Why become a member? ×

7 String ACG build

Dread Bass

Well the snow cleared up sufficiently for me to get up to Moffat to finalise the spec for my new bass. I am pretty damn excited at this point.

Why a 7 string?
Basically i play in a tech/prog metal band and my guitarists are moving to 8 strings from 7. I was already playing my ACG 6 and using its full range and i didnt want to sacrifice a high string for another low so i have decided to take the leap.

Why go custom?
I am Left handed and have a very set idea on what i wanted. It is very difficult to buy lefty 7s off the peg and they are all mega bucks.

Why ACG?
My interest in ACG basses began when i saw pictures of Steves lefty 6 string on this very site I used to look at it and lust every few days. Long story short Steve found it hard to get used to the 6 strings and moved it on and i got it from Wildus.

ACG was the right choice for me because:
1) The asymmetrical neck
2) The flat f/board
3) Endless options
4) Builder being local ish
5) I love the designs
6) My 6 string is one of my favourite basses.
7) Awesome pickups

So the spec:
Recurve S type body
Alder body with Brushed black Laquer finish
Mad Mango fretboard
7 piece Wenge and Maple neck
RFS triple coil p/up built into a wooden ramp
all black hardware 18mm spacing
Liminlay side markers.
John East 3 band Preamp

That is the basic plan now the hard part....... waiting.

Comments welcome

Edited by Dread Bass

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1056449' date='Dec 12 2010, 08:19 PM']Alder body with Brushed black Laquer finish[/quote]
Sorry we haven't had a chance to meet up so you could see the brushed black in the flesh... but it looks like you've gone for it anyway. Good call! Looking forward to seeing the build take shape... :)

Cheers guys. I think its everything i want.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1056625' date='Dec 12 2010, 09:35 PM']Sorry we haven't had a chance to meet up so you could see the brushed black in the flesh... but it looks like you've gone for it anyway. Good call! Looking forward to seeing the build take shape... :)[/quote]

Not to worry. I wanted to get the spec sorted so i have just gone with it i dont think i will regret it :).

for anyone who is interested here is a preview pic of the Mango f/board.

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='1056778' date='Dec 12 2010, 10:59 PM']Not going for the filter pre?[/quote]

Nope. I have the filter preamp in my recurve though. This bass is designed to gig and tour with. I wanted something simple to adjust on the fly. Might be a bad move not going for the filter preamp but we will see. :)

Yeah I am so excited about it. I love the overall simplicity aesthetically. I have always fancied a ramp and the luminlays seem so cool. Have you heard about them yet? You basically shine a little torch on the side dots and they will illuminate for like half an hour :)

Edited by Dread Bass

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1062369' date='Dec 18 2010, 12:25 PM']Yeah I am so excited about it. I love the overall simplicity aesthetically. I have always fancied a ramp and the lyminlays seem so cool. Have you heard about them yet? You basically shine a little torch on the side dots and they will illuminate for like half an hour :)[/quote]

Yeah Robbie @ RIM is using them going forward. He posted some pics in his build thread recently in the affilates forum. He discovered them just after finishing my Marseer though. Doh.

They are pretty funky.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1063380' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:36 AM']....Its a cheap solution to the dark stage problem and doesn't involve batteries....[/quote]
Doesn't sound like a giant leap forward to me. Unless you only play 1/2 hour sets!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1098657' date='Jan 22 2011, 02:00 PM']Doesn't sound like a giant leap forward to me. Unless you only play 1/2 hour sets![/quote]

Well all the gigs I play are half an hour sets tbh. In the future if we get to do headlining tours it may go up to an hour. I only play original music. So I guess it suits my needs but not everyones. Just as well this custom bass is for me then!!!!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1098645' date='Jan 22 2011, 01:40 PM']For those of you who currently play a 7 string

whats the best way to get into playing a 7 string? I'm pretty interested![/quote]
Conklin GT-7 or GTBD-7. Almost everyone I know who plays/played 7s got into it through these basses. They're great quality, and you can pick them up for very decent prices second hand. Don't buy a Galveston off eBay just because it's cheap, only to be put off by the weight and clunkiness of it.

[quote name='Finbar' post='1102630' date='Jan 25 2011, 07:41 PM']Conklin GT-7 or GTBD-7. Almost everyone I know who plays/played 7s got into it through these basses. They're great quality, and you can pick them up for very decent prices second hand. Don't buy a Galveston off eBay just because it's cheap, only to be put off by the weight and clunkiness of it.[/quote]

Only problem with the Conklins is the price =S

They have no european dealer (even though i asked Bill Conklin himself and he said he would like one!) and thus the import tax combined with actual price comes out at like £1300 new,

I'd LOVE a Conklin GTBD-7 fully active basses aren't my thing, and it would have to be red haha (I'm so picky =S)

Weight isn't a 'huge' issue but clunky? How so? Generally unrefiened design?

Thanks guys

Wish i could afford to get a new GTBD-7 =(

Hi.

I have only played a seven once it was a Conklin. It was a nice bass. I would suggest you consider going the custom route it does work out cheaper than you think. The beauty is if you are picky like me you can have it exactly as you like.

When iget mine you are more than welcome to give it a blast.

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1104521' date='Jan 26 2011, 10:53 PM']Hi.

I have only played a seven once it was a Conklin. It was a nice bass. I would suggest you consider going the custom route it does work out cheaper than you think. The beauty is if you are picky like me you can have it exactly as you like.

When iget mine you are more than welcome to give it a blast.[/quote]

How much is your AGC looking like so far? :)

I'd love too should th oppertunity arise thanks man!

If your ever in the 'deen with the beast i'll take you up on that :)