Why become a member? ×

errm....just what are jumbo frets?

iconic

see, it says so below so I know it has them and I'm not telling porkies.

....but [size=4][b]Jumbo Frets [/b][/size]sounds more like a Blue's Guitarist with a weight problem to me....they don't [i]seem [/i]any different to my MIM P and BB414 frets?

Strangely I sometimes hear customers describe their cars to me when looking to part exchange and 'Rusty Scabs' also sounds like a Blue's guitarist :)

Model Name Vintage Modified Jazz Bass®
Model Number 032-6702-(521)
Series Vintage Modified Series
Colors (521) Natural,
(Polyurethane Finish)
Body Soft Maple
Neck Maple, C-Shape,
(Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard Maple, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
No. of Frets 20 Medium Jumbo
Pickups 2 Duncan Designed™ JB101 Single-Coil Jazz Bass® Pickups with AlNiCo 5 Magnets
Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup),
Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup),
Master Tone
Pickup Switching None
Bridge Standard 4-Saddle
Machine Heads Standard Open-Gear Tuners
Hardware Chrome
Pickguard 3-Ply Black/White/Black
Scale Length 34” (864 mm)
Width at Nut 1.50” (38 mm)
Unique Features Black Bound Fingerboard with Black Block Position Inlays,
Knurled Chrome Dome Control Knobs
Strings Fender Super 7250ML, P/N 073-7250-005, (.045, .065, .080, .100)
Accessories None
Introduced 7/2006

It's an arcane term which originates from the era when ivory was widely used in musical instrument construction & finishing - for example piano keys, nuts & bridge saddles on stringed instruments - and of course frets. At the time animal gut was used to manufacture strings so wear was not an issue, hence frets made from ivory - Jumbo Frets.*

*[spoiler]This may be a lie.
[/spoiler]
Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1074325' date='Jan 1 2011, 01:09 PM']It's an arcane term which originates from the era when ivory was widely used in musical instrument construction & finishing - for example piano keys, nuts & bridge saddles on stringed instruments - and of course frets. At the time animal gut was used to manufacture strings so wear was not an issue, hence frets made from ivory - Jumbo Frets.*

[/spoiler]
Jon.[/quote]

hmmm, so that means if I fit an Ivory top nut to my bass I'll have [b]Jumbo Nuts[/b]?

[quote name='daz' post='1074299' date='Jan 1 2011, 12:31 PM']Jumbo frets are raised a little higher making it easier to sound notes (supposedly)[/quote]

sounds like the best explanation thus far, I've just looked again at the basses here and the Stingray has frets so large they look like 6" nails :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1074325' date='Jan 1 2011, 01:09 PM']It's an arcane term which originates from the era when ivory was widely used in musical instrument construction & finishing - for example piano keys, nuts & bridge saddles on stringed instruments - and of course frets. At the time animal gut was used to manufacture strings so wear was not an issue, hence frets made from ivory - Jumbo Frets.*

[/spoiler]
Jon.[/quote]

I thought today was January 1st not April 1st! :)

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1074382' date='Jan 1 2011, 02:13 PM']You are still telling lies though because it says [color="#0000FF"]medium jumbo[/color][b][/b] :)[/quote]

Thats Elephants as in post #2, but that can contact their dead ancestors for the answer to the meaning of life.

Then of course theres Dumbo Frets, which are just a bit thicker...

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='iconic' post='1074350' date='Jan 1 2011, 01:39 PM']hmmm, so that means if I fit an Ivory top nut to my bass I'll have [b]Jumbo Nuts[/b]?[/quote]
You most certainly will. And if that's not worth being murdered by Animal Rights protesters for, then I don't know what is. :)

J.

[quote name='iconic' post='1074353' date='Jan 1 2011, 01:42 PM']sounds like the best explanation thus far, I've just looked again at the basses here and the Stingray has frets so large they look like 6" nails :)[/quote]

And judging by some of the fretjobs I've seen on pre-EB Stingrays, you'd think they had used 6" nails instead of fret wire!

:)

[/spoiler]
Jon.[/quote]

[quote name='iconic' post='1074287' date='Jan 1 2011, 12:24 PM']see, it says so below so I know it has them and I'm not telling porkies.

....but [size=4][b]Jumbo Frets [/b][/size]sounds more like a Blue's Guitarist with a weight problem to me....they don't [i]seem [/i]any different to my MIM P and BB414 frets?

Strangely I sometimes hear customers describe their cars to me when looking to part exchange and 'Rusty Scabs' also sounds like a Blue's guitarist :)

Model Name Vintage Modified Jazz Bass®
Model Number 032-6702-(521)
Series Vintage Modified Series
Colors (521) Natural,
(Polyurethane Finish)
Body Soft Maple
Neck Maple, C-Shape,
(Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard Maple, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
No. of Frets 20 Medium Jumbo
Pickups 2 Duncan Designed™ JB101 Single-Coil Jazz Bass® Pickups with AlNiCo 5 Magnets
Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup),
Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup),
Master Tone
Pickup Switching None
Bridge Standard 4-Saddle
Machine Heads Standard Open-Gear Tuners
Hardware Chrome
Pickguard 3-Ply Black/White/Black
Scale Length 34” (864 mm)
Width at Nut 1.50” (38 mm)
Unique Features Black Bound Fingerboard with Black Block Position Inlays,
Knurled Chrome Dome Control Knobs
Strings Fender Super 7250ML, P/N 073-7250-005, (.045, .065, .080, .100)
Accessories None
Introduced 7/2006[/quote]

sorry to be boring................. i only know this as i have just had a old jazz refretted with the correct 6105 wire

6230 - 0.112" x 0.055" (2.8mm x 1.4mm) - The biggest frets commonly available - as good as a scalloped feel.

6130 - 0.096" x 0.047" (2.4mm x 1.2mm) - Tall and Narrow. Our most popular fret size.

6150 - 0.106" x 0.036" (2.7mm x 0.9mm) - The "medium jumbo". Commonly found on Gibsons.

6105 - 0.08" x 0.043" (2mm x 1.1mm) - "Vintage fretwire" - often found on the older Fenders.

6100 - 0.103" x 0.046" (2.6mm x 1.2mm) - The true "jumbo" - approximately the same width as the 6130, but taller.

Most modern fenders have medium jumbo, as a previous poster suggested easier to fret without buzzing, but i have found they slow you down a bit, the vintage wire i think allows you better speed, but more fret noise, but i use tape wound strings so not a problem with buzz