Why become a member? ×

Squier 60's CV And 70's VM's......Precisions!!

spongebob

After looking for a P-bass, the H1's, I've only really just starting looking at the new Squires. Budget isn't huge, so the glowing reviews and prices got my attention!

It's not for a main bass (never will give up the Rics!), but I do fancy a P for the tone, and also for a bass I can throw around a bit in dodgy dives!

I've read some good stuff online, and I do like the look of the Fiesta Red 60's CV. Seems that Squier have all the best colour schemes!

The P tone I love is the growly, thick JJ Burnel sound - what I think of as a P. Fully appreciate there's only one of him, but that's the kind of vibe I wouldn't mid hear coming out of one!

I like the glossy neck of the 60's CV - my Rics are glossy, so I suppose it's what I've come to like. Not fussed about maple or rosewood.

The CV is about 30-40 quid more than the VM....and reason for this? Has the VM got the glossy neck?

I suppose the main question is which bass is best suited for the sound I really like? Or is it just a case of getting a good one??

The Squier CV 60's Precision in Fiesta Red is a classic that in the years to come will be REALLY big. Galaxies better than a VM one in terms of actual manufacturing construction, these people got it absolutely right, the neck pocket is perfect, the fingerboard and the neck itself are a joy to play, and yes it is a glossy one but the non stick kind, your hand will glide, trust me.
The body is made out of basswood light and very resonant. It comes with a Highmass bridge with brass saddles and that is a BIG plus as it gives the bass a gorgeous resonance.

People have commented on the machineheads for being cheap and nasty, but even being picky I can live with them. The only major nag I have with [b]ALL[/b] the CV Squier's is what's under the pickguard and the pickup, which [b]"in my view"[/b] is where Squier cut corners, wiring, pots, input socket and the pickup are very cheap and flimsy utter sh|te. I have replaced the lot with CTS pots, Sprague Cap, original fender waxed cloth wires, a switchkraft input socket and for the ultimate sound I've stuck a Lollar pickup and now you'll have to pry it off my hands. The way it is now I consider it better than Fender MIM which the workmanship is no where near as good as these.

Try one and see for yourself.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1070914' date='Dec 28 2010, 01:04 PM']The Squier CV 60's Precision in Fiesta Red is a classic that in the years to come will be REALLY big. Galaxies better than a VM[/quote]

Got to agree with this - and I own a VM (I needed a reasonably priced fretless). When I tried it I also tried a whole host of CV's and VMJ's in GAK and, although the VM's are very, very good for the money, the CV's are simply very, very good.
As GW says, get out there and try some.

I really like the look of the amber maple VMP, very nice indeed....certainly looks the part....they are always dearer than the painted version though by £40 ish

....Good basses these Squiers, my VMJ is still as new, even though it's put a lot of hours in at the hand of a learner and plays very well if that helps?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1070914' date='Dec 28 2010, 01:04 PM']The Squier CV 60's Precision in Fiesta Red is a classic that in the years to come will be REALLY big. Galaxies better than a VM one in terms of actual manufacturing construction, these people got it absolutely right, the neck pocket is perfect, the fingerboard and the neck itself are a joy to play, and yes it is a glossy one but the non stick kind, your hand will glide, trust me.
The body is made out of basswood light and very resonant. It comes with a Highmass bridge with brass saddles and that is a BIG plus as it gives the bass a gorgeous resonance.

People have commented on the machineheads for being cheap and nasty, but even being picky I can live with them. The only major nag I have with [b]ALL[/b] the CV Squier's is what's under the pickguard and the pickup, which [b]"in my view"[/b] is where Squier cut corners, wiring, pots, input socket and the pickup are very cheap and flimsy utter sh|te. I have replaced the lot with CTS pots, Sprague Cap, original fender waxed cloth wires, a switchkraft input socket and for the ultimate sound I've stuck a Lollar pickup and now you'll have to pry it off my hands. The way it is now I consider it better than Fender MIM which the workmanship is no where near as good as these.

Try one and see for yourself.[/quote]

I'm also considering buying a Fiesta red CV Squier Precision.

These seem to be really killer basses. I've played a few and I really love them. However, I've seen this (http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=05070214181319) and was wondering. If I got the Squier and upgraded the pickups, switched to the same reverse machineheads as the 50s P bass and put some flats on, would it be cheaper AND still as good a player? I don't care about the name on the headstock, but if it'll be cheaper to mod the Squier and it will play as well, then I'd go for that! (Plus, I like the Fiesta Red/RW fingerboard combo more than the FR/Maple!)

[quote name='skej21' post='1070963' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:11 PM']I'm also considering buying a Fiesta red CV Squier Precision.

These seem to be really killer basses. I've played a few and I really love them. However, I've seen this (http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=05070214181319) and was wondering.

