Why become a member? ×

Fender Stu Hamm Urge 2

Jesso

Howdy.

This is not getting the use it deserves, so I'm hoping I can find it a new home.

Made in America, this bass is a kind of a souped up pumped up hybrid of a Jazz and a P.
It's fast, light, and very versatile.
It has both P and Jazz pickups, which can be blended the any way you like. This is a bit of a swiss army knife of a bass. It can be a P one second and a J the next.
It also has a very powerful active EQ.

Alder body with a two octive maple/rosewood bolt on neck. Drop D tuner. The bass is 34" scale.
Comes with original tweed case.

It plays very well, low action.... It feels tight, and it's brilliant for slapping and popping.

If your in the market for a fender bass, but fancy something a bit different, then this could be what your looking for.
Condition is good, but it has a fair number of dings. No major chips, but you can certainly tell it's been played a lot over the past 3 years.
Untill recently it was my main gigging bass, which means 2 - 3 gigs a week, as well as rehearsals once or twice a week.... so it's condition reflects this. I tried to baby it, but accidents happen, and there's always a drunk punter around to knock your guitar off it's stand during the halftime break!
There is a bit of buckle rash, and there is a gash out of the side of the fret board around the 14th fret. Not noticable when playing.
Also, the original volume knob fell off at some point, so it was replaced with a metal jobby.

(More photos to come later today) The condition can (will) be seen clearly in the photos.

I bought it in 2008 for almost 2 grand.
I'm only asking €900 plus postage.... bargain!

It's very pretty in the flesh, and your welcome to come over and play it if your seriously interested to see if it's for you. (I live in Dublin though I should say).

Here's a link to a review....

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/fender/stu_hamm_urge_ii_bass/index.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bas...bass/index.html[/url]

And if you need to hear how good these sound listen to 'Outbound' by Stuart Hamm or "Astral Traveler" by the Gambale Hamm Smith trio! The latter is probably my favourite fusion tune of all time and features a jaw dropping bass solo near the end! It's also very hummable!

if I didn't have a Kubicki I'd be after one of these, being a big Stu Hamm fan!

[quote name='lee650' post='1083074' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:37 PM']This still here then very surprised, its a corker!![/quote]

Thats the state of the current market for you.... would'v thought it was a very good price too. 900 euros is only 747 of your earth pounds.

[quote name='Jesso' post='1082551' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:37 PM']Howdy.

This is not getting the use it deserves, so I'm hoping I can find it a new home.

Made in America, this bass is a kind of a souped up pumped up hybrid of a Jazz and a P.
It's fast, light, and very versatile.
It has both P and Jazz pickups, which can be blended the any way you like. This is a bit of a swiss army knife of a bass. It can be a P one second and a J the next.
It also has a very powerful active EQ.

Alder body with a two octive maple/rosewood bolt on neck. Drop D tuner. The bass is 34" scale.
Comes with original tweed case.

It plays very well, low action.... It feels tight, and it's brilliant for slapping and popping.

If your in the market for a fender bass, but fancy something a bit different, then this could be what your looking for.
Condition is good, but it has a fair number of dings. No major chips, but you can certainly tell it's been played a lot over the past 3 years.
Untill recently it was my main gigging bass, which means 2 - 3 gigs a week, as well as rehearsals once or twice a week.... so it's condition reflects this. I tried to baby it, but accidents happen, and there's always a drunk punter around to knock your guitar off it's stand during the halftime break!
There is a bit of buckle rash, and there is a gash out of the side of the fret board around the 14th fret. Not noticable when playing.
Also, the original volume knob fell off at some point, so it was replaced with a metal jobby.

(More photos to come later today) The condition can (will) be seen clearly in the photos.

I bought it in 2008 for almost 2 grand.
I'm only asking €900 plus postage.... bargain!

It's very pretty in the flesh, and your welcome to come over and play it if your seriously interested to see if it's for you. (I live in Dublin though I should say).

Here's a link to a review....

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/fender/stu_hamm_urge_ii_bass/index.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bas...bass/index.html[/url]

[/quote]
hi there do u play anywhere close to derry/donegal as i am based in derry to get a look at the bass,. cheers paul

Jeez, thats lovely jesso and a bargain.

Unfortunately, my financial situation has deteriorated lately and I'm in no position to buy. I've actually been selling gear which I hate.

A great pity since I'm only up the M1 from you. :)

Good luck selling. I don't think this will sit for long.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1083792' date='Jan 10 2011, 12:09 AM']Jeez, thats lovely jesso and a bargain.

Unfortunately, my financial situation has deteriorated lately and I'm in no position to buy. I've actually been selling gear which I hate.

A great pity since I'm only up the M1 from you. :)

Good luck selling. I don't think this will sit for long.

