Why become a member? ×

Um Bongo Withdrawn Sold Sold

davydisco

I had (and sold) a Bongo 5 HHP (Piezo) Despite the debatable marmite looks, potentially these are great basses specially with the piezo option, they have some real heart shattering powerful neodymium pickups but their potential is dwarfed by the stubborness of EBMM for not making the pickup settings more elaborate, you have two great humbucker with only a blend knob which basically makes you pan only between either or both together. I would have loved to see split coils options in both series / parallel, outer coils option, inner coils combination, you've got all that artillery at disposal and only one silly pan pot that will only always let you use the full humbucker in either neck / bridge or both, such a waste, you'll soon get bored as I did specially with owning a 25th Anniversary and a Big All SSS which were like swiss army knives in comparison.

Do people ever use the coil splitting options though?

I have two RFB pickups in my ACG Harlot singlecut, which are the "Musicman" style design pickups from ACG. The bass also has coil splitting and phase switches (or something like that, two little flip switches that alter the tone). I never use these, as the bass sounds best with them left neutral!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1080144' date='Jan 6 2011, 05:18 PM']Do people ever use the coil splitting options though?

I have two RFB pickups in my ACG Harlot singlecut, which are the "Musicman" style design pickups from ACG. The bass also has coil splitting and phase switches (or something like that, two little flip switches that alter the tone). I never use these, as the bass sounds best with them left neutral![/quote]

BUMP please

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1080144' date='Jan 6 2011, 05:18 PM']Do people ever use the coil splitting options though?

I have two RFB pickups in my ACG Harlot singlecut, which are the "Musicman" style design pickups from ACG. The bass also has coil splitting and phase switches (or something like that, two little flip switches that alter the tone). I never use these, as the bass sounds best with them left neutral![/quote]

I use mine, 3 way switches I always have them set down I think on both... which everone is the more powerful as it just seems to have more 'kick' to it

[quote name='charic' post='1081238' date='Jan 7 2011, 04:02 PM']I use mine, 3 way switches I always have them set down I think on both... which everone is the more powerful as it just seems to have more 'kick' to it[/quote]

My bass seems to sound quieter with a more compressed tone when I flick them. Although the bass naturally has a mildly compressed sound already which is something that really suits it!

just imo but there's plenty of tonal variation in the 2 humbuckers and 4 band EQ and tbh I find the Bongo has too much on offer after playing my single H Stingray 5. The action on the 3 Bongos I've owned has always been lower than I can get on other basses making them slaptastic. The tone is just huge and much more hi-fi than of my other basses,and I couldn't be without it for recording .
My one is a sapphire black 5HH and every second Bongo seems to be that finish. I've changed my opinion in the last few months and like them more now in the brighter colours like this one.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='1081312' date='Jan 7 2011, 05:24 PM']just imo but there's plenty of tonal variation in the 2 humbuckers and 4 band EQ and tbh I find the Bongo has too much on offer after playing my single H Stingray 5. The action on the 3 Bongos I've owned has always been lower than I can get on other basses making them slaptastic. The tone is just huge and much more hi-fi than of my other basses,and I couldn't be without it for recording .
My one is a sapphire black 5HH and every second Bongo seems to be that finish. I've changed my opinion in the last few months and like them more now in the brighter colours like this one.[/quote]

if u get a bongo it has to be in a loud colour thats my opinion ive got the same opinion as yourself CHEERS MATE

[quote name='davydisco' post='1078162' date='Jan 5 2011, 02:27 AM']i hardly ever keep them for long come and have a look, dave will tell he only sold to buy his sax im happy daves sort of happy but he wouldnt have what he waned i mean to say it was on long enough anyone could have had but i mean to say £600 is still not peanuts.[/quote]

I still think a 150buck flip so quickly is a bit cheeky. However as its now your bass its yours to do with as you see fit.

Would it not be the done thing to sell it on at the price you bought it for seeing your re-selling it on the site you purchased it from only 6 days ago.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1082301' date='Jan 8 2011, 04:57 PM']I still think a 150buck flip so quickly is a bit cheeky. However as its now your bass its yours to do with as you see fit.

