Why become a member? ×

Squier 60's CV And 70's VM's......Precisions!!

spongebob

How come the range of colours in the Squier range far, for me, outweighs the Fenders?

I think that P's look better in interesting colours, like the red. The Fender US/Mex P's all seem to be a bit 'regular'....black, sumburst, etc...

Then again, I suppose I'm a bit influenced by seeing JJ Burnel with his green P, and of course Kim Deal - I think - had a old red P (US of course!)

[quote name='spongebob' post='1072924' date='Dec 30 2010, 05:34 PM']How come the range of colours in the Squier range far, for me, outweighs the Fenders?

I think that P's look better in interesting colours, like the red. The Fender US/Mex P's all seem to be a bit 'regular'....black, sumburst, etc...

Then again, I suppose I'm a bit influenced by seeing JJ Burnel with his green P, and of course Kim Deal - I think - had a old red P (US of course!)[/quote]

I feel totally the opposite. Other than the white CV Jazz i hate the CV colours. Im living with the Fiesta Red but cant say i like it, nor the Pastel blue.

I've just checked out i retailer who have put their price up on these nearly 40 squid overnight!

That's maybe a bit over the VAT thing, and it's not quite new year yet.

Who knows....maybe the shops read BC, and when a bass gets raved about, they give the price a hike!!

Still, you can now pick these up at about £299, which is still pretty good - I haven't ordered yet, and wish I had done a week ago.

Trouble is, they creep over the £300 mark, and you can get a new MIM for about £380, so that's quite a tough market to get into.....

When I was in a buying mood, I tried to love the CV-Jazz. I couldn't - it was the frets and the rolled edges of the fingerboard that turned me off.

The CVs seem to have the more-rolled edges that make me feel that I'm going to roll the string to the underside of the neck if I'm not careful

That - coupled with the tiny frets just made it a no-go for me and I moved right over to the VM styles.

I also wanted to love the Marcus Miller bass - but it has that rolled edge again and that queered the deal again.

At this time I am waiting for my GC to get the Reggie Hamilton P/J in, and from all the thumbnail pixs of it I hope it has a flatter 9.5" radius fretboard and some decent-sized frets.

The Fender Medium Jumbo frets are really just the standard sized, and also at the same time they are the industry standard too - as almost everything Fender does also becomes 'the standard of the industry' too.

The Classic frets are 'way too short, small and they don't give a good feel to me.

Now - the CVs are indeed glossy necked, but I got my matte finished VM to a glossy condition by severely waxing it to death and it's fine now. Even my SR500 is glossy now from the same process.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1074998' date='Jan 2 2011, 04:17 AM']When I was in a buying mood, I tried to love the CV-Jazz. I couldn't - it was the frets and the rolled edges of the fingerboard that turned me off.

The CVs seem to have the more-rolled edges that make me feel that I'm going to roll the string to the underside of the neck if I'm not careful

That - coupled with the tiny frets just made it a no-go for me and I moved right over to the VM styles.[/quote]

I don't see the advantage of big frets.
Short thin frets make for a faster, smoother playing neck like on the early Fenders and I don't know why they started making them bigger, unless it was the introduction of round wound strings that cause more wear.
The medium jumbos are ok for me, but I prefer the vintage frets and I'm pleased to see them on the Squier CVs and Fender Classic 60s basses.
I also like the rolled edges, because they help with playing speed and I haven't rolled off the edge yet.
The only things I don't like about the CVs are the colours and the glossy neck.

In fact I'm pretty well your opposite number Joe - we both like jazz basses, but for quite different reasons and clever old Fender/Squier make more than one to suit each of us :)

It may be down to the different styles of music we play - I only use flat wound strings and play mostly reggae.

Steve.

My main bass is now a Squier P (with a semour duncan pickup) and I turn up to gigs and soundcheck and people are still amazed that my tone is coming from a Squier. It's great that you don't really have to justify playing a cheaper bass when the sound does it for you :)

'Pudding --- and proof-of comes' to mind. I don't know if that's a UK cliche or not - but if the sounds's right it doesn't matter if you get it from a stick beating on a can.

[quote]In fact I'm pretty well your opposite number Joe - we both like jazz basses, but for quite different reasons and clever old Fender/Squier make more than one to suit each of us cool.gif

It may be down to the different styles of music we play - I only use flat wound strings and play mostly reggae.[/quote]

I 'dabble' in Reggae, but haven't gone there much. Cool vocal-jazz, surf, Motown, early rock - well, heck-fire, just about anything that doesn't involve a mosh pit or cutting/tattooing myself.

