:02 PM']If you want a darker sound maybe active pickups isn't the way to go - a good passive Jazz set might be more suitable.[/quote]
That would probably be the approach I'd take although if I got the pickups wrong, it could be a potentially expensive road to follow if trialling others.

i had some EMG JV jazz pickups (the ones with the polepieces) very warm sound with a pronounced midrange, i believe modulus used them for their jazz basses, not sure if his has the EMG,S but bubinga 5 has one, and i think nordstrand do a darker sounding jazz pickup

Cheers for the response, I am starting to think a Pre Amp in the Bass such as Audere / East / ACG may be the best option, I use distortions a lot but never found graphite and distortions to match well so may keep this bass clean. Nothing like a clean sounding Jazz Status bass and with the Pre it may be a better option.