Frank.[/quote]

Thanks Frank. I don't mind keeping it, cos it's a calss act, but I've just got too many basses so I have to at least make the effort to sell something!

[quote name='Jesso' post='1084078' date='Jan 10 2011, 11:53 AM']Thanks Frank. I don't mind keeping it, cos it's a calss act, but I've just got too many basses so I have to at least make the effort to sell something![/quote]

two grand is a bit much..are you
sure you paid that much?

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082652' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:22 PM']And if you need to hear how good these sound listen to 'Outbound' by Stuart Hamm or "Astral Traveler" by the Gambale Hamm Smith trio! The latter is probably my favourite fusion tune of all time and features a jaw dropping bass solo near the end! It's also very hummable!

if I didn't have a Kubicki I'd be after one of these, being a big Stu Hamm fan![/quote]

Kick ass tune! Nice sounding bass too...good luck with the sale.

[quote]two grand is a bit much..are you
sure you paid that much?[/quote]

To be more accurate... It was €1900 (Euros not pounds!) when I bought it new in Dublin. I was young and naive.... and though that paying full whack for a new bass was a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1088595' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:08 PM']On the back of the headstock; is that some kind of sustain block or 'fathead' style weight to eliminate deadspots?[/quote]

Ha! Naw that thing on the back of the headstock is a a pick holder! (with no picks in it!) My friend designed it.... he applied to get it patented but I think there was something already on the market that was too similar.

[quote name='cocco' post='1104452' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:59 PM']Why oh Why is this still here??[/quote]

I dunno....
I mean, it's got a few dings, that's true.... but the main damage to the fretboard is on the underside and is almost totally un-noticable. I don't even know when/how it happened, cos I don't think I even noticed it for a while.
I've been meaning to get it up on the ebay, but haven't gotten around to it. I actually will now include postage in the price of €900... which means I'm selling this bass for a touch over €800..... which is only about £700.
I must be mad, but I don't like keeping stuff I don't play around the place.

[quote name='Jesso' post='1104855' date='Jan 27 2011, 11:17 AM']I dunno....
I mean, it's got a few dings, that's true.... but the main damage to the fretboard is on the underside and is almost totally un-noticable. I don't even know when/how it happened, cos I don't think I even noticed it for a while.
I've been meaning to get it up on the ebay, but haven't gotten around to it. I actually will now include postage in the price of €900... which means I'm selling this bass for a touch over €800..... which is only about £700.
I must be mad, but I don't like keeping stuff I don't play around the place.[/quote]

I've always wanted one of these, they seem the obvious solution to the "which Fender should I choose" problem that afflicts so many of us (well, me and Clarky anyway). I've also no doubt that the bass in question will, like so many other Fenders, experience a dramatic renaissance at some point in the future and become both extremely popular and highly collectable.

Jesso mate, unless you really need the cash, keep it.

Good luck either way

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1104871' date='Jan 27 2011, 11:32 AM']I've always wanted one of these, they seem the obvious solution to the "which Fender should I choose" problem that afflicts so many of us (well, me and Clarky anyway). I've also no doubt that the bass in question will, like so many other Fenders, experience a dramatic renaissance at some point in the future and become both extremely popular and highly collectable.

Jesso mate, unless you really need the cash, keep it.

Good luck either way

C[/quote]

Your probably right. I might have a better time of selling it in a few years.... if I still want to sell that is.
Good advice.

I've always been really curious to hear what a jazz pickup sounds like when it's so close to the neck, and when its used as a humbucker with the bridge one. Someone once told me that it'd probably have scooped mids but I don't know... How does the sound of the J's on these compare to the 'thump' of the P?

[quote name='untune' post='1105070' date='Jan 27 2011, 01:58 PM']I've always been really curious to hear what a jazz pickup sounds like when it's so close to the neck, and when its used as a humbucker with the bridge one. Someone once told me that it'd probably have scooped mids but I don't know... How does the sound of the J's on these compare to the 'thump' of the P?[/quote]

I don't actually own another jazz, I'm a "P" dude through and through.... so I couldn't say if it was more scooped or not because of it's position closer to the neck.
The J and P sounds are very very different as you would expect.
The jazz has plenty of bark to it, but it's more of a modern sound than any other Jazz basses I've played.
The P is, again, kind of like a modern take on a classic fender P bass.... If I was more into slapping and popping this bass would be the one to use. With a small touch of e.q. you can barely touch the strings and get plenty of sound out of it, if that makes sense..... like the sound wants to jump out of the strings.

The nicest sound from this bass is when you engage all four pickups, gives a really full expressive sound.
It doesn't really sound exactly like either a classic Jazz or a P, it sounds like something else.... which is not a negative in my opinion, most of us have J and P basses coming out of our ears!

Jesse