I wouldn't judge by your pix that you'd be a reggae player though:

If I saw you one the street, the first thought in my mind would be: "That guy's NOT a reggae bass-player"

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

I've got the CV 60's P in electric blue as my second bass. It's pretty good - I don't think the stock pickups are at all bad and that's comparing them with Wizard 84s on my Jazz. The machine heads are certainly livable too.

My only criticism was the factory setup - not quite enough relief on the neck so it's a bit buzzy but that's easily remedied.

I paid £260 for it lasy Christmas - it's a bargain!

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1075471' date='Jan 2 2011, 05:00 PM']If I saw you one the street, the first thought in my mind would be: "That guy's NOT a reggae bass-player"[/quote]

Mi locks are under mi tam man :).................. [url="http://myspace.com/redstriper"][color="#FF0000"][b]Hear[/b][/color] [color="#FFFF00"][b]me[/b][/color] [color="#2E8B57"][b]now[/b][/color] [b]![/b][/url]

[quote name='redstriper' post='1075494' date='Jan 2 2011, 05:21 PM']How do the wizards compare to the original pups on the jazz bass?[/quote]

A fair bit more output and they sound a bit "fatter". Although I like them I sometimes wonder if they take away a little bit of the typical jazz tone. They work well with the S1 switch I've got fitted and do a passable "P" impression.

I found my Wizard 74's gave my CV Jazz a bit more low mids, edge and clarity, but also lost some warmth. Not a bad thing in itself but i find my HW-one much more suitable to these pups.

Ive also just pit a Gotoh 201 on my CV P and it sounds a bit fatter and a tiny bit deeper than with the Fender vintage bridge on it.

Edited by dave_bass5

I have a CV 50's P, (with the tele headstock) and it's a fabulously well-made piece of kit. The electrics are naff, as stated earlier in the thread, but a decent wiring kit and pickup makes all the difference.

My only real grumble, is I can't get it set up to play quite as nice as I'd like. My main bass is a Roadworn P, and if you've played one of these, you'll know how I like my basses -I want the action very low, with little relief in the neck, very mellow and easy to play.

I haven't got the time or resources to deal with it at the moment but I'm thinking a pro set up along with a purpose-cut new bone nut will help it get there.

The 60s CV P bass is a great bit of kit. The neck is utterly brilliant to play. Was going to convert mine to fretless but don't have the heart to mess with such a nice neck. Will get some new pups for it this year.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='rjb' post='1076616' date='Jan 3 2011, 06:46 PM']The 60s CV P bass is a great bit of kit. The neck is utterly brilliant to play. Was going to convert mine to fretless but don't have the heart to mess with such a nice neck. Will get some new pups for it this year.[/quote]

No!!! If you do I'll come and find you wherever you are and feed those 20 frets to you one by one! :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1076700' date='Jan 3 2011, 07:53 PM']No!!! If you do I'll come and find you wherever you are and feed those 20 frets to you one by one! :)[/quote]

Rest assured, the neck will stay as it is! Thinking of sticking some wizard trad pups on it.

[quote name='rjb' post='1076616' date='Jan 3 2011, 06:46 PM']The 60s CV P bass is a great bit of kit. The neck is utterly brilliant to play. Was going to convert mine to fretless but don't have the heart to mess with such a nice neck.[/quote]

Ive been saying the same thing since i got mine but cant bring myself to mess with the neck. Seeing as the Jazz neck is on the P full time now i do have a spare CV P neck but its still too nice to mess with.

Ordered a Fiesta Red CV P yesterday, expecting it tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how I find it when it arrives.

This has been a really informative discussion, so thanks to all for you excellent input, and helping me make my decision to finally buy one!

[quote name='spongebob' post='1077114' date='Jan 4 2011, 10:47 AM']Ordered a Fiesta Red CV P yesterday, expecting it tomorrow.

This has been a really informative discussion, so thanks to all for you excellent input, and helping me make my decision to finally buy one![/quote]

Nice one. I hope you like it.

[quote name='spongebob' post='1077114' date='Jan 4 2011, 10:47 AM']Ordered a Fiesta Red CV P yesterday, expecting it tomorrow.

This has been a really informative discussion, so thanks to all for you excellent input, and helping me make my decision to finally buy one![/quote]

You certainly won't regret that one, I assure you.

Congrats spongebob... I've serious gas for the blue one. I was going to defret it but the necks on these are too nice ( I love the gloss), plus I think, after a fretless, the small frets might feel quite tidy.

Give us you review and have fun.