Why become a member? ×

Expanding ona Roland Cube-100

grayn

I recently got a Roland Cube-100. Basically becasue I really liked it's sound and for a small 1X12 combo, it's pretty loud and deep.

Obviously it'll struggle in louder situations. Initially I thought of getting a 4 ohm ext cab (1X15 or 2X10). As the speaker output says "maximum 8 ohms".

Then I though, for that money I could just get another Cube-100. Then having 2X12 and 200 watts.
Does this make sense, or should I just get a much larger combo, when required?
:)

[quote name='grayn' post='1086654' date='Jan 12 2011, 01:31 PM']I recently got a Roland Cube-100. Basically becasue I really liked it's sound and for a small 1X12 combo, it's pretty loud and deep.

Obviously it'll struggle in louder situations. Initially I thought of getting a 4 ohm ext cab (1X15 or 2X10). As the speaker output says "maximum 8 ohms".

Then I though, for that money I could just get another Cube-100. Then having 2X12 and 200 watts.
:)[/quote]

Looking at the instruction manual it gives the impression that the Spkr Out socket has another 100W amp sat behind it... not sure if that's the case or not though as the manual has a very 'loosly translated' feel about it...

Manual is [url="http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/CB-100_OM.pdf"]here[/url].

[quote name='icastle' post='1086679' date='Jan 12 2011, 01:44 PM']Looking at the instruction manual it gives the impression that the Spkr Out socket has another 100W amp sat behind it... not sure if that's the case or not though as the manual has a very 'loosly translated' feel about it...

Manual is [url="http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/CB-100_OM.pdf"]here[/url].[/quote]

It seems seems to me that that "100W max" reference is to what the amp will put out when the ext cab is connected. This value is the result of the internal speaker plus ext cab working together. It could be stated in a clearer way by Roland though. Seems to me that the amp itself is putting out about 60W with it's internal driver and a extension cab could be a better and lighter solution to get 100W of sound. Adding a second cube wil give a bit more power (120W) but also more weight!

[quote name='grayn' post='1086654' date='Jan 12 2011, 01:31 PM']Then I though, for that money I could just get another Cube-100. Then having 2X12 and 200 watts.
:)[/quote]

How would you link the two combos together? Line out from one into the input of the second one? A Y-splitter to run the signal from your bass into the inputs of the two combos separately? :)

I used to have one of these and my impression was that it is 2 x 50 watts into one speaker and splits it 50w/50w into two speakers . . . if you see what I mean.

I built an 8ohm extension cab for mine and when using both speakers it was "fuller" but not much louder.

Nice amp but heavy for what it is and I eventually went down the route of "separates".

There's quite a few threads about it on TalkBass btw.

[quote name='Conan' post='1086778' date='Jan 12 2011, 04:08 PM']How would you link the two combos together? Line out from one into the input of the second one? A Y-splitter to run the signal from your bass into the inputs of the two combos separately? :)[/quote]

I'd planned the: Line out from one into the input of the second one. :)

[quote name='guylewis' post='1086784' date='Jan 12 2011, 04:14 PM']I used to have one of these and my impression was that it is 2 x 50 watts into one speaker and splits it 50w/50w into two speakers . . . if you see what I mean.

I built an 8ohm extension cab for mine and when using both speakers it was "fuller" but not much louder.

Nice amp but heavy for what it is and I eventually went down the route of "separates".

There's quite a few threads about it on TalkBass btw.[/quote]

If I got an ext cab, I'd get a 4 ohm, which should beef up the volume, more than an 8 ohm, I think.

The Cube-100 is only 17Kg. I wouldn't call that heavy.

Mind you, I am surprised at how light stuff like Mark Bass is.

Separates may be an alternative, I should look into.

Cheers :)

[quote name='grayn' post='1086998' date='Jan 12 2011, 06:23 PM']If I got an ext cab, I'd get a 4 ohm, which should beef up the volume, more than an 8 ohm, I think.

The Cube-100 is only 17Kg. I wouldn't call that heavy.

Mind you, I am surprised at how light stuff like Mark Bass is.

Separates may be an alternative, I should look into.

Cheers :)[/quote]
Adding a 4 ohm ext cab should successfully fry it, leaving you free to do the done thing & buy a decent combo :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1087020' date='Jan 12 2011, 07:41 PM']Adding a 4 ohm ext cab should successfully fry it, leaving you free to do the done thing & buy a decent combo :)[/quote]

As the amp output says, MAXIMUM 8 ohms, I can't see why it should fry, with 4.

I guess you were attempting humour but this is a decent, small combo.

[quote name='grayn' post='1087052' date='Jan 12 2011, 08:00 PM']As the amp output says, MAXIMUM 8 ohms, I can't see why it should fry, with 4.

