Why become a member? ×

Cabs/impedence query

Lozz196

Currently have a situation, which I`ll outlay below. I have a TC Electronic Classic 450, which puts out 450 watts at 4 ohms.

My cabs are an Ampeg SVT 410 HE, 500 watts at 8 ohms, and an Ampeg SVT 210 AV, 200 watts at 8 ohms. Scenarios below, however want to make it clear first off that I don`t actually play that loud, but want the full potential to be able to:

1. Use them both together as they are - I accept that I`ll be splitting the power equally into each cab, but will get the full 450 watts ability from the amp.

2. Change the two 4 ohm drivers in the 210 to 8 ohm drivers, making it a 16 ohm cab, that way splitting the power to each cab equally, but then not getting the full 450 watts ability from the amp.

3. Change the four 8 ohm drivers in the 410 to 4 ohm drivers, making the 410 a 4 ohm cab, thus getting the 450 watts ability from the amp. I know people may suggest changing the SVT 410 HE cab to the HLF, but that is not an option, due to the size of the HLF (too deep for my car).
Edit - I think that the drivers are all 32 ohms, so would need 16 ohm drivers for this!

4. Accept that I may need to look for a higher powered (and different brand) 410 as a stand alone cab.

Any opinions would be most gratefully received.
Cheers

Edited by Lozz196

You'll get 225 watts into each of your 2 8 ohm cabs, but you won't because you'll never play that loud.

You'll get a great sound out of your current cabs and won't run any risk of damaging their speakers. You could look for better cabs but you don't need to. The other options are plain crazy.

+1

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Mark
[quote name='chris_b' post='1075676' date='Jan 2 2011, 08:21 PM']You'll get 225 watts into each of your 2 8 ohm cabs, but you won't because you'll never play that loud.

You'll get a great sound out of your current cabs and won't run any risk of damaging their speakers. You could look for better cabs but you don't need to. The other options are plain crazy.[/quote]

Thanks for your input guys, just used the set-up at band practice, and can report that it sounds excellent, amp only on 3 on volume. Plenty of tone and way more power than I am likely to ever need. I was obviously worrying about nothing, as you so rightly stated.

Just run the cabs paralleled up the two cabs will give you 4 ohms so you will be able to deliver your full amp capability into the cabs. as you say you do not play too loud you will probably not need the full 450 watts so 200 watts into each cab max should be plenty, with all 6 speakers on hand you should not get more than half way on the amp I guess. Just keep in mind the lowest rated cab but you have shared that anyhow.

Edited by deepbass5

Only trouble is that you will need to hear everything at all times in case the 2x10 breaks up. You have no leeway in that cab as it is only rated at 200 which is less that the amp will spew out pushed very hard. Admittedly, you may not get to these levels, but who is to say when that amp pushes out its peak..??? at 5 on the dial, at 8, at..??????

If it were me, I would run the amp at 8ohms into the 4x10 and see where that gets you power-wise in relation to the band.
If it is enough, then you can leave the 2x10 at home.. if not, I would be very careful expecting a weak 2x10 Ampeg rated at 200w to run side by side with a 4x10. Ampeg have traditionally always used low powered chassis and a 200 2x10 in this scenario
isn't helping.

I always think bass is brutal on cabs so I run mine conservatively..and you may intend to do this as well.....but you will have to always be wary that the 2x10 may get a beating on one night or another..for whatever reason and IF you are straining it, I hope you can hear that to save any damage.

I accept this is being very paranoid..but experience in lesser speakers..mine, not yours, taught me that.
Of course, I could be going right OTT...!!

Yes it is something I was concerned about, hence the original post.

Last night was great though, there was no indication of the 210 not being able to cope, at no point was there any farting out, or flubbing, and the only distortion was from the amount of Tubetone that I`d selected.

I`m not overly loud, or overly bassy, eq was bass & treble on +1, low-mid & high-mid on -2, Tubetone on 4, and Spectracomp on 2, with the gain occaisonally peaking at 6 (might drag this back to 5), and volume on 3. So you can see the amp isn`t overloading the cab with extreme settings.

For gigs we keep the same volume as rehearsals, as there`s no point in drowning out the drums live, so I`m fairly satisfied that the 210 shouldn`t find it too taxing.

If I do find its struggling, I`ll probably install higher rated drivers in it. Yes, I know doing that is fairly expensive, but the size and portability of this cab means its worth it to me. Plus, as having bought it 2nd hand, the addition of the new drivers only brings it up to what a new one costs anyway. Would still use the Eminence drivers, just higher power rated.