Q.: If I got the Squier and upgraded the pickups, switched to the same reverse machineheads as the 50s P bass and put some flats on, would it be cheaper AND still as good a player? [b][size=3][color="#FF0000"]ASWER: YES!![/color][/size][/b]

I don't care about the name on the headstock, but if it'll be cheaper to mod the Squier and it will play as well, then I'd go for that! [b][size=3][color="#FF0000"]ASWER: YES!![/color][/size][/b]
(Plus, I like the Fiesta Red/RW fingerboard combo more than the FR/Maple!)[/quote]

As above

Get yourself one of these kits off ebay (they are the dog's scrotum :) ) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRING-KIT-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-HIGH-QUALITY-/350419402129?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item51969fbd91"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRING-KIT-FENDER-PR...=item51969fbd91[/url]

And any decent pickup such as a Lollar or a Seymour Duncan Antiquity and you are [b][size=3][color="#800080"]"THERE!"[/color][/size][/b]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1070990' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:42 PM']Get yourself one of these kits off ebay (they are the dog's scrotum :) ) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRING-KIT-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-HIGH-QUALITY-/350419402129?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item51969fbd91"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRING-KIT-FENDER-PR...=item51969fbd91[/url]

And any decent pickup such as a Lollar or a Seymour Duncan Antiquity and you are [b][size=3][color="#800080"]"THERE!"[/color][/size][/b][/quote]

THANKS! Christmas cash has found a new home, and I get a new bass. WIN all 'round :)

[quote name='iconic' post='1070954' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:03 PM']I really like the look of the amber maple VMP, very nice indeed....certainly looks the part....they are always dearer than the painted version though by £40 ish

....Good basses these Squiers, my VMJ is still as new, even though it's put a lot of hours in at the hand of a learner and plays very well if that helps?

[/quote]
I fancy one of these,but I'd put a MM in the bridge position.

Thanks all, keep the opinions coming!

As the machine heads have been mentioned, how bad are they?

Years and years ago, I had a terrible Jim Deacon Stingray copy. One day when tuning, the head disintegrated in my hand as it was plastic with a platicky chrome cover!

Must be better than that, surely?

And tone wise - big difference between the CV and VM? I'm still probably still more into the looks of the CV, but does it provide a JJ growl?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2FvbdcAVM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2FvbdcAVM[/url]

Unique, but if I could come slightly close.....!

[quote name='spongebob' post='1071007' date='Dec 28 2010, 03:03 PM']Thanks all, keep the opinions coming!

As the machine heads have been mentioned, how bad are they?

Years and years ago, I had a terrible Jim Deacon Stingray copy. One day when tuning, the head disintegrated in my hand as it was plastic with a platicky chrome cover!

Must be better than that, surely? [b][size=3][color="#FF0000"]ANSWER: YES they are a lot better, once you tighten the large screw they work very well and keep the tuning honest[/color][/size][/b]

And tone wise - big difference between the CV and VM? I'm still probably still more into the looks of the CV, but does it provide a JJ growl? [b][size=3][color="#FF0000"]ANSWER: YES the CV has the best, woodiest, warmest sound I have ever tried on any Squier, even the long gone JV Series![/color][/size][/b][/quote]

As above, but in a nutshell the CV machineheads are not that bad really, of course they are not like the vintage reverse tuners but if, as I've suggested, you tighten the main large screw, they work fine. A set of Fender ones will set you back £70+ is it worth it, specially considering that in order to fit the Fender ones you'll have to drill new holes as they have a larger footprint...? Trust me man you can live with the Squier ones no probs.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='bh2' post='1071011' date='Dec 28 2010, 03:13 PM']I reckon the stock pups on the CVs sound pretty good. I think the hardware is okay too but I love the look of the vintage machines on these...

These on a CV P.[/quote]

They are the same reverse machine heads that are on the 50s Precision Bass and I love them. They look cool and it's just a nice quirky feature to have reverse tuning pegs. A definate upgrade for me.

*EDIT*

[url="http://shop.absolute-guitars.co.uk/fender-vintage-bass-tuners---nickel-rh-1025-p.asp"]http://shop.absolute-guitars.co.uk/fender-...l-rh-1025-p.asp[/url] - £74.99 for a set of 4.

Edited by skej21

I have just recieved a fiesta red squier myself, and I am very happy with it. This one isn't mine but thought might help you make your decision, since for the cash you can't go wrong really.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116074&hl=squier"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...4&hl=squier[/url]

Agree with all the good comments about the CV P. I got one recently as a cheap way of getting to grips with a P neck in preperation to getting a HW-one P or MIA, and its now my main gigging bass.

I would be more than happy to gig it stock (i did at first) but after getting a Wizard Thumper its now got THE P bass tone ive been searching for.

Im not sure how they match up to the standard Squier range as ive never tried one, but the necks on the CV's are so nice i would compare them to my old Lakland Duck Dunn necks as far as feel and playability goes.
The tuners (as already mentioned) really arent that bad. They feel lower quality when i use them but they don't go out of tune, not even when i use a gig bag, so i wouldn't waste more money on changing them.

The bridges are non standard width (and hole spacing), and i could feel this from the moment i got my CV Jazz. The string spacing is slightly wider than a normal Fender so ive got a Vintage bridge on my CVP now, so i can adjust the string spacing, as this is also helping with getting to grips with the wider neck. I do have a Gotoh 201 on its way though so ill be bak to 19mm soon.