Would it not be the done thing to sell it on at the price you bought it for seeing your re-selling it on the site you purchased it from only 6 days ago.[/quote]

thanks for your comments but obviously i want to make a profit because its a cracking bass if i can get £750 its better than what i paid for it because the bass is worth it all day long cheers davy

I have to say I do find the idea of flipping it for £150 here so soon after buying it uncool. After all, Slaptone was selling it because he needed cash for a sax, he could have held out for more but he gave Dave a fantastic deal. Dave then saying that he's selling it because it's a cracking bass doesn't entirely wash here because if it's so fantastic, you'd want to keep it!

It's something that had been mentioned before here, about the morally dubious practice of flipping kit for a quick buck. When I bought my Alembic fretless here, I got it for £600. I sold it for the same, despite the fact I could have sold it for considerably more through the Gallery or Ebay or even here. When I was arranging the sale, I was happy to be able to sell it to a bloke who was really passionate about it and would really dig the bass. I had offers for more cash when I was arranging the sale with him, but I had a community spirited moment and looked back on the bargains I've had here previously.

We have a good pool of gear here and we can keep down prices between friends, so surely we can manage that?

Failing that, I might buy the Wal MIDI bass off here and advertise it for sale the next day with an extra £1000 on top of what I pay for it! After all, it's a cracking bass so you should accept having to pay more than I did for it 48 hrs previously! :)

[quote name='tom1946' post='1082506' date='Jan 8 2011, 07:45 PM']I'm looking for one quite seriously but I wouldn't buy this on principle, and I suspect not many others would.

Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

obviously i want to make a profit thats the name of the game so nobody should be put off if your interested its worth that and more thanks

[quote name='davydisco' post='1082527' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:12 PM']obviously i want to make a profit thats the name of the game so nobody should be put off if your interested its worth that and more thanks[/quote]

i cant believe your saying this go no further i got offered £750 for my bb4 but i promised a lad it for £650 so it works both ways as he got it for £650,it was advertised for anyone to buy so i saw the potential and bought it but everyone had the opportunity thanks

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1082542' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:25 PM']Your in the wrong forum if that's your view.[/quote]

i would sell it as its worth £750 all day long you missed a good bargain if i didnt make anything how will i progress its worth that money anyway and i dont understand your saying this do u not want me sell it at a profit

I thought we had a gentleman's agreement not to discuss money. You could equally argue that the original seller revealing how much he sold it for was a bit uncouth. Like anything else what you are prepared to sell something for depends on your personal circumstances at the time.

[quote name='davydisco' post='1082552' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:38 PM']i would sell it as its worth £750 all day long you missed a good bargain if i didnt make anything how will i progress its worth that money anyway and i dont understand your saying this do u not want me sell it at a profit[/quote]

First off, I didn't miss a good bargain. I have a bongo and I am not in the market for another.

Secondly, I'm sure the folk on basschat will agree that this kind of business attitude just stinks!!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1082567' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:52 PM']First off, I didn't miss a good bargain. I have a bongo and I am not in the market for another.

Secondly, I'm sure the folk on basschat will agree that this kind of business attitude just stinks!![/quote]

i cant believe your saying all this but youve got your opinion but a few quid more,ive just sold a bb4 for £650 when i was offered more but i said he could have it just ask alan if he got a good bargain thx

Dave, I don't think anyone is disputing that someone may have gotten an alright deal on a B-Quad (another one sold here for the same price a few months ago when the market was a bit better IIRC). I think it's the way that you're going about this profiteering you're doing here, and it does seem a tad distasteful especially since you got a very good deal from another forum user and a local lad who was in a bit of a jam.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082655' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:23 PM']Dave, I don't think anyone is disputing that someone may have gotten an alright deal on a B-Quad (another one sold here for the same price a few months ago when the market was a bit better IIRC). I think it's the way that you're going about this profiteering you're doing here, and it does seem a tad distasteful especially since you got a very good deal from another forum user and a local lad who was in a bit of a jam.[/quote]

so chris just say u bought a bass for £600 and someone offered u £750 would u accept it, now be honest mate,but even at £750 its still worth that or i wouldnt put it up for that now thats disrespectful if it wasnt worth the money but it is cheers anyway