Why become a member? ×

Tuition DVD's

Lysdexia

Hi folks - I just bought myself Stu Hamm's 'slap, pop & tap' DVD and despite his cheesiness, there's stuff I have learnt and more to glean from it.

Any other suggestions of tip-top DVD's worthy of investment?

I'd also really like a DVD to learn how to properly set-up a bass and/or a guitar.

Cheers!

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1070641' date='Dec 27 2010, 11:27 PM']Hi folks - I just bought myself Stu Hamm's 'slap, pop & tap' DVD and despite his cheesiness, there's stuff I have learnt and more to glean from it.

Any other suggestions of tip-top DVD's worthy of investment?

I'd also really like a DVD to learn how to properly set-up a bass and/or a guitar.

Cheers![/quote]

you could get the Flea DVD. They are so oot their nut hahahahaha

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1070646' date='Dec 27 2010, 11:34 PM']you could get the Flea DVD. They are so oot their nut hahahahaha[/quote]

Had that and sold it - next to useless. I love his playing, but that DVD was a snoozefest jamw***.

Anyone know if the Wimbish one is any good?

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1070660' date='Dec 27 2010, 11:56 PM']Had that and sold it - next to useless. I love his playing, but that DVD was a snoozefest jamw***.

Anyone know if the Wimbish one is any good?[/quote]

That Flea DVD is all kinds of wrong. Just awful.

The Doug Wimbish one is alright in places and a bit sh*t in others,but mostly it's average.

If you like the Stu Hamm DVD,why don't you check out his follow up 'Deeper Inside the Bass'? He's also done one recently,but I've forgotten what
it's called.

It depends what you're after-Wooten's 'Groove Workshop' is good, Nathan East's 'The Business of Bass' is very good,Alexis Sklarevski 'Slap
Bass Programme' is cool,as is Rocco's 'Fingerstyle Funk'.

I think that the thing to remember about instructional videos is to take them as entertainment and not as a lesson substitute. Sure,you may get the odd
lick or idea,but the majority won't really help you in any significant way. I've got loads of them,and they are more about watching someone play
than actually learning anything.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1070719' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:39 AM']This one is excellent

[url="http://movie-bay.co.uk/for-sale-post/Slap-Bass-The-Ultimate-Guide_26846.html"]http://movie-bay.co.uk/for-sale-post/Slap-...uide_26846.html[/url][/quote]

Cheers - excellent price at that. I tried to buy it but PayPal reported a problem with their paypal account so Amazon to the rescue.

Thanks!

Any others - especially one to help me learn about setups/maintenance?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1070714' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:00 AM']I think that the thing to remember about instructional videos is to take them as entertainment and not as a lesson substitute. Sure,you may get the odd
lick or idea,but the majority won't really help you in any significant way. I've got loads of them,and they are more about watching someone play
than actually learning anything.[/quote]

I find that if I come across a technique that inspires me - or at least helps - I'll stick with learning it and so improvement overall is attained.

For example, my fingering technique is an adaptation from a Jaco Pastorius DVD. And although it was a complete bastard unlearning years of bad habits, I'm obsessive enough to stick with it if I understand the likely long term benefits.

My recent keenness to move forward again has been because I have a bass I really enjoy playing again and, also on the Pastorius DVD, accepting advice against the dangers of just learning licks rather than improving all aspects of playing and understanding.

But, whilst doing that, I'm also keen to find playing entertaining for myself and I love slapping, tapping and the like.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1070720' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:59 AM']Cheers - excellent price at that. I tried to buy it but PayPal reported a problem with their paypal account so Amazon to the rescue.

Thanks!

Any others - especially one to help me learn about setups/maintenance?[/quote]

For that you don't need a dvd, here is a long PDF link that does it all: [url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf"]http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54j...uide_ver100.pdf[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1070876' date='Dec 28 2010, 12:07 PM']For that you don't need a dvd, here is a long PDF link that does it all: [url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf"]http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54j...uide_ver100.pdf[/url][/quote]

Thank you very much indeed!

Absolutely perfect. Might be a good idea to buy myself a cheapo bass to get to grips with this.

over the years I've bought a few - including the Doug Wimbish one - resulted in impulse buying a Boss me20B which I've never used - don't even understand how it works!!

The best instruction?? -[b] Marlowe DK on Youtube [/b]- check out this link..

[b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sLNh8JS08[/b]

I've probably learned from this one link than I have from all the others put together..

Sorry..just realised that "Playbassnow" is MarloweDK's website..Happy Jack beat me to it..

Edited by TheGreek

The first video I got (it was the 80's) was Rudy Sarzo's hot licks. Sure,you can tell he is reading the autocue a fair bit,
but he covers alot of styles ,and he puts alot into it.
Funniest one I got was Randy Coven's ultimate lead bass. He was on another planet when he did that. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1071028' date='Dec 28 2010, 03:38 PM']Before you spend TOO much on DVDs, have you explored [url="http://playbassnow.com/"]http://playbassnow.com/[/url]

If you can already do everything on [i][b]that [/b][/i]website, then you probably don't need much tuition![/quote]
:)

And with that all plans for DVD's are temporarily suspended.

Superb!

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1071209' date='Dec 28 2010, 07:46 PM']:)

And with that all plans for DVD's are temporarily suspended.

Superb![/quote]

Except the Ed Friedland one, it is highly recommended to teach you that most important approach to the slap technique and also how to apply it in the real world, in any music contest.

Billy Sheehan's book and DVD was really helpful to me - I don't play his style but the whole three finger technique and warm up exercises are a gem. I prefer the rockschool/Ed Friedland/Hal Leonard books for bass - the DVD's are pretty awful (and expensive!), All star right and left hand techniques were gash, Tony somebodies groove techniques were just as bad. Lick Library is fantastic for guitar tuition, they have just 3 for bass - mark king, john paul jones and john deacon, I haven't bought them as I can work out the latter twos stuff myself and Mark King leaves me cold. No patience for youtube lessons.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1071221' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:10 PM']Lick Library is fantastic for guitar tuition, they have just 3 for bass - mark king, john paul jones and john deacon, I haven't bought them as I can work out the latter twos stuff myself and Mark King leaves me cold. No patience for youtube lessons.[/quote]

There is also the Jaco Pastorious from Lick Library (I just did not have the patience to figure out Portrait of Tracy or piece it together from YouTube).
Starting with seeing Victor Wooten live last year, led me to stumbling across MarloweDK's site, which together got me wanting to get back into bass big time. Which then led me to buying other videos and books, joining this site, and buying gear from this site...damn you Vic and MarlowdDK! :)

MarloweDK also has:
www.youplayalong.com

I'm interested in that Ed Friedland DVD now as people here seem to like it...is it any better/different than Alexis Sklarevski Slap Bass Program?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1071211' date='Dec 28 2010, 07:50 PM']Except the Ed Friedland one, it is highly recommended to teach you that most important approach to the slap technique and also how to apply it in the real world, in any music contest.[/quote]

Ok - with a recommendation that hearty I went ahead and bought it.

I'm looking forward to it!