I have had my CV Jazz neck on it for a while but im giving the P neck another chance.
It was a stroke of genius Squier using vintage frets IMO, this certainly separates these necks to most other necks on cheaper basses (even my HW-one doesn't have them). this allows for a very low action, not always achievable on budget basses IME.

My CV Jazz has a perfect neck pocket but my CV P has a small gap. Nothing to worry about though and its better than an MIM 50s classic i had a few years ago.

Downsides, for me, are the colours plus non standard pick guard fitting. I hate the red and blue finishes, and really like the VM finishes but thats really a minor point and one i can live with. It would be fantastic if there was a black/maple CV P but i guess thats not what these are about.

Edited by dave_bass5

I HAVE THE VM JAZZ....AND THE CV JAZZ....BOTH PLAY REALLY NICE....NECK ON CV SEEMS SLIGHTLY THINNER AS A JAZZ NECK SHOULD....VM NECK FEELS CHUNKIER?? MIGHT BE ME....BUT ADDS TO THE APPEAL AND GIVES THEM BOTH A DIFFERENT QUALITY....WAS GOING TO GET THE CV PREC....BUT OPTED FOR THE JAZZES BUT THAT IS PURELY A PERSONAL THING....GO FOR IT AS FOR THE PRICE THEY ARE GREAT.....CHECK ON GOOGLE TYPE IN BASSWHISPERER YOU WILL FIND ED FRIEDLAND DOING A HEAD TO HEAD WITH THE CLASSIC VIBE RANGE SQUIERS AGAINST HIS OWN MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE FENDERS.....THE DIFFERENCE VERY MINIMAL.....HIS OWN WORDS, HE RATES THESE AS HIGH AS THE FIRST 82 SQUIERS....THIS IS WHAT DREW MY ATTENTION TO THEM.....THE VM JAZZ I HAVE PLEASED WITH ASWELL PERSONALLY I LIKE THE NOT SO GLOSSED NECK....BOTH GOT THERE OWN FEEL ECT....BUT I WANTED THE CV JAZZ FOR ITS ROSEWOOD NECK....AND THE VM JAZZ FOR ITS SMART BLOCK INLAYED MAPLE NECK....CHEERS BOB.

i to have been looking at the classic vibe P, however i have been attracted by the bass collection power bass, looks like great reviews, similar price range and a painted headstock

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-guitars/bass-collection-power-bass-jet-black.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-gu...-jet-black.html[/url]

looks spot on to me, i would be interested to here if any one has played one and thoughts

cheers lowfer

I still think about the Classic Vive jazz I used to have. The quality of that bass was incredible; it was put together with such care and quality that it could have easily passed for an American Fender in a blind test. I still think about buying another one and putting some Bartolini pickups in it.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1071998' date='Dec 29 2010, 06:58 PM']I still think about the Classic Vive jazz I used to have. The quality of that bass was incredible; it was put together with such care and quality that it could have easily passed for an American Fender in a blind test. I still think about buying another one and putting some Bartolini pickups in it.[/quote]

I mentioned in the Bass Cellar thread that i was in there today. In the window they had a Fender RI P bass for about £1650. They also had a CV P and CV J. When i looked at the neck pocket on the Fender it had a gap down one side, quite prominent although nothing to worry about. Both CV's were a perfect fit. Only £1300 difference. Maybe Fender should get the Squier people to make their top end basses.

Thanks everybody!

The BC community seems pretty sold on these. Now to do some more looking to get the price even lower.

The video above sums it up - I actually checked it out the other day, and couldn't believe it. I'm am no Fender expert at all, but the difference I hear is minimal. With the kind of gigs I do, pubs and such, I reckon even that difference would get buried. and lost on most people including myself.

Of course, it also works for me at gigs where you don't want to cart around a £1600 Ric. Hell, if a sub £300 bass took a knock, I'd actually be happy knowing it wasn't the Ric taking it!!

[quote name='spongebob' post='1072891' date='Dec 30 2010, 05:01 PM']Thanks everybody!

The BC community seems pretty sold on these. Now to do some more looking to get the price even lower.

The video above sums it up - I actually checked it out the other day, and couldn't believe it. I'm am no Fender expert at all, but the difference I hear is minimal. With the kind of gigs I do, pubs and such, I reckon even that difference would get buried. and lost on most people including myself.

Of course, it also works for me at gigs where you don't want to cart around a £1600 Ric. Hell, if a sub £300 bass took a knock, I'd actually be happy knowing it wasn't the Ric taking it!![/quote]

Yep, i defy anyone to tell the difference between most standard P or Jazz basses in a gig situation, especially a noisy one.
I do hear the differences in Ed's video, and actually prefer his basses over the CV's as far as tone goes, but i would say a string change would be more noticable.

I dont even have my CV's insured. Just not worth it IMO. If i lost one i would just get another the next day. I treat all my basses the same but im not worried about the CV's as much as i have been my other basses. The finish seem to be pretty thick so they look like they might take a bit of a beating.