Why become a member? ×

70's Fenders

Musky

[quote name='Sibob' post='13474' date='Jun 7 2007, 10:07 AM']Indeed, but i played another '72 priced at £1700, and it was gash. So what do you do!?
And that '66 i played was priced at like £3650 or something....horrible bass![/quote]

Caveat emptor, I'd imagine - know what you're buying. Fenders are remarkably easy to counterfeit because of their simple construction too. Artificial aging techniques include aging pickups with high intensity UV radiation, leaving parts out in hot/cold weather extremes, inducing corrosion etc. I'm not trying to diss those who have bought themselves a nice old fender at all, but its a bit of a minefield from what I can see.

When I started playing the shop I used did not have a bass player on the staff so I used to try everything out for them, even using basses for gigs. This was late 70's/Early 80's. I have to say that the fenders were universally pants and a lot of the musicman basses were nearly as bad (this was after Leo sold it to do G&L). The best basses in the shop were Ibanez (think Musician) by a country mile - thats why I bought them.

They even had a Wal Pro II with a bent neck!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='13480' date='Jun 7 2007, 11:22 AM']Sunburst? Ah.. can't help you there. Sorry! :huh:

It's to balance out my collection. I don't like odd numbers. :huh:[/quote]

*gulp* :)

*drool* :huh:

WOT - Wow. Of all those bass collections I´ve seen on Talkbass, Basschat, Bass-whatever-mania, yours is the most desirable - for me, anyway. Pure class.

BTW, the studio where I´m rehearsing has a ´76 P that is absolutely fantastic. Very light and THAT sound. I have to ask if they are willing to sell it - it´s been refinished (rather crudely), so I might get a decent price...

[quote]It's worth bearing in mind that one of the most sought-after vintage Fender basses exists entirely due to CBS' intervention.... the 66-ish Jazz with dots, binding and oval tuners.[/quote]

A few American collector guys I know say that the 66 Js are among the best and most consistent basses Fender made.

I have a pseudo 66 Jazz that has a dots, binding and oval tuners 3/66 (month I was born!) neck with lots of other 66 parts (bridge, pots, screws etc..) but the body is a modern Bravewood relic repro, voodoo vintage pickups, repro scratchplate and finger rest.

I bought the whole thing for somewhat less than £2k and have since been offered [i]more[/i] than that for the neck alone!

Good and bad basses exist at all stages of Fender's history; as has already been said, the key is to [i]play[/i] them!

Cheers

Gareth

Like Paul Cooke, I'm class of '75 (well, '74 if we're being picky). It's undeniable that the one benefit you (sometimes) get from being older is a higher disposable income, and I'm a bit like a "born-again biker", re-visiting stuff that I stopped doing a long time ago. I couldn't get back into bikes because I never stopped riding them ( :) ) so basses was the next best thing.

My point is that buying/collecting basses requires nothing more complicated than money, backed up by some knowledge of the subject. Playing them requires talent and practice and dedication, while being able to tell a good '75 P-bass from a bad '75 P-bass requires something of an entirely higher order.

Prices for '70s P-basses have gone through the roof because there's a lot more money coming into the market (think of those guys in the City who get £1m bonuses [i]every year[/i]) and most that money is coming from guys like me, who play a bit of bass in the garage, don't really know what they're doing but they're having fun, and ... well, you get the idea.

Incidentally, I have zero interest in Fenders - I collect Hofners (they're cheaper and IMHO more interesting). And no, I don't get £1m bonuses. :huh: