Why become a member? ×

Help - advice wanted! Is this bass a good deal?

kiat

Guys, apologies for the lame topic name but I'm not an experienced, gigging bass player and could really do with some advice from the combined expertise from basschat folks!

I'm in New Orleans and flying later back this afternoon. I have one shot at buying this bass, although I could buy it later over the phone and they could ship it, but I'd prefer to carry it back myself. Yesterday I went in and played what I'm told is a

* Fender Precison body (wear, but told it was aged in factory)
* Fender Jazz neck (no discernable wear)
* from Fender's custom USA factory
* probably early 90's
* with hard case, doubt its original
* $999 + sales tax of around 10%

Is this fair / overpriced / a bargain?

It plays beautifully, I love the action. I just found a new version close to this (no fake ageing) on musiciansfriend.com for $650! However I've only ever played Fender copies before, so don't have a great frame of reference. I have no way of knowing if all such hybrids will play similarly or whether I've got lucky and found a once-in-a-lifetime match-made-in-heaven (cheesy, but prepared to sound a jerk in case this is the bass which forever will be my main axe). I want this bass but unsure if I should be spending this kind of money on it. This is more expensive than all my other bass kit put together! (AXL player Jazz, Squire P-bass S/H, , Traynor Bloc-80B, Korg Pandora PX5D, leads). I can afford the money, but it'll severely dent my bass-buying credibility with the wife if I end up wanting another bass soon after ;-/

Thoughts?

[quote name='kiat' post='1072749' date='Dec 30 2010, 02:24 PM']Guys, apologies for the lame topic name but I'm not an experienced, gigging bass player and could really do with some advice from the combined expertise from basschat folks!

I'm in New Orleans and flying later back this afternoon. I have one shot at buying this bass, although I could buy it later over the phone and they could ship it, but I'd prefer to carry it back myself. Yesterday I went in and played what I'm told is a

* Fender Precison body (wear, but told it was aged in factory)
* probably early 90's
* $999 + sales tax of around 10%

Is this fair / overpriced / a bargain?

It plays beautifully, I love the action. I just found a new version close to this (no fake ageing) on musiciansfriend.com for $650! However I've only ever played Fender copies before, so don't have a great frame of reference. I have no way of knowing if all such hybrids will play similarly or whether I've got lucky and found a once-in-a-lifetime match-made-in-heaven (cheesy, but prepared to sound a jerk in case this is the bass which forever will be my main axe). I want this bass but unsure if I should be spending this kind of money on it. This is more expensive than all my other bass kit put together! (AXL player Jazz, Squire P-bass S/H, , Traynor Bloc-80B, Korg Pandora PX5D, leads). I can afford the money, but it'll severely dent my bass-buying credibility with the wife if I end up wanting another bass soon after ;-/

Thoughts?[/quote]

Don't rush into it, it may not be such a bargain :)
Come home & get out around trying some more & more & more - if you still think it may have been THE ONE then you can still mail order it!

Sounds like you haven't done your research and you don't really know what you are buying/want to buy. Don't get fooled by the pricetag. Come back home, research and then be prepared. If you are certain it's the one... as mentioned before, you can always mail order it. If it's already gone, then it wasn't meant to be and move on.

If he told you it was a Custom Shop and made by John English, would that mean anything to you? What I'm trying to say is, if the guy was telling you anything, are you be in a position to question it?

PS, there isn't a shortage of basses either.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='kiat' post='1072749' date='Dec 30 2010, 02:24 PM']* Fender Precison body (wear, but told it was aged in factory)
* probably early 90's
* $999 + sales tax of around 10%[/quote]

So what you have is a BITSA bass and no guarantee that any of it is genuinely Custom Shop USA (or does it have a certificate?). For all you know the body could be from a MIA/MIF/MIM bass and the neck could equally be from any country of origin; unless you know a bit about Fenders this could be a very nice mongrel bass which on the one hand could be worth every penny but conversely could be something you could put together yourself for less money!

I'd personally ask myself if the bass 'feels' and sounds like it is the one for me and what price you put on that is what you can afford.

However, don't forget that when you bring it back into the UK you'll be paying approx 20% duty on what you paid for it!

Personally I wouldn't buy it on a whim like that. There are some good deals to be had back home (look no further than this website), and with the market not moving much at the moment, your 1000, well, 1100 dollars, which I think I'm right in thinking is 700 quid, would get you something decent! I am not a Fender expert, but I'd say keep your money in your pocket mate.

I'd be worried, £850 is alot for what could well be a bitsa.

Plus it will be a right pain for you if you discover faults with it once you get back home. Any warranty they offer you isn't going to be of much use when you are on the other side of the atlantic. So you will be paying for repairs/set up, unless of course you are capable of doing it yourself.

Like others have said Fender P's aren't rare around these parts. You might have to look for a while to find a real good one but that's half the fun.

Guys,

Thank you so much. The common sense and experience shines through in the replies. Because I wasn't sure if I'd get replies here in time before I lose internet access (on hotel wifi with Nexus One phone), I was gearing up to post on talkbass - but your responses make me feel I don't need to. Also whilst I've been writing this response on my N1, 5 more replies came in! You guys rock - thank you - but I have to hit the send button quick before any more come in! :-)

My mind is made up. I'll hold off buying this Fender. I'll research them more deeply when I get back to the UK, spending a lot more hours scouring basschat no doubt :)

KiOgon - I do feel rushed, though by the lack of time (hasten to add not by the shop though (NO Musician's Exchange))

EBS_freak - (your photo was momentarily distracting, she has a great ass but also looks a little like a 2nd pair of tits!). I've been on the lookout for a Precision for the past 6 months mostly for the Jamerson tone I want. I tried a new one in GAK and the old ones were too expensive and I didn't have time to try at the time. I also like the fretboard action on my AXL Jazz copy. Oddly the Squire P-bass has a narrower neck which suited me. I had not expected to find a P-body/J-neck, much less one made that way by Fender. So yes, you're right, I'd not done my research before walking in. But I'm glad I've added to it by asking here! At the end of the day you have to generally weigh up and trust people's advice in forums and reputable shops. So, yes I have no clue Fender has a custom shop (though it sounded entirely feasible at the time) and I've never heard of John English. You're also right that I don't know enough to question it, but I'll try and learn enough over the next few months to help myself. Good to know there isn't a shortage of basses too!

warwickhunt - you're right there was no guarantee or certificate. I asked what the provenance was but only told who the sepper wws. Its a mongrel but one I was told was custom-made that way. Just the shop guy telling me this. The bass felt and sounded just right for me, it surprised me how quickly I got "set". Its possible other such hybrids might give me the same results and that this isn't The One.

gareth1982 - thinking the same thing now. Save my money and buy in the UK, looking here first.

gary mac - warranty is an issue, I certainly would find it difficult to sort out with the shop (or the collector they are selling it for). Fixing it myself isn't a risk I'd want to to take though I'd feel ok on the electronics side. You're right about the fun aspect of tracking down a great bass and trying the ones in between - am looking forward to the chase :-)

BurritoBass - that's very encouraging to hear. Can't wait to start looking over the weekend. Like the Christmas themed photo ;-)

molan - yep, I'd looked and no Custom Shop logo anywhere.

Thank you all so much - you've help put sense in my mind, helped me learn stuff, given me some great ideas. Am thinking a USA Precision body + Jazz neck, buying in the UK and ideally from one of the folks on basschat.

-Kiat