Why become a member? ×

John Taylor

iconic

bash my balls with an iron bar, this is an easy tune, I can nail Rio and Girls On Film, Last Chance on The Stairway all of which are real busy tunes but, the timing of the verse of Hungry Like the Wolf is throwing me a tad.. the bass isn't in time with the the bass drum....well it is sometimes!

the verse is 3 beats of E...are these triplets if are there 3 in a bar?

the way it is now played now on the re-recording of Rio seems more straightforward, well it does to me?

...is that a Peavey?

maybe just be me :)

Edited by iconic

It's different probably because he "can't" play it like the studio version, or "can't be arsed" learning how.

I saw a long documentary once on Duran Durun. GF is a very, very big fan... John Taylor often did / does so many overdubs on his basslines he has to learn how to play them before they play live. Some of them he admitted to finding impossible to play if I remember correctly.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1060584' date='Dec 16 2010, 02:14 PM']It's different probably because he "can't" play it like the studio version, or "can't be arsed" learning how.

I saw a long documentary once on Duran Durun. GF is a very, very big fan... John Taylor often did / does so many overdubs on his basslines he has to learn how to play them before they play live. Some of them he admitted to finding impossible to play if I remember correctly.[/quote]

Rio, Seven And The Ragged Tiger and Powerstation are when he did this most. He doesn't make any attempt to disguise the fact that many of the lines on those albums are impossible to reproduce, as these are composites, both in terms of overdubs and transitions. When you listen closely to Rio you can hear particularly that many of the popped sections are overdubbed.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='noelk27' post='1060910' date='Dec 16 2010, 07:45 PM']Rio, Seven And The Ragged Tiger and Powerstation are when he did this most. He doesn't make any attempt to disguise the fact that many of the lines on those albums are impossible to reproduce, as these are composites, both in terms of overdubs and transitions. When you listen closely to Rio you can hear particularly that many of the popped sections are overdubbed.[/quote]

I think I recall a dicussion on Talkbass where it was revealed one of the slap solos or complex slap parts on one of the Powerstation records was actually Bernard Edwards! However, John is a fairly good player even if he did create some unplayable stuff in the studio! The line to "Girls on Film" is really quite tricky when you look at it and try to get it bang on with the record!

My wife bought me the CD of 'Rio/Classic Album', very interesting, far more to this lot than a bunch of pretty student boys, some good stuff from the recording studio of 'straight' sounds before being 'mixed'....forgive my ignorance of proper terminology.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1074159' date='Jan 1 2011, 05:46 AM']I think I recall a dicussion on Talkbass where it was revealed one of the slap solos or complex slap parts on one of the Powerstation records was actually Bernard Edwards! However, John is a fairly good player even if he did create some unplayable stuff in the studio! The line to "Girls on Film" is really quite tricky when you look at it and try to get it bang on with the record![/quote]

Bernard Edwards did the bass solo on "Get It On".

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kXaX5D6Ng"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kXaX5D6Ng[/url]

[quote name='bassaussie' post='1074223' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:30 AM']Bernard Edwards did the bass solo on "Get It On".

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kXaX5D6Ng"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kXaX5D6Ng[/url][/quote]

Seeing that just made me think...it's the first, and only time, I have Bernard Edwards slapping?

[quote name='bassaussie' post='1074223' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:30 AM']Bernard Edwards did the bass solo on "Get It On".

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kXaX5D6Ng"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kXaX5D6Ng[/url][/quote]
No, that's an excerpt from a much longer video, showing Edwards, Taylor and Nile Rodgers working out the parts Taylor would eventually play. But, in the interview sections, while all parties are discussing the recording process, it's clearly stated that Taylor plays all the final versions on the finished work.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1074904' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:59 PM']No, that's an excerpt from a much longer video, showing Edwards, Taylor and Nile Rodgers working out the parts Taylor would eventually play. But, in the interview sections, while all parties are discussing the recording process, it's clearly stated that Taylor plays all the final versions on the finished work.[/quote]

The version I've always heard is that Edwards was asked to help John figure out a solo. They came up with the one on the record, but it was agreed simply to use Edward's original rather than have John re-record it. Taylor did the rest of the song, but the solo was Edwards. If you have a look around the internet, this seems to be pretty common knowledge.