Why become a member? ×

Drop tuners..

bubinga5

Ok this maybe a dumb question, but can someone explain how a drop tuner works...(for dummies)

Obviously it drop tunes the one string, but how does this affect playing the rest of the strings in conjuntion with the e string that is dropped.. also does installing a drop tuner involve drilling other holes....

Why not just de tune everything and play in a different position..

im a newbie with drop tuners..

If you get the right de tuner for your bass you shouldn't need to drill any holes, it'll use the original holes.

The replacement tuner moves in relation to a plate which fixes to the headstock, there's a lever that allows the tuner to rotate back slackening the string a bit. Plus a small thumbscrew that allows you to adjust how far back the tuner rotates, this sets the note the string drop to (often D).

This probably explains it better [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krL94H-wwDw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krL94H-wwDw[/url]

It takes a while to get used to being tuned Low D, A, D, G so some people do tune everything down to D, G, C, A (I prefer to play a 5 stringer)

I used to use a slightly heavier E string but generally it seems if your E string sounds fairly tight and punchy it'll drop to D and still sound great. Often an open detuned D will sound better than a fretted low D on a five string.

I think some signature strings like Billy Sheehan's have a heavier guage E because he uses a D tuner.

I use Std strings, and go between standard and dropped d, also tune to C and drop C with "normal" strings.

One thing I have always thought of, is when I drop to D, I always have to re-tune the other 3 strings, I just assume that the change in tension by varying one string, causes the tension to change on the other three, so if I used a hipshot etc, I guess I would still need to re tune the other three, so in reality, are they that good?

Never used one so I am just assuming.

Rich's explanation is good.

I use standard gauge 105 E strings on a 34inch scale and I have never had a problem with drop D tuning. Don't have a problem playing in drop D either, it's easy to get used to and you'll be swapping between the two tunings in no time. Possibly because you can play some really cool things in drop D and 5ths and octaves are really movable as you play them like 4ths in standard tuning.

The one thing with a D Tuner is to remember to use it, I've so many times forgotten to switch it back up for the next song :)

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1064799' date='Dec 20 2010, 05:01 PM']I use Std strings, and go between standard and dropped d, also tune to C and drop C with "normal" strings.

One thing I have always thought of, is [b]when I drop to D, I always have to re-tune the other 3 strings,[/b] I just assume that the change in tension by varying one string, causes the tension to change on the other three, so if I used a hipshot etc, I guess I would still need to re tune the other three, so in reality, are they that good?

Never used one so I am just assuming.[/quote]
That's weird. It has never been an issue on either of mine. A cent here and there won't make any tangible difference anyway.

Yes, they really are that good!

[quote name='silddx' post='1064805' date='Dec 20 2010, 05:06 PM']That's weird. It has never been an issue on either of mine. A cent here and there won't make any tangible difference anyway.

Yes, they really are that good![/quote]

mm, thats got me worried now, could my necks not be that stable? as if I tune back up from dropped to standard, the other three are really flat, like un-playable!

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1064808' date='Dec 20 2010, 05:09 PM']mm, thats got me worried now, could my necks not be that stable? as if I tune back up from dropped to standard, the other three are really flat, like un-playable![/quote]
That really is very, very odd mate.