Why become a member? ×

Um Bongo Withdrawn Sold Sold

davydisco

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1082683' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:41 PM']aye but nobody is offering you 750notes, you are touting for 750![/quote]

i wished i didnt put it on,ive been offered £800 from a shop and it looks like thats where it will end up,i always try to make a profit thats how it is its pointless breaking even i cant believe these conversations are over nothing thanks

[quote name='davydisco' post='1082677' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:37 PM']so chris just say u bought a bass for £600 and someone offered u £750 would u accept it, now be honest mate,but even at £750 its still worth that or i wouldnt put it up for that now thats disrespectful if it wasnt worth the money but it is cheers anyway[/quote]

Dave, when I was selling my Alembic I received an offer for £750 collected and my asking price was £600 (which I had paid for it about 5 months previously on the boards).

£750 is a good price for a Bongo but £600 is an outrageous price and you've been very fortunate; however Slaptone would have liked more as I doubt the £600 he got for it covered his outgoing expenses. As has been said, this is very much a community-centric forum here where sales are based on trust and mutual respect. I think it's generally considered good form amoung the majority of users to "pay forward" your good fortune here by not making a blatant attempt at flipping a bass for considerably more than you paid for it. As someone said in another thread, prices here are very cheap, generally well below Ebay and high street used prices. We've achieved this by selling our gear at reasonable prices on to other forum members.

There have been raised eyebrows in the past about people selling gear on for more than they paid for it, and given long term fluctuations in value this is probably seen as more acceptable than this quick flip. At the moment Dave, this looks like you've bought a bass with no interest in it as an instrument, just an investment for a quick profit. You and Slaptone live relatively close, south of the Tyne. It looks as though you've swooped in when you saw another forum user in need and now you're taking advantage of that by trying to turn a profit on a bass you're not interested in.

From the chats we've had both on the forum and via PM you seem like a decent bloke Dave, but don't be surprised that a few users here are finding this all a bit "bad taste".

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082700' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:54 PM']Dave, when I was selling my Alembic I received an offer for £750 collected and my asking price was £600 (which I had paid for it about 5 months previously on the boards).

£750 is a good price for a Bongo but £600 is an outrageous price and you've been very fortunate; however Slaptone would have liked more as I doubt the £600 he got for it covered his outgoing expenses. As has been said, this is very much a community-centric forum here where sales are based on trust and mutual respect. I think it's generally considered good form amoung the majority of users to "pay forward" your good fortune here by not making a blatant attempt at flipping a bass for considerably more than you paid for it. As someone said in another thread, prices here are very cheap, generally well below Ebay and high street used prices. We've achieved this by selling our gear at reasonable prices on to other forum members.

There have been raised eyebrows in the past about people selling gear on for more than they paid for it, and given long term fluctuations in value this is probably seen as more acceptable than this quick flip. At the moment Dave, this looks like you've bought a bass with no interest in it as an instrument, just an investment for a quick profit. You and Slaptone live relatively close, south of the Tyne. It looks as though you've swooped in when you saw another forum user in need and now you're taking advantage of that by trying to turn a profit on a bass you're not interested in.

From the chats we've had both on the forum and via PM you seem like a decent bloke Dave, but don't be surprised that a few users here are finding this all a bit "bad taste".[/quote]

its not my fault i got it cheaper than usual as dave wanted a sax it was on here for a long time for anyone to buy it they had the choice the same as me if i sell everything at the same price as i payed how would i better myself

davy lad you are going to piss in your chips here mate. we all get a bargain her and there but to to offer it up on the same forum for a much higher price is a plain piss take and as said is not in the free! forum vain of use. you will only eventually alienate yourself from the usual members as this isnt ebay with a massive throughput of customers. i think you know you have boobed mate. you should be here to better yourself as a bass player or collector not make money. that said £600 was a steal but at least bung it on the bay and not wave it in peoples faces. meant respectfully dave. ad

[quote name='adledman' post='1082771' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:51 PM']davy lad you are going to piss in your chips here mate. we all get a bargain her and there but to to offer it up on the same forum for a much higher price is a plain piss take and as said is not in the free! forum vain of use. you will only eventually alienate yourself from the usual members as this isnt ebay with a massive throughput of customers. i think you know you have boobed mate. you should be here to better yourself as a bass player or collector not make money. that said £600 was a steal but at least bung it on the bay and not wave it in peoples faces. meant respectfully dave. ad[/quote]

hi adam matey by forum rules ive done nothing wrong people dont have to buy it

[quote name='davydisco' post='1082785' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:59 PM']hi adam matey by forum rules ive done nothing wrong people dont have to buy it[/quote]

if anyones been offended by me making a profit on a bass, but i thought thats how it works anyway im sorry but i didnt think anyone would be offended and to tell you the truth i normaqlly make a profit in everything i buy thats how it works isnt it,obviously not on here like i say i didnt mean to offend anyone and thats all i can say cheers

you are correct in that its in no way against any rules but most people make a loss as they sell at a time when they have to for financial reasons or to fund the itch for something else. its not the end of the world and i can understand both sides of the argument.

[quote name='adledman' post='1082979' date='Jan 9 2011, 10:59 AM']you are correct in that its in no way against any rules but most people make a loss as they sell at a time when they have to for financial reasons or to fund the itch for something else. its not the end of the world and i can understand both sides of the argument.[/quote]
I'm gonna have to agree with Davy on this one. He bought the bass from someone that was happy to make a deal. It's not like he set out to rip him off, or pressure him into, indeed the bass had been on here for a while without being sold so was probably doing the previous owner a favour as he needed the money. If you don't agree with him making a profit then don't buy it but I don't think its for others to jump on his post trying to be the moral police.
I have more of an issue with the previous owner divulging how much it was sold for. That information was part of a contract between davy and him and should not be shared without davys permission. I believe there are laws to prevent that in the commercial world (or certainly were where I used to live).
Whilst I don't personally agree with buying stuff off here for a quick flick (all the stuff I have bought is for personal use), leave the guy to sell the bass for whatever he wants - it will only sell if someone else thinks they are paying the right price!

