Why become a member? ×

Bass Merchant

ras52

Hi,

I'm down in the SE corner of Greater London and am in search of that special dangerous place for my wallet to visit. I see that Bass Direct gets a lot of love here but is a bit far to go unless it's for something [i]very[/i] special. Bass Merchant however is - traffic permitting - a more doable 1.5 hours away. A visit would still be a serious venture, but potentially worthwhile.

What I'm looking for is somewhere with a wide range of instruments in the £500-1000 range (and maybe higher to tempt me). Bass Merchant's website suggests it fits the bill... am I right?

From what I`ve read on various posts on here, it would seem well worth the trip.

I am in fact thinking of taking the trip there myself (1hr plus) just to have a look around (and hope I don`t buy anything whilst there - the cursed GAS).

[quote name='Raggy' post='1083956' date='Jan 10 2011, 09:59 AM']I sent a couple of emails enquiries year, but no response.[/quote]

I'll be honest, all the music shops I know that are great on the CS in person and on the phone are usually awful on the email. I've no problem there. If I'm buying new or local, they are my 1st choice. They know their stuff and leave to fine what YOU want. Good bass servicing there also

I love going up to Bass Merchant, originally im from colchester, so it gives me and excuse to see family and whatnot. Staff are great, and the products stocked are always fantastic! For general musical interest, its also worth going to Music Warehouse is town, but dont buy anything as they have a tendancy to rip people off bigtime!

Edited by TheRockinRoadie

[quote name='Raggy' post='1083956' date='Jan 10 2011, 09:59 AM']I sent a couple of emails enquiries year, but no response.[/quote]

I have a feeling they get a massive amount of emails as sometimes it takes a day or so to get a response. Usually I get a response within a few hours :) Definitely give them a call because their prices are fantastic.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1083941' date='Jan 10 2011, 09:34 AM']Definitely worth the trip. Nice shop, excellent selection of gear, cups of tea/coffee/hot chocolate, and great service. On top of that the prices are also great.

Enjoy![/quote]
You got me at hot chocolate... if they have nice basses that's a bonus. :-)

I would call them though. Just to see that what they advertise they still have.

Not a pop at this shop, I'd do this to all shops I was travelling a distance to.
Very good to talk to on the phone.. and I agree a lot of shops are, GAK, BassD etc etc ..

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1083597' date='Jan 9 2011, 09:01 PM']I'd recommend the Bass merchant certainly. Nice guys, great basses and a free coffee :)

Enjoy.

Oh and I've a Sandberg PM5 I need to add to my sig. Guess where that came from :)

Peter[/quote]

Peter, I can't believe you have an ACG and a Status Empathy bass. You have great taste in basses!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1088903' date='Jan 14 2011, 08:13 AM']I have no luck with BM - every time I ring to buy something, they never have what they advertise in stock :) That said, I have bought some stuff off them and always get good service. I'd like to visit their shop.[/quote]

If you ever go down there Alan give me a shout. It's homers for me and if you like great fish and chips I can be your guide :)

Peter

[quote name='Phantomnin' post='1088870' date='Jan 14 2011, 06:03 AM']The Bass Merchant is brilliant. I've bought stuff there and they are always happy to let you try stuff out, and they don't stand over you either.

It has a really interesting selection of basses. Hugely recomended.[/quote]
And that for me is the mark of good service IMHO. I hate it when I go into a music shop and the sales assistant is hovering like a fly to make sure you don't mess up their wonderful display.

I went to Bass Merchant back in November to look at a Cort and got to spend about an hour in there just trying the bass though my head into a one of several cabs (an Ampeg 8x10, a Gemz Neox 2x12 and something else - name escapes me for the moment). Darren and Chris were exceptionally friendly and really just left me alone - so much so, that when I've scraped the cash together later this year, I'm going back.

HTH, Ian

PS if you're up for a trip soon, I can always be persuaded to join in :) Mmmmm.... Stingrays

[quote name='Bottle' post='1089323' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:39 PM']And that for me is the mark of good service IMHO. I hate it when I go into a music shop and the sales assistant is hovering like a fly to make sure you don't mess up their wonderful display.

I went to Bass Merchant back in November to look at a Cort and got to spend about an hour in there just trying the bass though my head into a one of several cabs (an Ampeg 8x10, a Gemz Neox 2x12 and something else - name escapes me for the moment). Darren and Chris were exceptionally friendly and really just left me alone - so much so, that when I've scraped the cash together later this year, I'm going back.

HTH, Ian

PS if you're up for a trip soon, I can always be persuaded to join in :) Mmmmm.... Stingrays[/quote]

This exactly. You dont get any 'these are the best blah blah' in the world. They just let you make your own decisions or show you what is popular eg the Aguilar DB 12 cabs.

They seem to have a good balance of popular items, beginner items, boutique items, and lovely high end rare items.

I tried the RH450 expecting not to like it....I was totally wrong. Love it.

I think Darren is the most patient chap ive ever had the pleasure of doing business with. Hence, I go back.

Edited by Musicman20

Hi,

Would add my agreement to all the above. Great shop, not on the high street so not full of widdlers and I have spent many an hour trying stuff out. Only downside, more often than not have to explain to Missus why I NEED.........

Eggy

[quote name='Eggy' post='1089349' date='Jan 14 2011, 02:04 PM']Only downside, more often than not have to explain to Missus why I NEED.........[/quote]
You might like to read this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118516"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118516[/url]

[quote name='jonunders' post='1089387' date='Jan 14 2011, 02:42 PM']+1 to all of the positive comments above. Brought my amp from them, very helpful and friendly but not pushy. Would definitely recommend a visit.
Jon[/quote]
Yep, it's where I got my GK, 18 months ago now (and still great)

• 1 month later...

More praise for The Bass Merchant.

Spent about 10/15 mins on the phone on Monday with Chris discussing two cabs, a TC Electronic BC410, and an Eden Nemesis N410RS. After the discussuion about performance/specs etc, , plus Chris`s opinion, having heard both, I decided on the Nemesis, and on Mon eve ordered a 4 ohm version on-line.

Anyway, I had a bit of a re-think, as my head is 450 watts into 4 ohms, and may want another cab as well at a later date, plus the db sensitivity of the 410 is 104, so the 8 ohm hopefully should be ok, as well as giving me more options. Phoned late Tuesday afternoon to change the order. No problem at all.

Wednesday morning it turns up.

Superb service, and having spent an hour and a half playing through the cab, money well spent.