I guess you were attempting humour but this is a decent, small combo.[/quote]

From the manual:

Impedance: 8 ohms maximum
Allowable power input: 100 watts minimum

Looks like they mixed up the max and min

[quote name='grayn' post='1087052' date='Jan 12 2011, 07:00 PM']As the amp output says, MAXIMUM 8 ohms, I can't see why it should fry, with 4.

It's a very badly translated manual.
I reckon that 'maximum' should read 'minimum'.
Nobody worries about maximum impedance - it's minimum impedance that'll fry your amp...
If you're going to add an extension speaker then you are looking for a 100W 8Ω cab.

If you start hanging 4Ω cabs off of it then you will definately be in the market for a new amp!

Edited by icastle

[quote name='grayn' post='1087052' date='Jan 12 2011, 07:00 PM']As the amp output says, MAXIMUM 8 ohms, I can't see why it should fry, with 4.

Sorry buddy, it was my attempt at humour in regards to the combo being decent. Roland make crackin combos.

I was being serious about using a 4 ohm cab as the max load all in for your combo would be 4 ohms & run at 8 ohms without an ext cab. Adding an 8 ohm ext cab would make your amp run at 4 ohms, adding a 4 ohm cab would make the load 2.66 ohms thus causing the amp to overheat (ohms kinda work the opposite from what you would think on first approach). Have a look at the stickies in the top section of "amps & cabs", I'm sure there's a full explanation of how it all works. :)

Thanks guys.

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to keep the Roland for practice, and small sessions and get a larger rig for when it is needed.

I really like the Roland and it's tone but there's only so much you can get from a small combo, like this.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1087685' date='Jan 13 2011, 11:37 AM']Have a try on the Roland D Bass combos & see if it's a similar tone. They can be gotten fairly cheap nowadays.[/quote]

Cheers.

Looks a nice combo, though no one seems to stock them.

It reminds me, a little, of the Fender Bassman 250 210, I used to have. That was a very decent combo, with a sound that really walloped you. Very loud, for a 2X10 combo. It could keep up with some loud backlines. :)

[quote name='King Tut' post='1088677' date='Jan 13 2011, 10:12 PM']I think the correct impedance ext speaker to use depends on whether the output is wired in series or parallel - I've got a feeling that these are wired like the nemesis combos - which would make it OK to use with a 4 ohm cab. Can't be sure though.[/quote]

There would be no need for the warning of 'Maximum 8Ω Speaker' if the outputs were wired in series...

Oh, looks like they've stopped making them. I nearly bought one before I got the MB combo.
They come up on here from time to time 2nd hand for @ £350-400. Tho there's a good selection of combos (or amp/cab set ups) in this price range to try out.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1088754' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:38 AM']Oh, looks like they've stopped making them. I nearly bought one before I got the MB combo.
They come up on here from time to time 2nd hand for @ £350-400. Tho there's a good selection of combos (or amp/cab set ups) in this price range to try out.[/quote]

i can strongly recomend a D Bass combo,i sold my Ampeg SVT rig (got sick of lugging it around) & bought a D bass 210 & love it to bits,it's light weight,sounds awesome & is fooking loud too.

if you can find one snap it up,i was lucky & got mine new but shop soiled for £499.00 from Rocking Rooster,all it needed was some attention from a duster.
i would not sell it ever.

Yep, I can recommend the D-Bass, too. Really only available second-hand these days, but they seem not to be too fashionable, which means they can be had for a bargain - I paid £300 for my D-Bass and £250 for the 115X. There's a pair on Ebay at the mo. Very, very loud in combination (660w) and pretty portable, too (about 50lbs each and they've got wheels). Plus, they stack, too: essential for intimidating guitards...

Edited by Muzz

I'll keep an eye out for the D bass combo but may still splash out on a Mark Bass combo. No rush, for now.

I was thinking, it's a shame you can't get powered bass cabs. Use your little combo for getting tone etc and have a cab with say a 200watt power amp, when more oomph id needed.

Erm, the D-Bass 115x IS a powered speaker - 330w, 15" and tweeter. Could be the ticket...and they're even less fashionable than the main combo, so if you see one for sale on its own, you could be quids in...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1089609' date='Jan 14 2011, 06:03 PM']Maybe a load over 16ohm will be too much for it and it'll sound too weak![/quote]

I think you've got your ohms calculations mixed up, adding an 8 ohm cab to an 8 ohm combo makes a 4 ohm load (it's not 8 + 8 = 16). :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1089667' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:47 PM']Erm, the D-Bass 115x IS a powered speaker - 330w, 15" and tweeter. Could be the ticket...and they're even less fashionable than the main combo, so if you see one for sale on its own, you could be quids in...[/quote]

Sweet! Now that sounds ideal :)