[quote name='ukbassboy' post='1083255' date='Jan 9 2011, 04:20 PM']I'm gonna have to agree with Davy on this one. He bought the bass from someone that was happy to make a deal. It's not like he set out to rip him off, or pressure him into, indeed the bass had been on here for a while without being sold so was probably doing the previous owner a favour as he needed the money. If you don't agree with him making a profit then don't buy it but I don't think its for others to jump on his post trying to be the moral police.
I have more of an issue with the previous owner divulging how much it was sold for. That information was part of a contract between davy and him and should not be shared without davys permission. I believe there are laws to prevent that in the commercial world (or certainly were where I used to live).
Whilst I don't personally agree with buying stuff off here for a quick flick (all the stuff I have bought is for personal use), leave the guy to sell the bass for whatever he wants - it will only sell if someone else thinks they are paying the right price![/quote]

all very well to buy a bass for the price its asked for.....However to flaunt the re-sale of same bass for an extra 150bucks in the same forum your purchased it from is where its real slap in the chops.

As we all like to think of ourselves as a community....this certainly does not fit in with that feel!

[quote name='tom1946' post='1083527' date='Jan 9 2011, 08:08 PM']There is no law to prevent the seller from divulging his sale price. It's a free country :)

oh hang on, it USED to be a free country :)[/quote]

There isn't but which is worse, a seller trying to make a few quid or someone - who, frankly, has no longer got anything to do with it - deliberately undermining the sale?

I can't see how it makes any difference to anybody if he asked 500 quid or 1,500 quid. It's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it and I don't think anybody involved in all this ranting had any intention of buying the thing anyway. However, it's none of my business either. This is why we don't say "that's too expensive" to sellers - it's all just been a variation on that theme. A bit sad.

Edited by thepurpleblob

The above post seems perfectly reasonable in most circumstances when someone has a bass they no longer wish to own and decide to sell (I from personal choice try to pass on basses at the same as I paid or a discount to reflect wear and tear but that's my choice and my ethics system). But when the seller says he always tries to make a profit and equates that with "bettering himself" it does suggest that he bought the bass only to flip it. I would prefer eBay be the conduit for that than a community that generally looks out for it's own. Just my personal opinion.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1083653' date='Jan 9 2011, 09:50 PM']The above post seems perfectly reasonable in most circumstances when someone has a bass they no longer wish to own and decide to sell (I from personal choice try to pass on basses at the same as I paid or a discount to reflect wear and tear but that's my choice and my ethics system). But when the seller says he always tries to make a profit and equates that with "bettering himself" it does suggest that he bought the bass only to flip it. I would prefer eBay be the conduit for that than a community that generally looks out for it's own. Just my personal opinion.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1083588' date='Jan 9 2011, 08:54 PM']There isn't but which is worse, a seller trying to make a few quid or someone - who, frankly, has no longer got anything to do with it - deliberately undermining the sale?[/quote]

I think the issue here was that Slaptone was clearly unhappy to have sold it for £600, he must have been in a jam because that is a giveaway. Then to see it here the next day for £750, he thinks he's been mugged off. Thats business, but I'd like to think it's not the way business is done round here.

I've spoken to Dave privately and he did not intend to cause offence or upset, especially to Slaptone and he was under the impression that people regularly sold basses to make profit here. He asked me to make sure this matter is smoothed over, and having spoken with Dave in the past about other basses I do believe he is a genuine bloke who simply made an error of etiquette.

Like I've said before, we all use this forum so we might as well do our best to ensure we give good deals to each other as it's ultimately to our benefit when we grab bargains here.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1083767' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:29 PM']I think the issue here was that Slaptone was clearly unhappy to have sold it for £600, he must have been in a jam because that is a giveaway. Then to see it here the next day for £750, he thinks he's been mugged off. Thats business, but I'd like to think it's not the way business is done round here.

I've spoken to Dave privately and he did not intend to cause offence or upset, especially to Slaptone and he was under the impression that people regularly sold basses to make profit here. He asked me to make sure this matter is smoothed over, and having spoken with Dave in the past about other basses I do believe he is a genuine bloke who simply made an error of etiquette.

Like I've said before, we all use this forum so we might as well do our best to ensure we give good deals to each other as it's ultimately to our benefit when we grab bargains here.[/quote]

and there it should rest :)

[quote name='tom1946' post='1083870' date='Jan 10 2011, 05:53 AM']and there it should rest :)[/quote]

hello ive obviously offended a few who wanted at their price or the price i paid how does the world tick with no profit wed be eating rice and bloody water (DEPRIVATION],i know this is a community so ive took it off and ive been offered a deal from a retailer off a new (secondhand} bass what i cant believe is ive seen people pay peanuts give them a bloody good clean and signifintially capitilise if thats how you u spell it,i bet you wouldnt sell your house for the same price because the buyer who bought it would be doing not FLIP IT ONS but backflips.i respect everyone on bc its the best site by far i woundnt rip a sole off either on it or off it i normally get ripped BC is a community and if ive offended people im sorry but ive had some support so thanks to them and keep up the good work BC atb DAVY

This thread has been interesting reading. I'd quite like a Bongo at some point, I played one and initially thought it looked like a toilet seat but it was a joy to play. Maybe one day. Edited by Jam